PDA

View Full Version : Numenorean Films

Muckraker
02-05-2001, 11:03 AM
Anyone heard of them? Based in CA -- they're requested a script of mine. Are they a real deal?

frankee2
02-07-2001, 08:24 AM
Me, too. I sent an email and got a request to send in my script uncomfortably fast, but I'm sending it. -z.

CRASH
02-07-2001, 08:31 AM
They're not listed in the Hollywood Creative Directory. Are they another internet based company?

TheByrd
02-07-2001, 12:33 PM
Hmmm...

NF seems to be asking for everybody's sp. Mine, too, was requested, with a note asking me to include a copy of the email with my script to alert the assistant not to 'put it on the pile with the rest of them' but to give it immediately to Cary Solomon. They didn't even ask for a release form. There's a similar thread going on over at Zoetrope, but no one seems to have heard much of them there either. One poster said the following:

"Their forte seems to be original movies for TNT and HBO. Cary Solomon, one of the principals, asked for two of my screenplays, which I sent about three weeks ago."

And that's as much as anyone seems to know about them.

If anyone finds anything more, let us all know. I'm wondering if there's anyone out there whose script they <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--> haven't<!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> requested.

BHill
02-07-2001, 01:12 PM
It might make you feel better (but now I'm starting to feel very unwanted) but they passed on reading my script but asked to see other ideas.

It could have been a medium thing, I'm not sure my script would play well on TV.

Let us know how things progress with them.

GirlinGray
02-08-2001, 04:24 AM
It creeps me out when you kids determine a company's legitimacy by whether or not they ask for a release form.

A release form does not help you. Ever. Release forms are against you. Always. Avoid them whenever possible. Certainly do not use them as a warranty of a company's legitimacy. They are not.

Doug Raine
02-08-2001, 09:47 AM
Here's what I know (they also requested a script of mine). Cary Solomon and his partner had 3 scripts produced by a company named Interlight. Cary was also listed as "associate or co-producer" on them. Interlight got their money from Korea, Daewoo Autos to be exact. Daewoo has folded (so don't buy their cars). I called Interlight. The assistant to Patrick Choi informed me that "yes we had done business with Cary Solomon, but the last time was 1998. A far as I know, we had no problem in dealing with them."

A friend of mine directed one of those three pictures. He had never heard of Cary Solomon. When he did the show there had been quite a number of writers on the script. He never knew him as a "producer".

Cary and his partner also wrote/developed/produced a TV series titled THE IMMORTAL.

So, I don't know at what point they became involved with Interlight. They have posted their company at the moviebytes location for a couple years now. My gut feeling is they may be a little to removed form the source. And, I will hold off on sending my script, because it seems to be generating its own buzz with other companies.

That's all I have. Best of luck.

Beauty Cream
02-18-2001, 06:05 AM
cary and chuck are real. numenorean are a DTV company based in b/hills. they are writers themselves and have good contacts.

numenorean films
po box 11409
beverly hills california 90210

re: release forms. the girlingray wrote a reply i would have written. re: doug raine's info i can vouch for. without stating my workplace, we have dealt with numenorean.

steeves
02-18-2001, 12:02 PM
...make me uncomfortable... legitimate companies *usually* have a street address listed.

expat in LA
02-18-2001, 04:20 PM
They too requested my script back in December. When I followed up a week ago, Cary emailed me to say they couldn't find it. Not very impressed I'm afraid!

badger
03-15-2001, 03:02 PM
I have REPEATEDLY tried to contact Numenorean, but all I get are mailer deamons. Anyone have a CURRENT, FUNCTIONING Edress?

Muckraker
03-15-2001, 03:49 PM
Cary Solomon hit me a while back from numenor@pacificnet.net

The site is up now www.numenoreanfilms.com

AndyWarholsGhost
08-12-2001, 06:39 PM
Just as an update that may benefit someone down the road, these guys are in the HCD producers book, #42. They did request for me to sign a release form, and I don't know if this is a general practice, however after I pitched them, they requested the first ten pages of my scripts, then contacted me after they read them.

ferds
11-26-2001, 04:30 PM
Do they even exist anymore? I emailed them twice and never got any response. :rolleyes

AndyWarholsGhost
11-26-2001, 08:23 PM
ferdy,
They have been covered in two screenwriting mags lately. Creative Screenwriting was one and Hollywood Scriptwriter (Screenwriter?) was the other. Give em a read.

E J Pennypacker
11-27-2001, 10:50 AM
Look through the archives of this topic. You will find another thread about Numeneorean which contains some links to a chat with two of the guys who run it.

They are legit. They wrote the recent Race Against Time starting Eric Roberts (2000). Check it out at the imdb.com.

EJ

E J Pennypacker
11-29-2001, 10:00 AM
They also just signed Sly Stallone on a golf SP, and Samuel L Jackson has shown an interest once the SP is finished.

EJ

PS: Having read through a interview on their site, it does look like they read only 10-20pgs of scripts sent to them. Tip, make the first pages the best.

ferds
11-29-2001, 11:29 AM
EJ, I'l bear that in mind. Thanks. :)

shelly
11-29-2001, 10:02 PM
Ferds,

I checked out their site at www.numenorean.com and they have a new submissions section for loglines so I gather that they may not be responding from numenor@pacificnet.com

E J Pennypacker
11-30-2001, 04:55 AM
Yes they are, it says so on their site. Anyone who has sent a mail and not recieved anything, should resend it. That is, if you didn't follow their guidlines on how to submit, in which case they are ignoring you. Have a look at their interview, they tell you what they want and what they don't want.

EJ

shelly
11-30-2001, 09:08 AM
E.J.,

I think you misunderstood me. There was an email address that Matt Verboys and Cary Solomon responded from numenor@pacificnet.com but since there is a brand new section on their website for submissions I gathered that is why Ferds has not been getting a response, if indeed he has been sending his query through the old email address.

ferds
11-30-2001, 07:29 PM
shelly,
thanks for the tip. anyway, a quick yahoo search revealed this as the correct link <a href=http://www.numenoreanfilms.com/index2.html>http://www.numenoreanfilms.com/index2.html</a>. :)

superzug
02-14-2002, 11:58 AM
thought I'd refresh this thread for those responding to Numenorean's call for submissions.

lillie1459
02-21-2002, 07:20 PM
I sent them a query and Matt responded the same day requesting two of my scripts. I was pretty happy. Now we'll see.
lillie

lillie1459
02-21-2002, 07:32 PM
I sent them a query and Matt responded the same day requesting two of my scripts. I was pretty happy. Now we'll see.
lillie

Dean
04-30-2002, 02:01 PM
Any updates from those that submitted their scripts?

AndyWarholsGhost
04-30-2002, 02:38 PM
Still on the head of developments desk, waiting. I just emailed them yesterday to touch base.

Antihero I
04-30-2002, 10:39 PM
It took a three months to hear back, but after getting a favorable read from their "front line", the VP of development passed on my script.
They were very polite and appologetic over the delay and offered to read more of my stuff in the future.

StoryDude
05-01-2002, 01:17 AM
Numenorean Films receives 6,000-8,000 scripts a year,
of which they produce 2 maybe 3 films a year. You do the math.

Dean
05-01-2002, 11:31 AM
At least they seem legitimate. They seem like they sincerely want to help writers and are willing to receive unsolicited material.

moorea01
05-01-2002, 12:05 PM
The principals of the company have a sale as writers listed on the Script Sales page from within the past few days. Other than the Sylvester Stallone project they're developing, they seem to lean towards turning comic book material into films. At least as far as I can see, that seems to be their niche.

AndyWarholsGhost
05-01-2002, 12:56 PM
Maybe that's why they were so busy, they were getting the Sly thing finished. Who knows?

If you blow up the numbers mentioned above, it's probably about same percentage as all of HWood.

I didn't want to do the math. You do it.:)

dclary
05-01-2002, 02:20 PM
I queried them via their tool online, and they said they'd look at the script.

Pretty standard, right?

Has anyone ever been turned down at that point?

AndyWarholsGhost
05-01-2002, 02:44 PM
Yeah, they didn't want to see my comedy about a guy who believes the world is actually a computer program, but can't get anybody to believe him.

Go figure.

dclary
05-01-2002, 02:55 PM
Whoa!