PDA

View Full Version : The Donner Company

PinskyBindo
10-20-2004, 07:53 PM
Anyone know who replaced Katy Lim as the CE?

Thanks in advance,

PB

PinskyBindo
10-27-2004, 06:54 PM
Bump.

No one? Nothing? Nada? :\

Carlton Redford
10-27-2004, 07:33 PM
You can intuit that the person who answers the phone at Donner will know. Just give them a call. --CR

PinskyBindo
10-27-2004, 07:39 PM
Nevermind, I got it.

Carlton:

Very valid point. However, I've found most receptionists put up their defenses a bit more (it's probably their B.S. meters going off...) if you don't know the name of the person you wanna speak with. Just my experience.

PB

Carlton Redford
10-28-2004, 12:50 PM
Often hard copy directories and even online industry subscription services aren't up to date and we reluctantly have to get our contact info or new address info by calling the production company directly as I suggested above.

On a company info search like the one in question, you never speak (to the receptionist, office manager, or whoever answers) as "Joe Smith with a screenplay" or with no name mentioned at all, because you will indeed often be given the unproductive just-another-clueless-outsider brush off.

Instead you call as (invented name) with "Faulkner" Literary Management (or similarly solid-sounding and rapidly uttered company name). Now you're not an outsider, but simply a pro with a simple question.

Occasionally, you get the name or whatever you're seeking, and they ask if you'd like to be connected or called back -- then it's: "I'm going to be calling him/her tomorrow and just needed that info, thanks very much."

On a fluke the person who answers sometimes *is* the replacement you called about -- then it's "I apologize, I'm on my cell and I can barely hear you let me call you in a minute from my office." Now you're free to go head and send that properly addressed query letter or place that direct phone pitch call in a few days.