PDA

View Full Version : Austin

ihavebiglips
10-01-2006, 11:51 PM
I just applied for a job in New Braunfels, TX - about 50 miles from Austin.

Does anyone here live in Austin, or near it? I'm curious about the independent filmmaking scene there, I know about Linklater coming out of there, and the AFF and all of that... but is there much of a business side there? Any reputable prodco's, managers, etc? Or are we still just looking at the good old Hollywood Mecca?

It would be nice to get back to the States, though I do like the quiet solitude of my volcanic island home.

Thanks!

cvolante
10-08-2006, 04:35 PM
I think it's great but I know zero about LA or the movie industry or anything.
There are about 80 zillion young filmmaker types here and a lot of resources. I'd say New Braunfels or however you spell it is way too far away. I'd move to Austin.

Goon Squad
10-08-2006, 05:27 PM
No way is N.B. 50 miles from Austin. Is it really? I don't remember those trips to go river tubing taking that long to get to. :)

Austin is VERY indie friendly. And a hell of a great place to live. I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to live there or nearby. Central Texas rules.

ihavebiglips
10-08-2006, 06:41 PM
No way is N.B. 50 miles from Austin. Is it really? I don't remember those trips to go river tubing taking that long to get to. :)

Austin is VERY indie friendly. And a hell of a great place to live. I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to live there or nearby. Central Texas rules.

Well, that's a mapquest mileage determination, probably from the center of Austin to the center of NB.

Yeah, my mom lives in Schertz, I've been up to the river in NB, but didn't tube it (yet!). I love that area, the Austin filmmaking scene is just another reason to be interested. The problem is, I might have to take a sizable paycut for this job.

Hmmm... we'll see, should have an offer sometime this week.

Thanks, folks!

roper
10-08-2006, 08:32 PM
As far as the real estate, New Braunfels is kind of a small resort community on the Guadalupe River. It is not that far from Austin. I would say, less than an hour on a good day. Although, Interstate 35 can be treacherous at times.

The cost of living in New Braunfels compared to Austin? Let's just say Austin is a much more expensive place to live...according to Texas prices. Both places are growing in leaps and bounds.

So, if you're buying it's a good time.

cvolante
10-09-2006, 06:43 PM
If you're coming here for the movie thing I'd highly encourage you to live really way south Austin or maybe Buda or something and drive to work rather than vice versa. Just my opinion. They have a lot of filmmaker mixers and screenings and Q&As and things and they're all downtown right after work so you want to be able to be there and feel like haggling through the traffic. I met someone who was at UT and then moved to San Marcos and now he's kind of out of the whole film thing and some of it seemed to do with the distance. It's just that much farther away. But the pay cut thing can kill you. Get a cheap house and then get maybe a bit cheaper than you planned. You don't want to be here and be too poor to do anything. Apparently East Austin is cheap and now is getting to be really cool. But like I said, I don't know anything about anything. I just got here. Actually I'd *encourage* you to be rich and live somewhere really cool right by the lake or whatever. But. Hey.