PDA

View Full Version : A question on sequels

GhostWriter
11-24-2006, 07:32 AM
I have written the first script to at least a two part story. The entire story could be told in say 2 - 3 hours but we new writers are always told, "never submit a script that is over 120 pages long" right? The first half of the story can stand alone with an ending that, like " Pirates 2" begs for a sequel and the REAL ending.

My question is: In my query letter do I just taught the virtues of the script that is written with little or no mention to the sequel or do I lay all my cards on the table and cover the entire plan?

seh
11-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Don't mention the sequel. It will make you seem not like a writer, but like someone dreaming of becoming a writer someday. Make the LESS than 120 page script as good as it can be, make it stand on its own.

Make it great. Good luck.

DaltWisney
11-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Do NOT mention the sequel. It's a tell-tale sign of an amateur. For the most part, you can forget about making an epic. Only proven commodities are given that chance. Take a look at some recent movies that ran at least 2 hours and 20 minutes:

King Kong - Directed by Peter Jackson
Kingdom of Heaven - Directed by Ridley Scott
The Aviator - Directed by Martin Scorsese
Alexander - Directed by Oliver Stone
Pirates of the Caribbean 2 - Directed by Gore Verbinski
Superman Returns - Directed by Bryan Singer

Notice any trends here? All of these projects were directed by guys who had already proven successful. In addition to that, Superman, Pirates, and King Kong were based on ideas that had already proven successful.

It costs a lot to make a movie. It costs even more to make a long movie. What makes you think a studio will want to finance a 3 hour movie by you, the complete unknown writer of absolutely nothing of note?

I don't mean to be rude, but you need to be realistic. This is a business. People who green light pictures want a sure thing. You are not a sure thing until you've done some noteworthy work.

GhostWriter
11-24-2006, 01:22 PM
Those are the answers I most wanted to hear. This way I`ll clean up twice!