PDA

View Full Version : Logline Sales on Done Deal...?

csparks
12-13-2006, 10:02 AM
I am curious whether or not anyone has ever sold a script, or generated prod. co. interest in their script, through posting it on this thread (via PMs, etc...).... ?

santino2699
12-13-2006, 10:15 AM
it's been known to happen.

S

Joe Unidos
12-13-2006, 10:21 AM
it's been known to happen.

...although if that is what you hope to get out of being a DD member, you will almost certainly end up disappointed.

No, not "almost." You will definitely be disappointed.

csparks
12-13-2006, 10:25 AM
no... i'm just trying to weigh the "risk" of posting my loglines on a public forum against the potential gain of selling something...
i guess a follow-up question would be: anyone post a logline on DD and see it made into someone else's movie years later..? (jk).
but WOW satino...i did not think anyone would say that it DID happen... very, very interesting....hmmm....

Joe Unidos
12-13-2006, 10:29 AM
no... i'm just trying to weigh the "risk" of posting my loglines on a public forum against the potential gain of selling something...

IMHO, both the potential risk of someone stealing it and the potential gain of someone seeing it and buying it are both the same, hovering right around zero.

If your log is perfect and super high-concept, don't post it in hopes of someone buying it. If your logline isn't perfect, use DD as a learning tool.

csparks
12-13-2006, 10:39 AM
what if my logline is perfect, but not super high-concept... THEN can i post it in hopes of selling it.... :)

Bellabell
12-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Done Deal is not a place where people normally come looking for material to option. It does help to network with other board members. Opportunities have popped up here and there.

csparks
12-13-2006, 11:30 AM
i must say i am quite impressed that 2/3 of those who have responded so far either have, or know of someone who has furthered their script via posting on DD.... i have found DD very useful for advice and insights into the industry, etc., but it is also encouraging to hear that the DD forum catches the attention of those who can make deals done....

santino2699
12-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Listen to Joe.
Not only is he an awesome writer, in my opinion, but he knows the biz.

Never post a logline for any other reason than to get help with it.

That said...

(And I've told this story before, so forgive me folks that have heard it.)

I posted the log for my very first script here called Operation: Naughty List.
As I was learning from the kind writers at this site on how to better craft it, I was PM'd by a freelance development exec from a major studio.

Yadda yadda yadda....three months later they purchased it outright.

Was it a one-in-a-million occurence?
Probably.
But it happened.

Good luck to you.
Santino

Joe Unidos
12-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Listen to Joe.
Not only is he an awesome writer, in my opinion, but he knows the biz.

Never post a logline for any other reason than to get help with it.

That said...

I posted the log for my very first script here called Operation: Naughty List.
As I was learning from the kind writers at this site on how to better craft it, I was PM'd by a freelance development exec from a major studio.

Yadda yadda yadda....three months later they purchased it outright.

Probably.
But it happened.

Good luck to you.
Santino

Exactly. You go to the ballgame to have fun with your pals, not to meet your future wife. Sure, you might meet your future wife in the center field bleachers --but if that's your goal when you pass through the turnstiles, you aren't going to enjoy the game very much.

PS -Santino, your story reminds me of the Seinfeld bit:

George: You don't think she would yada-yada sex?
Elaine: (raises hand) I've yada-yadaed sex. I met this lawyer, we went to dinner, I had the lobster bisque, yada-yada-yada, I never heard from him again.
Jerry: Yeah, but you yada-yada-ed over the best part!
Elaine: No, I mentioned the bisque...

santino2699
12-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Joe...

That's funny.
I actually did it intentionally so I didn't bore anyone with the details.
But truth be told, there are a ton of details.
Nothing about it was typical.
But this isn't about me.
I was just trying to get to the point.

Thus, the "yadda-yadda".

:)
S

csparks
12-13-2006, 12:12 PM
yes... BUT assuming we are all writers who are trying to make a living writing ("find a job you love doing, and you'll never work a day in your life"), its all fun and nice to post on a message board, but it 's even BETTER if it's a message board where, even with the smallest of chances, a deal could, in theory, be made.... (i mean, i don't know about everyone else, but i stumbled upon done deal trying to find a way to sell screenplays...though it is not the reason i post)

for example, you could watch the game at home... but going out, knowing you MIGHT meet your future wife... adds a bit of incentive, without taking away from the fun of the game (may even enhance it, just knowing the possibility is there....).

writerman
12-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Joe...

That's funny.
I actually did it intentionally so I didn't bore anyone with the details.
But truth be told, there are a ton of details.
Nothing about it was typical.
But this isn't about me.
I was just trying to get to the point.

Thus, the "yadda-yadda".

:)
S

A writer's success story is never boring.

:D

Jcorona
12-13-2006, 12:23 PM

I've heard it like a million frickin' times and I still don't believe it. Enough!!!!

Corona

Jcorona
12-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Just messin'. :)

Seriously, I ain't surprised. You come up with some great ideas, Santino.

Corona

Jcorona
12-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Speaking of ballgames, I went to a game this year where I sat in the third deck . . . top row . . . in the corner. I love to have a full view of things and don't like to strain my neck watching all up close and stuff.

A man walked his elderly dad to their seats close to mine. Dad had to look at the sports page through a magnifying glass. He'd then pull away from the magnifying glass and look at the little ant players.

I was glued to dad.

When the game was over, son asked dad if he enjoyed the game. Dad said he loved it.

I was the last one to leave.

Corona

writerman
12-13-2006, 12:56 PM
I was the last one to leave.

Hey, someone's gotta sweep up.

:rolling:

dpaterso
12-13-2006, 01:54 PM
I got solicited by a high class hooker after posting a logline here, if anyone's interested in that story.

-Derek

ihavebiglips
12-13-2006, 02:42 PM
I got solicited by a high class hooker after posting a logline here, if anyone's interested in that story.

-Derek

Bring it.

Hamboogul
12-13-2006, 03:51 PM
There are even Done Dealers who "sell" the scripts to themselves and manage to get them listed in Done Deal script sales.

earlyman75
12-13-2006, 07:28 PM
There are even Done Dealers who "sell" the scripts to themselves and manage to get them listed in Done Deal script sales.

Huh? Come on, you can't leave it like that. No names, but more info please.

BROUGHCUT
12-13-2006, 07:28 PM

Yup, an awesome logine getting posted on this board is a one-in-a-million occurence.

My math's terrible--do we multiply the odds now and get a 1-in-a-billion chance of writing a cool marketable concept and selling it, or is there a much more positive message here?

Buzz2074
12-15-2006, 01:39 AM

Whoa--- two words, Ham. DE and TAILS!