PDA

View Full Version : Do financiers ever...

phatgirl
11-04-2006, 05:43 AM
... want to meet the writer of a project before they commit $$? Or is the writer not a consideration? (This is not an indie-situation.)

Cesahr
11-04-2006, 06:58 AM
This is a good question but I am not sure exactly what your situation is. If you're hooked up with a prod co its up to them and you to set the meetings up however you need to. If you're producing and writing on your own, yes you will because who else will do it.

phatgirl
11-04-2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks Cesahr - I am hooked up with a prodco. Just didn't want to sound like a maroon if I said I'd be happy to meet with the money-peeps.

Cesahr
11-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Okay, you WANT to be there if for no other reason than for when they go "how about you start with your ending and move 'such and such' direction.." at least then you can keep the dream alive by thinking on your feet and throwing something together off the top of your head. Or you can argue plot points and confirm they actually READ the script and know that Gabrielle is, in fact, the dog and not the main character...

Good luck, hope this helps.

jimjimgrande
11-04-2006, 10:40 AM
It would totally depend on who these people are phatgirl. Whether they want to be hands on and feel creatively involved, or not.

phatgirl
11-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Yes, I understand. Problem is I don't know just yet who these people are. Anyway, I threw out my offer to meet. Here's hoping I don't get laughed out of the room.

Thanks, C & JJ.

kidcharlemagne
11-05-2006, 04:55 PM
I guess it depends on the financiers but I'd say they are more interested in:

1) Whether you have names attached or a name director
2) Whether you have a good sales agent attached
3) Whether you have finance from other sources/a viable finace plan
4) Whether the producers have a track record

Some of the financiers I've dealt with have assessed the script but if the above boxes are ticked off I can't imagine, in most cases anyway, why they would want to meet with the writer. It's the producers job to introduce the script, give notes, and ensure the chain of title before it goes into production. I imagine they would be more keen to meet the director.

phatgirl
11-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks Kid.