PDA

View Full Version : 2007 MOTEL MACABRE results

Adam Isaac
11-22-2007, 08:47 AM
I FEAR NOTHING-6 votes....winner AND STILL WRITING EXERCISE CHAMPION...from the cold state of Michigan: ARROWAY!!!

HELL ON EARTH...GOODBYE TO MAN-3 votes...written by SIGNAL30.

THE UNSPEAKABLE-2 votes....written by...NERIUM

These were the only entries collecting multiple votes.

Those also recieving votes:
EVE OF SAMHAIN
DANCE WITH THE DEVIL
FROM APPLE TREE TO APPLE TREE
CAUSE AND EFFECT
THE CHATTERING
LUCID
DON'T GO IN THE BATHROOM

If you didn't vote, you're A SLOW READER.

Mister Q
11-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Sounds about right! Congrats to Arroway and everyone who entered (unlike me - long story).

Arroway
11-22-2007, 09:29 AM
woot!

i would have liked to see my other entry win as i'm in the process of outlining a feature length version of it but...this is still cool.

:turkey:

who were the judges?

dpaterso
11-22-2007, 09:53 AM
I emptied my bank accounts to grease palms so I could win this contest, and this is how it turns out?!

Damn judges, driving around in their shiny new cars while I gnaw on shoe leather...

Big congrats to the winners!

Commiserations and sweaty virtual hugs to the non-winners, let's go get a beer.

-Derek

Signal30
11-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Why... thank you.

And congrats, Arroway.

That said, who wrote "From Apple Tree to Apple Tree"? I really, really liked that one. Swell writing, concept and a grim payoff that really delivered for me. I'd love to see this one translated into a short film.

I also think that "Donut Break of the Dead" is a dynamite premise (a zombie apocalypse from the POV of C*O*P*S) that could be fleshed out into a feature.

Not to say that I didn't enjoy the other entries, but I was really rooting for those two.

After mine, course.

mcornetto
11-22-2007, 11:40 PM
Well done everyone (you too Adam). Some really nice writing in those that were mentioned and and those that weren't too. I'm ready to compete again, so bring on the next one.

elis
11-23-2007, 06:13 AM
Congrats Arroway,
and all the other participants for competing.
This was my first horror/ supernatural genre attempt. It was a good writing excersise, thanks Adam.

ComicBent
11-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Adam, why don't you publish the names of the authors of all the entries?

I don't think anyone would mind.

My own scoring was based on six differently weighted factors, entered into an Excel spreadsheet:

Plot and Interest ... 35%
Format & Grammar ... 15%
Characters ... 15%
Success ... 15%
Filmic Quality ... 10%
Likeability ... 10%

Yes, it does add up to 100% ... I double-checked it just now! :)

Each script received a score of 1 to 5 in each category. I was pretty tough in my scoring. The highest score that I actually gave in any category was a 4. If a script had dumb formatting mistakes and bad grammar/spelling, it got a 1 or a 1.5.

It is interesting that my top pick was also the top pick of the other judges, but after that my selections were different. This should show people how subjective the selection process is in a contest. In other words, if you do not win, or even place, it does not mean that your work stinks! :)

#1 "I Fear Nothing"
I ranked it first because of the underlying idea, which was its greatest strength. However, it would not be cheap or easy to turn into a film. I gave it a 4 in Plot & Interest, Characters, and Success. I had to give it low marks in Format & Grammar and in Filmic Quality.

#2 "1408 Refurbished"
I scored it high in Plot & Interest and in Characters, but low in Filmic Quality and Format & Grammar.

#3 "Youth"
High marks in Characters, Filmic Quality, and Likeability. A low mark in Format & Grammar, and a mediocre mark in Plot & Interest.

Many of the other entries were close in score to my #2 and #3 selections.

dpaterso
11-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Interesting scoring system, Ray.

I dare say I might have been doing something similar as I read each entry, juggling the numbers mentally. Probably my most important criteria were: Can I visualize this as a film? Would I be interested in watching such a film? How easy would it be to actually make this as a low budget short?

Which brings me to say, I'm wondering if there might be value in making one-sheet scoring system available for future contests, just as a rough guide to help grade scripts (for those who want to use it).

-Derek

Arroway
11-23-2007, 04:35 PM
since when did it have to be low budget? thank god that wasn't part of the criteria...

signal, i also wrote "apple tree". it was the one i was rooting for as i'm now trying to expand it into a full fledged story. i'm glad to hear someone else appreciates the merits of a dark ending.

who wrote eve of samhain?

LMPurves
11-23-2007, 05:37 PM
who wrote eve of samhain?

Me.

LMPurves
11-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Whoops!

Almost forgot to congratulate everyone.

Not just the winners, but everyone who entered. Great job, and some really fine writing!

And thanks, Adam, for putting it together.

Signal30
11-23-2007, 06:15 PM
signal, i also wrote "apple tree". it was the one i was rooting for as i'm now trying to expand it into a full fledged story. i'm glad to hear someone else appreciates the merits of a dark ending.
I appreciate a dark ending when it's organic to the story, which yours definitely was.

Generally though, I think most downbeat endings in horror films are just pointless copouts... the filmmakers seem to think that it's required.

But good luck on expanding the piece... curious to see where you go with it.

sc111
11-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Congrats to all -- sorry I didn't vote. I was tied up with a monster freelance job working day and night to make the deadline.

Hope you leave up the entries so I can read them all.

Oh - I wrote Lucid.

dpaterso
11-24-2007, 11:28 AM
since when did it have to be low budget? thank god that wasn't part of the criteria...
Heh, no rule says they have to be... but short films, unless they're commercially backed (like, for example, the spectacular BMW ads with Clive Owen a couple of years ago) are by nature low budget/low FX -- a camera, a script, and maybe a couple of local actors (or more likely the writer/director's friends and family). I wrote my entries with this in mind, and very probably shied away from voting for entries that needed $$$. I'm not claiming I'm right, I'm just saying how I'm a-thinking.

ps - Cause & Effect and Diva were mine.

-Derek

J off course
11-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Congrats to Arroway.

My vote went to Signal's "Goodbye to Man"

What a deliciously fast, fun read that was.

Thanks to Adam even though the finale was
a little damp and occured on a holiday when
everyone was out of town. ;)

Kevan
11-25-2007, 11:24 AM
Just wanted to say congratulations to the winners and everybody else who took part and wrote a script for this one..

A big thanks to Adam for organising and the judges for their tireless efforts..

Interesting exercise, good work here by everybody..

IndieMe
11-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Congrats to the winners.

My vote went to "I fear nothing" so congrats to you for writing it and thanks to everyone else for entering.

When's the next one? :)

Adam Isaac
11-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Adam, why don't you publish the names of the authors of all the entries?

I don't think anyone would mind.

My own scoring was based on six differently weighted factors, entered into an Excel spreadsheet:

Plot and Interest ... 35%
Format & Grammar ... 15%
Characters ... 15%
Success ... 15%
Filmic Quality ... 10%
Likeability ... 10%

Yes, it does add up to 100% ... I double-checked it just now! :)

Each script received a score of 1 to 5 in each category. I was pretty tough in my scoring. The highest score that I actually gave in any category was a 4. If a script had dumb formatting mistakes and bad grammar/spelling, it got a 1 or a 1.5.

It is interesting that my top pick was also the top pick of the other judges, but after that my selections were different. This should show people how subjective the selection process is in a contest. In other words, if you do not win, or even place, it does not mean that your work stinks! :)

#1 "I Fear Nothing"
I ranked it first because of the underlying idea, which was its greatest strength. However, it would not be cheap or easy to turn into a film. I gave it a 4 in Plot & Interest, Characters, and Success. I had to give it low marks in Format & Grammar and in Filmic Quality.

#2 "1408 Refurbished"
I scored it high in Plot & Interest and in Characters, but low in Filmic Quality and Format & Grammar.

#3 "Youth"
High marks in Characters, Filmic Quality, and Likeability. A low mark in Format & Grammar, and a mediocre mark in Plot & Interest.

Many of the other entries were close in score to my #2 and #3 selections.

Yeah, that's today's mission.

I've been in Virginia, and around a number of family members the past 5 days.

We're getting back on track today. All WRITTEN BY'S will be posted during my lunch hour.

Also, weiners will be contacted for address/shipping/recieving info.

Adam Isaac
11-26-2007, 08:45 AM
Arroway, you just won the f*cking 2007 PLATINUM PEN!!!

Which by the way has never been kissed.

I've only got about (53) business related emails to siff through, so, it will speed things up for me if you post your submission titles in this thread(I'll post them in original thread); otherwise I have to dig through the downloaded entries for the contest(no biggie though).

Cool Running, we're off to a great start on our serial, but man I've been gone...tonight & tomorrow I'll get back on track on our collaborated effort. I'll get all your PMs at once. I still owe you my AInotes(4) message on our cast.

Everyone else, see you at Touch Of Noir on JANUARY 2ND, 2008!!!!

Adam Isaac
11-26-2007, 11:24 AM
Apologies to everyone. There's no possible way that I'm getting a lunch hour today....just isn't happening.

I'll try and do all the WRITTEN BY'S tonight; although, now there seems to be a possible family crisis involving my younger brother, so we'll see. Crazy times...just got to keep fighting though--stay dry and all of that.:umbrella:

Charli
11-26-2007, 04:08 PM
I voted for, "Cause & Effect" - I felt this was something I could actually 'film' so congrats to the winner and thanks to all who participated.

nerium
11-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Cool stuff guys, all the entries were fun reads. Congrats to Arrowhead and Signal30!

dpaterso
11-27-2007, 12:34 AM
I voted for, "Cause & Effect" - I felt this was something I could actually 'film'
Bless you and your good taste! :)

-Derek

Adam Isaac
11-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Cool stuff guys, all the entries were fun reads. Congrats to Arrowhead and Signal30!

Who the Hell is Arrowhead? Is he like Apache Chief from the SUPER-FRIENDS?

nerium
11-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Who the Hell is Arrowhead? Is he like Apache Chief from the SUPER-FRIENDS?

Yep, exactly like that-- manskirt and all. I clearly need to drink MORE before coming online to post. Sorry 'bout that Arroway...

Adam Isaac
11-27-2007, 02:18 PM
TRIXY (ezread)
HELLA'WEEN (Signal30)
HELL ON EARTH...GOODBYE TO MAN (Signal30)
CAUSE AND EFFECT (dpaterso)
DIVA (dpaterso)
1408 REFURBISHED (ezread)
THE UNSPEAKABLE (nerium)
FROM APPLE TREE TO APPLE TREE (Arroway)
I FEAR NOTHING (Arroway)
LUCID (sc111)
HENRY THE ANGEL (asjah)
WAITING FOR ROSEMARY (Kevan)
HALLOWEEN (elis)
DENTISTS ARE PEOPLE TOO (habronic)
THE CHATTERING (ihavebiglips)
EVE OF SAMHAIN (LMPurves)
YOUTH (rdg)
DANCE WITH THE DEVIL (Mark Twain Weck)
METHODE HUMANE (J Off Course)
T (J Off Course)
EXTERMINATION (IndieMe)
DON'T GO IN THE BATHROOM (mcornetto)
DONUT BREAK OF THE DEAD (habronic)

GREAT JOB guys!!!

Adam Isaac
11-27-2007, 02:26 PM
By the way, ARROWAY actually got (3) other votes for I FEAR NOTHING, which came in later.

So (9) votes for ARROWAY....the man can write, peoples.

He has won DEVIL'S DEADLINE:SEX & MURDER TRIBUTE and MOTEL MACABRE: THE FEAR AND SUPERNATURAL PAGES!!!

He has truly earned the 2007 PLATINUM PEN AWARD!

:cool:

habronic
11-28-2007, 04:57 AM
woot, grats to the winners, commiserations to the other losers. looks like if anyone else wants a look-in next contest we'll have to send the hired goons round arroway's house. or we could just learn to write more betterer. :P

I also think that "Donut Break of the Dead" is a dynamite premise (a zombie apocalypse from the POV of C*O*P*S) that could be fleshed out into a feature.

it's been in my ideas folder for a couple of years, but i can't figure out a way to make it full length. any sane human chucks the camera and picks up a gun at the end of the 1st act. =)

it would be cool to do it as a creepshow style movie and show 4-5 different horror situations told through the style of a cops episode.

wenonah
11-28-2007, 08:53 AM
woot, grats to the winners, commiserations to the other losers. looks like if anyone else wants a look-in next contest we'll have to send the hired goons round arroway's house. or we could just learn to write more betterer. :P

it's been in my ideas folder for a couple of years, but i can't figure out a way to make it full length. any sane human chucks the camera and picks up a gun at the end of the 1st act. =)

it would be cool to do it as a creepshow style movie and show 4-5 different horror situations told through the style of a cops episode.

I love this idea ~ sort of a discovery of "secret files" of cop-style videos where things turned out a little different than expected... X-files meets COPS. I'm pretty sure the camera person wouldn't make it through all of them.

It was a tough competition and some great writing, congrats to the winners .

wenonah

LMPurves
11-28-2007, 02:20 PM

Went through and re-read your submission.

You could easily pull this movie off in the form of four mini "vignettes", that intertwine through the story.

Start with the network, who puts FOUR camermen on this assigment, all with different cops, all in different sections of the city.

Run the feed live, jumping back and forth between each "vignette" as the evening progresses.

True, if this was a "normal" movie, the cameraman would probably quit by the end of the first act, when the going got really freaky... but with four "short stories", you would have enough for a whole script.

Plus, four separate cameramen, each with their own "unique" personality, and "unique" reaction to the situation, gives you a lot of room to play with different emotions.

You have an interesting enough concept, that you could break every "screenwriting rule", and still pull off a relatively cognitive storyline.

Just my humble opinion.

Good luck.

claudias kingsley
11-29-2007, 12:07 PM
space/universe

Any Sci-Fi events planned?

asjah8
12-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Back from vacation at last.

Very nice work Arroway! You definitely upped the bar with that entry!

Best,
asjah8