PDA

View Full Version : Reasonably cheap hotels (or whatever) in LA?

LatteAddict
09-01-2006, 04:17 AM
Okay, so it's my turn to ask the inevitable question.

I'm coming to Los Angeles for the EXPO, and will be staying for a total time of about two weeks (either to meet interesting people, or just to foolishly walk around with my brilliant script under my arm for two weeks, OD-ing on caffé latté at various Starbuck's around town... we'll see what I manage to set up before I go...). :)

Anyway, I'm thinking about taking up on one of the offers from the Expo, staying at the suggested Sheraton LAX during the Expo Weekend.

However, that's seems a bit too far out of town (am I correct?) for the remainder of my stay, and also a bit too steep (this time I know I'm correct) for me to muster for two full weeks.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to stay, that won't drain my wallet completely, yet doesn't mean I have to sleep with cockroaches or drug dealers (or any combination of the two) for two weeks...? :)

Oh, by the way, who else is going?

/L.A.

SugarCubeNYC
09-01-2006, 11:59 AM
If you're traveling solo and relatively young (or young at heart), check out some of the youth hostels. Most have a very international vibe, are relatively clean, and usually well-located. Generally, you can do shared space for under $30 bucks a night, but even the singles or private doubles run under $80, which is a bargain in LA. My husband and I stayed at one right off the beach in Venice, and while it wasn't the Ritz (and actually, the one in Marina Del Rey is kinda tedious), it was do-able. Just be careful about the shower situation...

odocoileus
09-01-2006, 08:15 PM
get a couple of recent issues of the LA Weekly and the Los Angeles Downtown News. They have adds for cheap hotels in their classifieds.

http://www.ladowntownnews.com/classifieds/?loc=detail&main=Hotels

http://www.laweekly.com/

Cesahr
09-02-2006, 07:28 AM
Thats a great suggetion. Also, search for another thread that has lots of good links and suggestions from a few weeks ago.

GreatOz
09-02-2006, 09:16 AM
I've stayed at the Travelodge on Pico in Santa Monica a number of times. It's clean, confortable, and you get a free breakfast and free parking (very important when saving money). The downside: not the best neighborhood (but actually pretty typical L.A.-wise -- you just have to get used to the homeless), and not near any many eating places.

LAX is definitely too far away from most places of interest.

My favorite place to stay is the Farmer's Daughter on Fairfax. It's not cheap, however, but not deluxe prices either -- and right across the street from the original Farmer's Market with loads of great places to eat. Also just a block away from a Whole Foods market and a K-Mart.

Be careful trying to go too cheap in L.A. -- there are some real hellholes -- like the Econolodge near Paramount.

diehardatthegetty
09-02-2006, 05:41 PM
If you're here for two weeks, definitely stay at the beach. It will be off season by Expo time. You could probably get a room for around $100/night or less (which is about as it good as it gets for LA if you want to be able to walk to interesting places). Use Priceline if you want or try Orbitz. Or call and specifically ask a hotel for their best rate or their corporate rate. Tell them you're staying two weeks. You'll be surprised - you can get 40-50% of what they normally ask.

This is an old-style beachy hotel in Santa Monica that isn't fancy but decent and has kitchens (which is probably the only way you'll truly save money on your trip):
Cal Mar Hotel Suites
(310) 395-5555

zz9
09-03-2006, 06:31 AM
I've stayed at the Ocean Lodge Beach Hotel a couple of times ( 1667 Ocen Av (310) 451 4146 ) and while it's not actually on the beach it's one minutes walk from the Pier and a not unpleasant location. It has parking but I imagine would get full in peak season. Also the rooms are not airconditioned (or weren't a year ago) so avoid in high summer. Rooms were clean and comfortable and they had net access in the (small) reception. Cannot remember what I paid but it was very reasonable.

Directly oposite was a shop that hired out Segways but I didn't get around to trying one out!

BTW, if you have Google Earth (which you should, it's a hoot) you can zoom in on a location, hit the Lodging button and it will show all the hotels. Click on each one to get address and phone number.

Charli
09-03-2006, 07:49 AM
Look at hotel with "weekly" rates. They will save you a bundle if you are
planning on staying two weeks, and if you don't find an extended stay hotel,
then I suggest when you make the reservations, ask for a special rate
Sun-Thursday. The summer season is over and hotels are empty. No reason
to pay full rate during the week, or ask for an upgrade.

BROUGHCUT
09-05-2006, 06:49 PM
http://www.wilshirecrestinn.com/

Residential area nr Bev Hills; safe, clean and inexpensive.

Cesahr
09-06-2006, 06:48 AM
OOOh, good one!! Having just been to LA and staying at the West Hollywood Hyatt, I got a good feel for that area, how bad the traffic really is, and a rough idea of where stuff is. Thanks for all the great posts everyone.

LatteAddict
09-07-2006, 07:44 AM
My flight is booked and ready, now it's time to make reservations. Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

...so, really, no-one else is going to the Expo?
Am I missing someting vital, like... maybe it sucks?

:)

/L.A.