PDA

View Full Version : WGAw Regestration for a Re-write

sstaubin
09-27-2006, 09:05 AM
I registered the first draft of a script back at the beginning of 2006. Since then I have completly re-written it. The second draft is a totaly different story, but it deals with the same basic concept.

I'm going to register the second draft also, but it has the same title as the first draft.

How should I register this? I was thinking about adding "Second Draft" to the title.

LIMAMA
09-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Save your money, you don't need to re-register. My God, if I re-registered my work with the WGA every time I made a major rewrite, I'd be in the poorhouse.

Joe Unidos
09-27-2006, 09:44 AM
Without starting a debate about the merits of copyrighting, I disagree with LIMAMA and say that you certainly should register it again.

Why?

Hypothetically, someone rips off your new draft. What value would you see in producing your LOC-certified material in court if it is "a totally different story" than the one you are suing over? What do you think that would prove?

sstaubin
09-27-2006, 09:53 AM
There's no question about re-registering. It's two different screenplays. Even the characters are different. Only the main concept and the title are the same.

My problem is registering two scripts with the same title.

It's called A World Without Roads and currently registered as that. Should I call the second registration A World Without Roads (Second Draft)?

Joe Unidos
09-27-2006, 09:58 AM
There's no question about re-registering. It's two different screenplays. Even the characters are different. Only the main concept and the title are the same.

My problem is registering two scripts with the same title.

It's called A World Without Roads and currently registered as that. Should I call the second registration A World Without Roads (Second Draft)?

I think the LOC paperwork has the option of making it a revision of a previously registered work.

sstaubin
09-27-2006, 10:06 AM
I'm from Canada, Joe. LOC doesn't work for me, so I register with WGAw.

LOC will not cash a cheque in US funds from a US account drawn against a Canadian Bank. Their suggestion was to get a friend who resides in the US to submit the work.

Can you believe that?

Hasil Adkins
09-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Should I call the second registration A World Without Roads (Second Draft)?That would work.

WGA registration only establishes a date of existence for the work, so you can even call it the same title, too..

LIMAMA
09-27-2006, 01:49 PM
LOC and WGA are two different animals.