PDA

View Full Version : slapping down $2500

yeehi
10-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Lets say you have fulfilled the writing requirements (http://www.wga.org/subpage_whoweare.aspx?id=84) for membership of the Writers Guild of America West.

Would you go ahead and pay $2500? In your case, why?

Mac H.
10-06-2006, 03:48 AM
I thought it was one of those bizarre compulsary obligations that people in the 'land of the free' are forced to join. (That kind of thing is illegal here)

If they send you a notice to join, then isn't your only other option to become a 'financial non-member' (or whatever) and still pay but have no real benefits?

(Or if you live East of the Mississippi you can opt to join the WGAe instead, or something like that.)

Incidentally, I've never had a straight answer on what happens if you live north or south of the Mississippi - or on the other side of the world. Or, more to the point, I've had several straight answers, all from people in various WGA committees who SHOULD know. They haven't agreed with each other

Mac

cvolante
10-06-2006, 05:37 AM
I was told they take the money right out of your first check and you're in. Mandatory.

odocoileus
10-06-2006, 06:00 PM
If you do a certain amount of work for a guild signatory company, you must join. You must pay dues. This is true for the Writers Guild, the DGA, and SAG.

It's possible to work for non signatory companies and individuals, but no one builds a career that way. The good jobs, money, and reputation are all with signatory companies. Non signatories are also more likely to abuse you/put you in hazardous conditions/rip you off.

Goon Squad
10-06-2006, 06:07 PM
I don't imagine one would want to navigate this industry without being a member of the union, although I'm sure there are those who do for one reason or another.

But if you think that $2500 is painful - wait until you see what the innocuous sounding 1.5% quarterly dues amount to.

GreatOz
10-19-2006, 04:47 PM
As a dues paying, card-carrying member, let me say that without the WGA, Hollywood would chew up and spit out and stomp on writers even worse than they already do. Believe me, it's a small price to pay to have them watching your back -- and enforcing the Basic Minimum Agreement.

The free DVDs and scripts you get from the studios around Christmas are nice too... (because members vote on the WGA awards.)

And then there are little things like a pension and health insurance that also comes your way.