PDA

View Full Version : Robert Kosberg

Grrr8 Tiger
04-27-2004, 06:59 PM
Has anyone dealt with Robert Kosberg before? Has he ever ripped anyone off? Does he pitch to production companies or directly to the studios? Any feedback is appreciated.

SebsWrtrDad
04-27-2004, 07:12 PM
covered this a few weeks ago. BUT - Have not worked with him, though I have seen him speak. Worked with a friend - went nowhere. He pitches to everyone -- prodcos and studios. Has had a lot of stuff bought - but I don't know how many thigns made. Not someone who will sell you or your script, so much as your idea....

But not a shady, ripping off sorta guy from what I hear.....

SebsWrtrDad
04-29-2004, 07:06 PM
There is a pretty good article on him in the new issue of Creative Screenwriting.

0]

Grrr8 Tiger
05-01-2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback and the tip on the article, but I just checked the Creative Screenwriting website and it didn't list anything about him in there. Is it under a different article, perhaps?

Paula413
05-02-2004, 06:40 PM
I haven't heard anything about him, recently, but he has a long history of good things. I heard him pitch a few years back and he is excellent at it. The story he is telling leaps out at you. He had a website (moviepitch.com I think ) I bought the cd a few years back but haven't used it lately. He's made millions and maybe has retired. My guess.

elephant1978
05-02-2004, 07:36 PM
The thing is...from what I've learned he really isn't going to help your career. Just earn you a few bucks. He basically buys a simple idea off you and then develops it himself or with a known writer to the point of pitching. He pitches, gets the deal, and for obvious reasons hires a known writer to pen the project. I don't think you even get story credit. So once the money's spent, you really have nothing to show for it. It's nothing to put on your resume.

Ele...

SebsWrtrDad
05-03-2004, 12:54 PM
It's the latest issue -- Volume 11 #3, May/June issue -- has a big picture from The Day After Tomorrow - the frozen Statue of Liberty -- on the cover....

Dunno if it's on the website -- in the mag it's on page 16 under 'People' - the title is How to Succeed at Screenwriting (without writing a word).

According to the article, there have been occasions where projects he has pitched have allowed a first-timer to write their own script.

But like Ele said, he's more of an idea salesman......

rapscholar
05-04-2004, 12:58 PM
Rob Schneider will star in and produce Fearless, an SF comedy based on an original pitch by Travis Mann and Bob Kosberg, for Revolution Studios, Variety reported. Fearless is the story of a meek soldier who is transformed into a fearless fighting machine when he becomes the subject of a top-secret experiment, the trade paper reported.

Josh Lieb (The Simpsons) is writing the script. Schneider, his brother and producing partner, John Schneider, and Michael Chinich will produce through their From Out of Nowhere production company, the trade paper reported. Mann also will produce, while Kosberg will executive produce.

-from scifi.com

Scriptman
05-04-2004, 12:59 PM
Title: Fearless
Log line: A timid soldier is transformed into a fearless fighting machine when he becomes the subject of a top-secret experiment.

Writer: Josh Lieb
Agent: Ariel Emanuel of Endeavor Agency
Buyer: Revolution Studios
Price: n/a
Genre: Comedy
Logged: 5/4/04

More: Based on a pitch by Travis Mann and Robert Kosberg. Travis Mann and From Out of Nowhere Productions' Rob Schneider, John Schneider and Michael Chinich will produce. Robert Kosberg will executive produce. Rob Schneider will star.

SebsWrtrDad
05-04-2004, 01:17 PM
So is Marvel Comics suing for infringement on their 'Captain America' copyright?
:rolleyes

ust goes to show you -- some ideas are all in the casting -- that could have been a pitch for a serious movie.....

mitch1000
05-04-2004, 08:57 PM
any contact info for Travis Man?
thanks

MakingMagic
05-05-2004, 01:10 AM
Dealt with him once...but it's because we eat at the same place often.

>D

As for the business end...well, he's working and makes the trades often. However, that don't mean crap!

MM

NCRocketFan
05-14-2004, 06:30 PM
Just finished reading the article in Creative Screenwriting on Robert Kosberg and decided to venture into his web site and check things out. Seems in order to pass along a high concept idea to him you first have to register, which entails purchasing a $20 ($3.50 S&H) CD on pitching.
Is this another case of a Hollywood insider ripping off screenwriter ‘wannabes’? Has anyone purchased the CD? Does it have any value? Thoughts? Comments?

Regards,

Justinpz
05-15-2004, 12:33 PM
I sent him an idea via email based on that same article and he called me the next day. I didn't have to register or purchase the CD. He didn't mention it at all.

Justinpz- since 1965

www.roguewriter.com

Alpha286
05-15-2004, 12:38 PM
The cd is supposed to teach people what a good idea is, how to find/think of good ideas, and write loglines, so that he doesn't get tons of bad ideas sent to him.

It doesn't have any good info on it, if you have been writing even for a little while, you know almost everything on there. I'm not saying don't pay the $20, if you think you have an idea he can use $20 is nothing.

elephant1978
05-15-2004, 04:43 PM
justinpz--what was your interaction with Kosberg like? What's the procedure? Any info would be helpful. People on this board have been trying to get to the bottom of this guy for a while.

Ele...

Justinpz
05-16-2004, 04:38 AM
He was very nice and polite. A fast talker. But I guess when you're labeled the "pitch king" of Hollywood, every second and breath counts.

He knows what he's talking about. He asked for a 2-3 page treatment on an idea I submitted. I turned in 5! :o

I guess I choked under pressure since I had no story only the idea for a script and he decided to pass. :x

Or maybe he just couldn't find anyone interested in it.

Justinpz since 1965

www.roguewriter.com

fatbrain35
05-24-2004, 12:31 AM
I asked the same question about a month ago and I did buy the cd. I have sent the guy a few ideas and got no response but the same ideas I sent him I pitched (sorta) to two other people and they loved them or so they said and they are in cali just need to get something on paper.

I do have to question your submission not saying you did not get a response but according to his website

There really is no way to submit an idea to him without buying his cd first, there is a form you fill out after you get ready to send him an idea and then it gives you instructions. It does lean towards someone else reads them first then submits the ones they think are good to him, says it may take up to 8 weeks to get a response and none at all if he does not think it is pitchable.

I am just curious if you did not get an email from the webmaster who has contacted me back almost immediately on a few questions I had.

I am new to this as well and will continue to submit ideas to him but will explore other avenues,

I wish you luck if you did speak to him we all need a good shot in the ass to keep doing this stuff eh?

Justinpz
05-24-2004, 01:40 PM
I read the article in Creative Screenwriting about him and went to his web site but it was down so I emailed him with the address given in the article but that was wrong. So I just faxed him and he called the next day.

I never bought the cd or even registered on his site. His assistant did email the proper instructions on submitting for future reference.

Justinpz Since 1965

www.roguewriter.com

SebsWrtrDad
05-24-2004, 01:46 PM
Any chance of getting the correct info? Just would be nice to have the right info for my 'rolodex'.

By rolodex I mean, the napkin next to my computer.

Justinpz
05-24-2004, 04:56 PM
Sure. FYI, they don't like to be faxed.

Justinpz Since 1965 www.roguewriter.com

ROBERT KOSBERG SUBMISSION POLICIES:

READ THIS MESSAGE CAREFULLY - FOLLOW ALL OF THESE POLICIES AND FORMAT OR
YOUR IDEAS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED

Please submit any future ideas to us via email to bobkosberg@yahoo.com

The deal:

In SUBJECT LINE of email, use the following format:

If submitting ONE IDEA, put the TITLE (and please come up with something, no
matter how generic) in ALL CAPS followed by your name in parentheses, then
the date - it should look like this:

* MY BRILLIANT IDEA (Jane Doe) 12-14-03

(Oh, and if you think that using MY BRILLIANT IDEA as your title is
hilarious, please reconsider your career in comedy)

If submitting MULTIPLE IDEAS, the subject line should read your name +
"ideas" and the date, like this:

* Jack Smith ideas 12-14-03

In the BODY of the email:

* Convey your idea in a few sentences or a paragraph - this means make it
short and sweet: NO full scripts or treatments. BUT do what you can to sell
your idea to Mr. Kosberg!
* NO ATTACHMENTS!!!!!!!!
* Relay the project's status: "I have a completed script." Or "I have a
treatment for this TV series."
* Include name and phone number (very important - Mr. Kosberg does NOT
respond via email) after the idea(s).

FAXING IDEAS:

ONLY fax if you have articles or other materials unavailable for email - our
efax is (send just like a regular fax) 530-483-3257

PLEASE NOTE:

Mr. Kosberg will contact you if he is interested in your project. Due to
our high volume of submissions, he does NOT respond or give feedback on
projects that he is not pursuing.

The only exception...if your idea is similar to something we already have on
our slate, we will let you know.

Do NOT mail in submissions!

Thank you and we look forward to receiving your ideas.

Robert Kosberg
Robert Kosberg Productions
C/o Nash Entertainment
1438 N. Gower St.
Box 10
Hollywood, CA 90028

323.468.4513 ph
530.483.3257 efax
bobkosberg@yahoo.com

fatbrain35
05-25-2004, 09:38 AM
If you submit it through the website moviepitch.com here is the generic response you get

Dear Daniel Marcantel,
Thank you for sending us your idea submission entitled "BLAH". This is your confirmation that we have received your idea. Use the print button below to make a copy for your files.

Your short description was:
BLAH BLAH BLAH DE BLAH BLAH

And your full description, if you included one, was:
Work In progress
We will use the information below to contact you...
E-mail: tdmarcantel@yahoo.com
Telephone: 888-888-888

Remember, you will not receive any feedback from us on this idea unless Robert chooses it as one to pursue. In that case, he will contact you, most likely by telephone, for your permission to pitch it.
Robert may take as long as six weeks to review your submission. In some cases, ideas are set aside in a file for later review -- mainly if Robert thinks the timing is off to pitch that idea now. If he decides in the future to pitch that idea, he will contact you first.
Remember, your submissions are your property, and you may submit them elsewhere.
Sincerely,
Webmaster, MoviePitch.com

SebsWrtrDad
05-25-2004, 02:09 PM
Thanks Justinpz for the contact stuff and fatbrain for the response details -- I don't think I'll be hitting him up now, but it's good to have.

I think this quote --Remember, your submissions are your property, and you may submit them elsewhere. -- is interesting -- I guess they get a lot of folks who might not know any better. 'Don't hang your hopes on any one opportunity' should be one of the first non-writing lessons learned by screenwriters...

KidCharlemagne108
02-22-2005, 04:36 AM
I've never been on his web site. I just read his book and called him up. Seems like a nice guy. He just said send the ideas over (to the email in the thread below) and he said "if I'm interested I WILL get back to you".

I never heard from him on the 3 ideas I sent. He says he doesn't give feedback so you are kind of shooting into the wind. I also find it disconcerting that you get no acknowledgment, so, as a "paper trail" it's a one way transaction but I guess we do this all the time with query letters anyway.

There was no mention of the CD when I spoke to him. I think I will buy it anyway. I've done quite a bit of pitching via the phone or face to face so if I can pick up some tips from a master then hey, why not?

Cheers

KC

Leapboy
03-02-2005, 12:25 PM
working with him now and he is a great and honest guy. an yes he can help your career because one sale and you have a contact for life with a studio. and believe me, he reads every pitch and if it is good he will call

KidCharlemagne108
03-03-2005, 04:14 AM
Leapboy

Can you check your EZ inbox? Thnx. KC.

Leapboy
03-04-2005, 08:46 AM
hope my responces helps, but you must remember...bob has allot on his plate so you better be very,very, very creative in your idea...once you are in the door at a studio..then you can go back and pitch them other ideas that you believed in

KidCharlemagne108
03-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Hi Leapboy

Just curious - any idea of how many email pitches he gets per week/month and how many of those he picks up and goes out with?

Cheers

KC

Leapboy
03-07-2005, 08:17 AM
not really, when i talk with bob, it's always about my project and nothing else. as far as him running with them...not many at all....your idea better be BIG,BIG,BIG...or he will not call. out of all the pitches i have sent, he has called on three and ask for treatments and only one of them is being pitch...he is first try to attach an actor to it befor he goes to the studio...this things take time so you must be patient

JoanEasley
03-07-2005, 12:41 PM
He gets a huge number. I used to help him screen some of them. So his way of saving time so he can keep the door open is to not reply unless he either wants to pitch it or it is too close to something else he is already pitching. He'll tell you that so you won't sue him for stealing your idea.

KidCharlemagne108
03-07-2005, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback - looks like RK is a lottery.

Clyyde
03-09-2005, 04:00 PM
Congrats on the RK interest Leapboy.

The same thing happened to me about two years back when a writing partner and I pitched him a really high-concept idea that he loved. He asked us to put together a comprehensive treatment for him so he could go out with it. It's an exciting and fun process while it lasts, and for a few weeks at least, he acts like he's really into you and your project.

Hopefully you'll have a better result than we did. But if not, don't take it personal when he gets the first one or two passes then suddenly stops returning all your calls and e-mails with no follow-up or explanation. It's just the way things work with him.

But again, here's to you having more success with it!

LIMAMA
03-09-2005, 08:27 PM
I have a similar story to tell about Mr. Kosberg. Good luck!