PDA

View Full Version : THE DEVIL'S DEADLINE: Sex & Murder Short Challenge

Adam Isaac
02-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Welcome to my little Sex & Murder Showcase. Please, help yourself to a drink, and I'll explain to you why you're here.

The Devil's Deadline is a short competition; loosely inspired from my fascination with the classic film noir stories of the 40's and 50's. Sex and Murder were given a new cape and cowl during this period; moving them down even darker alleys than ever before.

This doesn’t mean you have to write a film noir story. You can make it any genre or style you want, but the assignment must revolve around: one or both of these lurid story topics.

The length of each short script must be a minimum of 5 pages, and a maximum of 7 pages. I’ll repeat that one more time: 5 page minimum-7 page maximum.

Popular vote will decide who places in the top three spots. All prizes will be shipped 2nd day air. Cash prizes will be in the form of Money Order, and booze will naturally be liquid in a brand new bottle(no moonshine, I promise:D ). Winners will discuss their prize options with me via PM immediately after the results have been made official. I want you all to understand that I am 100% serious about this contest, and want to get as many participants as possible for this contest.

Prizes include:
1st place=$50 or bottle of $50 booze/wine.

2nd place=$25 or bottle of $25 booze/wine.

3rd place=Double Indemnity on DVD(Single disc) or $10.

Submissions will begin on MARCH 1 and end on MARCH 25. Then we will all vote for the winners up until April 8, 2007. Monday, April 9 will be the official winner's thread, where I will arrange for prizes to be shipped to the Top 3 vote getters.

NOTE TO ALL PARTICIPATING:

Just PM(Private Message) me your submissions, and I will post your short sans the author's name. After voting ends, I will add the author names back on each short script.

Submissions start tomorrow. Also, before you send me your submissions please PREVIEW your PM and edit accordingly.

Good luck....oh yeah, I'm entering too....so bring your Controversial side if you want too....Lord knows I will.

IndieMe
02-26-2007, 03:54 PM
[quote=Adam Isaac;338914](no moonshine, I promise:D ).

Bummer!! :mad:

Moonshine rocks! Risky for the eyes, but it's worth it.

Kidding aside :rolleyes: is there anyway you can host this and post the scripts anonymously like it was with the Valentine's Day one?

J off course
02-26-2007, 04:01 PM
I have a feeling a lot of under-aged drunks are going to enter.

Fortean
02-27-2007, 04:08 AM
Aha! Is this Adam Isaac's sly plan to determine the identity and age of DD members, (when he requires identification before shipping out the booze)?

Won't work with Canadians. "All alcoholic beverages including wines, etc." are items prohibited from shipment from the States to Canada, (according to the U.S. Postal Service (http://pe.usps.gov/text/Imm/immicl/immiclcd_003.html)).

Remember to use the pink International Postal Money Order, form MP1, (payable only in U.S. dollars), when sending funds to Canada.

And, are multiple entries allowed?

dpaterso
02-27-2007, 06:51 AM
Are international entries allowed? :D

-Derek

Adam Isaac
02-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I think I'm going to copycat Derek on the anonymous submission bit. I like how that rule works.

Fortean,

Two script MAXIMUM. No more than two though.

I'd like this to be adults only, but I know there are a few youngsters on here, so the alcohol option will not apply to them. It's cash only for those guys.

The alcohol option may or may not apply to you depending on where you live. I could actually purchase a gift certicate from the desired liquor company you chose, and ship that internationally. We'll weigh your options when we get there.

I know it isn't much bounty, but playing for a little something should make it interesting. If it succeeds, we'll do it again in six months. If not, no biggie.

The point of this exercise is to bring out some of the darker motifs in everyone's writing, but I know some people don't care to explore that part of themselves, so we'll allow the lighter stuff too.

Let's shoot for a minimum of (30) submissions....that would be cool.

dpaterso
02-28-2007, 01:33 AM
<SLAP!> Wake up, punk!

So where are we sending these bad boys? <SLAP!>

And what format <SLAP!> do you want the submissions in? <SLAP!> Oh, you like that, do you? Well here's some more! <SLAP! SLAP! SLAP!> Now get up off the floor, put on your dress and fix your make-up for God's sake, you look like a cheap whore!

...Talking of which, InterHooker offers customers the option to send a hooker to anyone, anywhere in the world. Rates start at $25.00. I'm just saying.

-Derek

EJ Pennypacker
02-28-2007, 06:43 AM
May I make a suggestion, and that's everyone include in their sig lines:

THE DEVIL'S DEADLINE: Sex & Murder DDp Short Challenge

And possibly hyperlink to this page to drum up enteries?

EJ

cmmora
02-28-2007, 08:13 AM
May I make a suggestion, and that's everyone include in their sig lines:

THE DEVIL'S DEADLINE: Sex & Murder DDp Short Challenge

And possibly hyperlink to this page to drum up enteries?

EJ

This is a great idea EJ.

Adam Isaac
02-28-2007, 08:52 AM
<SLAP!> Wake up, punk!

So where are we sending these bad boys? <SLAP!>

And what format <SLAP!> do you want the submissions in? <SLAP!> Oh, you like that, do you? Well here's some more! <SLAP! SLAP! SLAP!> Now get up off the floor, put on your dress and fix your make-up for God's sake, you look like a cheap whore!

...Talking of which, InterHooker offers customers the option to send a hooker to anyone, anywhere in the world. Rates start at $25.00. I'm just saying.

-Derek

Check your PMs, D.

I'll figure out the best way by end of day.

ylekot43
02-28-2007, 09:25 AM
You beat me too it Adam. I've aranged for some really cool industry judges for my own contest (judging based solely on the most compelling first ten pages). The judges have agreed to read the winner's script and pass it along ONLY if they REALLY REALLY like it.

But now I'll put off my contest until the end of april. :)

Adam Isaac
02-28-2007, 09:48 AM
I'll be down for that one too.:cool:

This is experimental right now, but if it goes well then I'll do another Devil's Deadline for an Halloween/Autumn time frame.

sc111
02-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Adam - I'm in! Let me know where to email.

Ylekot's contest looks good.

:)

Adam Isaac
02-28-2007, 10:06 AM
NOTE TO ALL PARTICIPATING:

Just PM(Private Message) me your submissions, and I will post your short sans the author's name. After voting ends, I will add the author names back on each short script.

Submissions start tomorrow. Also, before you send me your submissions please PREVIEW your PM and edit accordingly.

Good luck....oh yeah, I'm entering too....so bring your Controversial side if you want too....Lord knows I will.

sc111
02-28-2007, 10:14 AM
We can attach files to PMs?

Or do we paste pages into the message area?

Adam Isaac
02-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Message area.

I'm trying to keep the editing to a minimum, and formatted attachments can get messy when we're, essentially, just using plain text. This allows for the names to be easily stripped from each script, and it also keeps me from editing every script submitted so it's spaced sufficiently.

dpaterso
02-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Adam, see latest PM.

I think (could be wrong) PMs might be limited to max 5,000 characters. Forum messages (e.g. in Script Pages) are limited to max 10,000 characters which roughly translates to around 7 script pages.

Can moderators confirm please?

-Derek

theblondewritr
02-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Awesome Adam! My juices are already flowing...hmm sex and murder.

FYI, I hope to come in Third. Who's on first.

Kwvillen
02-28-2007, 05:45 PM
blonds and boos: :rolleyes:

Like moths to a a flame...

Knew it was only a matter of time before you would chime in on this discussion, theblondewritr:

:rolleyes: :D

Actually, that will be the name of my entry: Blonds and Boos. So don't any of you steal it!

:D

KWV

ylekot43
03-01-2007, 08:28 AM

Knew it was only a matter of time before you would chime in on this discussion, theblondewritr:

Actually, that will be the name of my entry: Blonds and Boos. So don't any of you steal it!

KWV

I'm naming mine: DPAT'S PIRATE MURDER MYSTERY

Jcorona
03-01-2007, 09:06 AM
It's only fitting that the first DEREK be given out for sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex or murder.

Corona :D

ezread
03-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Derek was right. I've tried it and the PMs will only allow 5000 characters.:mad:

So would you like us to split it up, and send two different PMs?

Or leave it all squished together, which reduces the number of characters, but is a pain in the butt to read.

Adam Isaac
03-01-2007, 11:58 AM
(2) PM's IS FINE.

Kwvillen
03-01-2007, 12:50 PM
ylekot43: I'm naming mine: DPAT'S PIRATE MURDER MYSTERY

KWV

theblondewritr
03-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Lmao KW, the funny thing is you miss-pelled both blonds AND boos. :rolleyes:

I am like the Moth/grasshopper. :eek: Predictable but a bit 'jumpy'

Kwvillen
03-01-2007, 02:52 PM
theblondewritr: Lmao KW, the funny thing is you miss-pelled both blonds AND boos. :rolleyes:

I am like the Moth/grasshopper. :eek: Predictable but a bit 'jumpy'

It was a test: :rolleyes:

KWV

theblondewritr
03-01-2007, 02:56 PM
A test of what, the Emergency Broadcast System?

Kwvillen
03-01-2007, 03:05 PM
theblondewritr: A test of what, the Emergency Broadcast System?

:rolling:

:| ...Okay then, you have been studying your lessons. Now you are ready for the ultimate test, grasshopper:

Which is correct?

1. Edumacated
2. Educated

[No spell check allowed]

Also, to turn on a light would you:

A. Flick a switch?
B. Open a car door?

:devil:

KWV

theblondewritr
03-01-2007, 03:33 PM
ROFLMAO :rolling:

#1 is correct
#2's SOP with the muckitymucks

As to the latter A & B , I choose something not listed,
C. ALL OF THE ABOVE

WTF?

LMAO

theblondewritr
03-01-2007, 05:20 PM

KWV

Moths to a flame, horse to water...

I thought we were done with cliche's. :rolleyes:

Kwvillen
03-01-2007, 09:43 PM
theblonodewritr: Moths to a flame, horse to water...

I thought we were done with cliche's. :rolleyes:

theblondewritr... :rolleyes: You know we have a very long history of derailing Writing Exercises Threads. We ARE a DD Cliche.

KWV

ihavebiglips
03-01-2007, 10:21 PM
theblondewritr... :rolleyes: You know we have a very long history of derailing Writing Exercises Threads. We ARE a DD Cliche.

KWV

My sentiments exactly. Get a room! :bounce:

Kwvillen
03-01-2007, 11:48 PM
ihavebiglips: My sentiments exactly. Get a room! :bounce:

See what I mean...

:| :) Even the responses are predictably cliche.

The only reason that the Mods continue to put up with us is that we bring a little funny to this crazy place.

We're dclary. But not as intelligent.
A thrilly. But not as endearing.
We're every Priya. When we should be Boobsies.
Qazworld. Without rosy colored glasses.
We're Vig. On prozac, and without an imaginary brother.
A Harbinger. But not quite that serious.
Every dpaterso. Minus the brogue.
BROUGHCUT. In lower case.
We're clueless. But from this planet.
Hairy Lime. Without dry wit.
ihavebiglips. But sober.
Every Adam. In color tv.
Jake. Without the pretense.
A Fortean. But, come "noh"... we're from the U.S.

We are all of things. Yet we are not. We are an enigma, you and I, theblondewriter.

KWV

dpaterso
03-02-2007, 01:29 AM
It's only fitting that the first DEREK be given out for sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex or murder.
Associating Derek with any kind of sex is oxymoronic.*

<wistful sigh>

* oxymoron n. figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction.

-Derek

Jcorona
03-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Dp, I don't know what an oxymoron is. I've heard it and read it but I don't know. Okay, I just looked it up and they had rhetorical and incongruous in the definition. Now I'm really confused.

But I know, I just know, your post was sexy.

Corona :D

Fortean
03-02-2007, 11:48 AM
theblondewritr... You know we have a very long history of derailing Writing Exercises Threads. We ARE a DD Cliche.
Derek, are you also compiling a list of potential murder victims for this challenge?

TDWoj
03-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Derek, are you also compiling a list of potential murder victims for this challenge?

Potential? I thought they were hands-down winners...

FADE IN

Okay. I've got that far... what comes next?

EXT. NIGHT - STORMY

Oh, dear...

(T finds herself moved up on the list of murder victims)

dpaterso
03-02-2007, 01:47 PM
I'll kill you all with my bare hands if it means winning this contest.

-Derek

ylekot43
03-02-2007, 01:50 PM

-Derek

I couldn't figure out how to end my submission until you posted this. It makes perfect sense. DPAT kills every last motherfvcker on the Board --Genius.

Kwvillen
03-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Fortean: Derek, are you also compiling a list of potential murder victims for this challenge?

:|
(gulp).

KWV

TDWoj
03-02-2007, 04:04 PM
:|
(gulp).

KWV

Run! Run for your lives, or you'll be up to your armpits in....

Wait a minute. I've heard that somewhere before.....

(b-duh-b-duh-b-duh, that's all, folks!)

Adam Isaac
03-02-2007, 04:14 PM

-Derek

Just don't be like this guy:
http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/69/hughesfaceplantaq0.gif

theblondewritr
03-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Well, now that we have all that Post-mortum out of the way (cough)...

Adam Isaac
03-05-2007, 08:50 AM
SUBMISSION REMINDER:
PM me your submissions. There is a 10,000 character maximum so you will probably have to send it in (2) or (3) parts.