View Full Version : Putting music in movies: A few questions...

01-10-2007, 04:40 AM
Hi, I'd like to know how do movie producer/music supervisors put songs in movies. I have some questions here: 1) In the movies Casino and Goodfellas there's an extensive use of 60's and 70's rock and big band music. Isn't this very expensive? 2) How much of a movie's budget do the producers set aside to music rights/ sample clearance? 3) Can or Do music artists object to use of their music in a film? For example, Martin Scorcese often uses rock music during violent scenes. Why is he allowed to? 4) If you use songs that were specifically recorded for the movie or from one or two labels is it cheaper? 5) I've noticed that certain names repeatedly come up as music supervisors on certain movies, such as Happy Walters who often oversees "Urban" music soundtracks. Where are they hired from? 6) Finally, can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much these songs might cost according to popularity/the potential film's budget? 50 Cent - In The Club, Madonna - Music, Maroon 5 - This Love, Rolling Stones - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, Kylie Minogue - Love At First Sight. I know it's complex, but it would also help a lot.

Mac H.
01-10-2007, 05:13 AM
If you aren't too fussy about the exact piece of music (so are settling for a genre rather than a particular artist & song) then the music can be done for fairly 'standard' rates without having to negotiate for individual tracks.

For example, the standard APRA rate is about $130 AUD per 30 seconds (or part thereof) for cinema release in all territories.

If you have about half the time with some vague background music, (I picked that figure out of the air because it made the maths easy) then you can license music for about $12k USD.

However, they'll also need an extra $560 AUD (per 30 seconds) for the DVD release. And if it is shown on TV then another flat license fee is paid again, and the same for any use in internet ads for the movie, etc. Alternatively you can pay $1000 AUD per 30 seconds for an all media/all territories buy out.

If you just want to license it for smaller markets, than it can be cheaper.

However, that is for 'non-name' (but good quality) music. If you want a particular track, then the major brands are becoming rather net-savvy. Now you can just navigate to the Warner Music webpage, select a track, fill out a form and they'll send you a quote for licensing the individual track .. (pending other agreements of course)

Good luck with finding the answers to your questions.

(PS: I have no experience in this .. I just happen to have the Australian Production Music Rate Card (2006) sitting on my desk. I'm sure others will clarify the bits I got wrong)