PDA

View Full Version : Script response from a prodco

tantralama
11-20-2004, 12:06 PM
Hello all,

I sent my script to a few prodcos a couple of months ago and I recently received a reply from one company, a small prodco listed in the HCD with a couple of straight to video credits. The following was the message in the reply:

-----------------------
Your material may have some commercial possibilities, but it is not yet ready to be submitted to Studios, Agents and Financiers.

For many writers, some objective and expert critiquing and editorial input becomes the key to going to the next level.

Occasionally, I will recommend to a writer that they consider utilizing the services of a professional script consultant.
-----------------------

Is there anything positive I can take from this???:\

The guy also recommended me to a script consultant he has a professional relationship with. He has even mentioned my script with that script consultant.

My mind is kind of in a fix right now...:rolleyes because I already spent a lot getting my script evaluated by a professional script consultant before I sent it to this prodco.

What should I do now?

LIMAMA
11-20-2004, 01:29 PM
SCAM ALERT!!

creativexec
11-20-2004, 02:31 PM
Nothing postive. Move on.

roscoegino
11-20-2004, 05:59 PM
Funny how he mentions getting a professional when he is far from one himself. These undertakers know that Barnes and Noble is littered with How To screenplay books -- even in the cookbook section damn near. They prey on the wavering self assurance of many first-timers.

My friend Kyle got a similar response. The producer referred him to a consultant with a $250 fee. As a joke Kyle says he's already hiring a consultant who charges $350 but that it's more than worth it. Two weeks later we learn the producer's buddy now charges that same amount.

OkeyDokey
11-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Tantralama, this is a form letter that probably gets sent to everyone who submits to this company. Sadly, these kind of sharks are out there and prey on hopeful beginners. It's part of the ugly side of the business.

BROUGHCUT
11-20-2004, 09:46 PM
Spend the money on Producers 411 instead, it's more discriminating. I've been left with the impression, from reading this board in particular, that "Hollywood's phone book" (is that how they advertise HCD?) is the LA phone book with a different cover.

E J Pennypacker
11-21-2004, 08:20 AM
Leo Lechter.

Could it be him I wonder?

EJ

tantralama
11-21-2004, 11:18 PM
thanks CE. that's all I needed.

wow! Penny! you nailed it.