PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Genre Specific Referral Group

ylekot43
09-20-2006, 11:16 AM
For writers that focus on one genre of writing, I would like to start a group that contains one writer each in the genres of horror, action, thriller, drama, sci-fi, family, and Romantic comedy. I will be the writer for the Comedy Genre.

The purpose of the group will be to share a lead that doesn't apply to something we write in our own specific genre but could be helpful to someone else in the group. And since there will only be one writer for each genre, we can avoid stepping on each other's toes.

The only requirement, is that you have two optioned screenplays in the genre that you want to be eligible for (which will be verified). First come, first serve. Hopefully this can help members of the group get their scripts into the right hands.

Please PM if interested. Thanks.:)

ylekot43
09-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Interesting lack of responses. Is the two option requirement too much?

Joe Unidos
09-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Don't take this as an attack, but I think the reaction is the other way. Your post makes it seem like you are simply trolling for other people's contacts.

:)

ylekot43
09-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks Joe. Interesting -- I have had a couple good leads lately through my own contacts on scripts outside my genre and just didn't have anyone to pass them along to. Due to a couple recent options, I'm not even shopping anything right now. I just thought this might be something that could benefit everyone in the group.

seh
09-26-2006, 12:46 PM
I like the intent, but maybe it's not going anywhere because anyone that's got a foot in the door already knows where they are sending their next script. If you've got a couple of options already, you probably aren't hoping for the assistant at Benderspink's email address.

And you may think that getting someone to read your material isn't really that hard, actually. It's the getting them to sign the check part that is difficult.

Hamboogul
09-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Plus, if you have two MEANINGFUL options, you already have enough contacts you'll need to break into the business. If you have two MEANINGLESS options, well...

And the idea of sharing leads seems naive. Perhaps I'm selfish but I offer referrals almost never. And I find that my friends are about the same. Not because they are inherently selfish but because a referral or a lead is meaningless if it's so widely given out.

seh
09-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Tell the truth, 'boog. Your friends passed a lead on to you for a manager, you called the guy a commercial harlot, hung up the phone. Blogged him into infamy.
Now your buds won't send you referrals any more. Right?;)

ylekot43
09-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Plus, if you have two MEANINGFUL options, you already have enough contacts you'll need to break into the business. If you have two MEANINGLESS options, well...

And the idea of sharing leads seems naive. Perhaps I'm selfish but I offer referrals almost never. And I find that my friends are about the same. Not because they are inherently selfish but because a referral or a lead is meaningless if it's so widely given out.

I like your ALL CAPS -- this thread wasn't meant for people like you. You worry about your options, if any, and let me worry about mine.