PDA

View Full Version : March Madness!!!

Adam Isaac
03-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Look, I've got a crap load of work that just hit my desk, and to be honest...I could use a little help in terms of exactly how we're going to do this.

This is SKETCH comedy this time.

Should we spare no expense in terms of subject matter, making contemporary politics and current events fair game? I don't want Will to get sued or anything, and I certainly don't anyone to get banned over something they've written.

?

I think I'm just going to wing-it on the guidelines then. 6 pages sound about right?

Wouldn't it be cool to set it up like a Tournament Bracket? Have a round of 32(1-on-1 write-offs), then a round of 16(1-on-1 write-offs), then a round 8(1-on-1 write-offs), then a round of 4(1-on-1 write-offs), and conclude with the Championship match?

Maybe 32 is too many. I doubt we'll get 32 different writers to enter.

Or we can just the old fashioned way: Write to enter, and wait for votes?

I like the Tournament idea. We could set an initial deadline for 3/16/08(or whenever the NCAA tourney starts), and the winners who move on will have 1 week to write another sketch script for their next matchup...and so on and so forth until we get to the FINAL FOUR, and then make the new dealine 5 days.

WHAT DO THE CRAZY PEOPLE HAVE TO SAY TO THAT?

Perhaps the first 16 people to enter, maybe? Or maybe we should do have an INVITATIONAL ROUND(which would be like a traditional contest, but with only 3 pages MAXIMUM, and then everyone can judge on the Top 16 sketches, and THOSE sketches make it into the MARCH MADNESS SKETCH TOURNAMENT on the 3/16/08.

The object of this Writing Exercise is to run a DEADLINE GUANLET similar to that of what a professional Sketch Comedy Writer has to face each and every week.

SNL writers don't just write one sketch, and retire...they keep on writing 'teh phunny' on a day-to-day routine.

If the INVITATIONAL ROUND fails to qualify 16 sketch writers, then we'll make it a 12 Writer Bracket, and the TOP 4 will get an extra 'bye-week' to prepare for their Round of 8 match-up.

This is a bold commitment for me, and to whoever wants to enter this contest, but I promise you that I will do whatever I can to get the Tournament Champion some sort of real-deal professional SKETCH COMEDY WRITING prize...I'm only one man though, I can only chug one c*ck at a time....or maybe my hot Hawaian friend Mimi can help with that.

I'm at lunch right now, so let's hear your opinions on this SKETCH COMEDY TOURNAMENT proposal.

OzFade
03-03-2008, 10:31 AM
I don't know but I've got dibbs on doing a three stooges parody of dpat, J over and Mr. Martell.

ezread
03-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Should we spare no expense in terms of subject matter, making contemporary politics and current events fair game?

Yes.

and I certainly don't anyone to get banned over something they've written.

If nobody got banned for some of the entry's that were posted in your Sex & Murder comp, I don't think this should be a problem.

Adam Isaac
03-03-2008, 12:20 PM
You're probably right, Eric.

I think I'm just going to wing-it on the guidelines then. 6 pages sound about right?

Wouldn't it be cool to set it up like a Tournament Bracket? Have a round of 32(1-on-1 write-offs), then a round of 16(1-on-1 write-offs), then a round 8(1-on-1 write-offs), then a round of 4(1-on-1 write-offs), and conclude with the Championship match?

Maybe 32 is too many. I doubt we'll get 32 different writers to enter.

Or we can just the old fashioned way: Write to enter, and wait for votes?

I like the Tournament idea. We could set an initial deadline for 3/16/08(or whenever the NCAA tourney starts), and the winners who move on will have 1 week to write another sketch script for their next matchup...and so on and so forth until we get to the FINAL FOUR, and then make the new dealine 5 days.

WHAT DO THE CRAZY PEOPLE HAVE TO SAY TO THAT?

Perhaps the first 16 people to enter, maybe? Or maybe what we should do is have an INVITATIONAL ROUND(which would be like a traditional contest, but with only 3 pages MAXIMUM, and then everyone can judge on the Top 16 sketches, and THOSE sketches make it into the MARCH MADNESS SKETCH TOURNAMENT on the 3/16/08.

The object of this Writing Exercise is to run a DEADLINE GUANLET similar to that of what a professional Sketch Comedy Writer has to face each and every week.

SNL writers don't just write one sketch, and retire...they keep on writing 'teh phunny' on a day-to-day basis.

If the INVITATIONAL ROUND fails to qualify 16 sketch writers, then we'll make it a 12 Writer Bracket, and the TOP 4 will get an extra 'bye-week' to prepare for their Round of 8 match-up.

This is a bold commitment for me, and to whoever wants to enter this contest, but I promise you that I will do whatever I can to get the Tournament Champion some sort of real-deal professional SKETCH COMEDY WRITING prize...I'm only one man though, I can only chug one c*ck at a time....or maybe my hot Hawaian friend Mimi can help with that.:bounce:

I'm at lunch right now, so let's hear your opinions on this SKETCH COMEDY TOURNAMENT proposal.

theblondewritr
03-03-2008, 12:37 PM
HECK YEAH! *flexing fingers*

edamame
03-03-2008, 12:39 PM
This sounds like a really fun idea.

:bounce:

Adam Isaac
03-03-2008, 12:53 PM
I've decided. We're going to do this Tournament idea.

Around Midnight tonight I'll post the Official Guidelines thread for the INVITATIONAL ROUND. I will also release audio of my pet Tasmanian Devil(Shocka) upon the forum. Once you hear that mind-shattering sound that Shocka makes, that will mean: LET THE TOURNAMENT BEGIN!!!

doubler83
03-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Can't wait to read the entries.

Adam Isaac
03-03-2008, 01:15 PM
25+ Invitational entries is the 1st goal...

16 Tournament qualifying writers the next...

8 winners after that...

4 Final Four writers the next, and then down to...

2 Finalists in the Championship Match, giving us...

1 Sketch Comedy Champion!

Fortean
03-03-2008, 01:49 PM
25+ Invitational entries is the 1st goal...

16 Tournament qualifying writers the next...

8 winners after that...

4 Final Four writers the next, and then down to...

2 Finalists in the Championship Match, giving us...

1 Sketch Comedy Champion!

I think that this is how American presidents are elected. Madness, indeed!

Angeloworx
03-03-2008, 02:43 PM
It sounds fun!

May I suggest something? How about for the first round, you stick with the 1 page format since there will be a lot? Each round, more pages. Just an idea because 3-6 each time feels long to me as a writer and voter.

Adam Isaac
03-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Noted.

Better to have more than 1 page for a sketch comedy. Dialogue is pretty prevalent in most sketches, and 1 page won't be enough...but keep in mind the page total is a MAX not a MIN requirement. If you only need 1 or 2--run it.

Maybe something like this???

3 pages for the Invitational Round
3 pages for the 1st Round(Sweet 16)
4 pages for the Quarterfinals(Elite 8)
5 pages for the Semi-Finals(FINAL 4)
5 pages for CHAMPIONSHIP

?

kintnerboy
03-03-2008, 03:31 PM
I am in for this. I have never participated in a writing excercise and have never written a sketch before, but I will give it a shot. Would be nice if there was about 2 weeks to throw something together.

J off course
03-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Adam, would you mind tossing a post our way with a definition
and guidelines for sketch comedy like you did with Film Noir?
That really proved useful for someone like me.

When I think sketch comedy, I think a TV skit on a variety show.
Should we be writing this in a TV script format?

Adam Isaac
03-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Good question.

I'm going to say either/or for now(the judging side of things has to keep this in mind).

Thinking of making the INVITATIONAL deadline TUESDAY, March 18.

I'll make everything official tonight.

IndieMe
03-03-2008, 09:40 PM
I get a feeling that the poster known as the DRAGON will enter this one --

Who's the Dragon?

I'm called that at work, but....

I'm probably no good at sketch comedy, but I'm willing to give it a try.

DeaconBlu
03-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Very interestink. I'll give it go as long as I don't have to leave my house. I don't like the looks of those teenagers.

tha son
03-03-2008, 10:54 PM
I love how you mention your at lunch as you wrote the first comment, as if that's has any relevance to this lol. I would join in on the fun (good idea if you can get 32 writers) but comedy sketches aren't much of a strong point as of now...

Adam Isaac
03-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Having a midnight snack with my wine and whiskey now, people...carry on.:rolling:

Adam Isaac
03-03-2008, 11:17 PM
but comedy sketches aren't much of a strong point as of now...

Better enter anyway just to be safe.

Comedy sketches will be bigger after this is over.