PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

Mona Mars
09-28-2004, 10:36 PM
I recently had a producer's assistant tell me that she automatically tosses those email queries that aren't formatted exactly like standard letters, because the producer doesn't like them. By standard I mean that they include your return address, the date, a full name, title, prod company address, etc. above the body of the text. I personally like to cut right to the chase with emails, but I'm curious if anyone else has ever heard of a producer who refuses more casual - but still professional - email queries. It struck me as strange and has me wondering if I've been hopelessly e-rude all this time.

sasqits
09-28-2004, 11:00 PM
I've never heard of this.

cmmora
09-28-2004, 11:15 PM
I haven't heard of this either. But, all of my emails are formatted as if they were an official letter. It looks more professional and I've gotten quite a few reads from them.

JoanEasley
09-29-2004, 05:07 PM
I get plenty of reads with e-queries that just begin with a logline, no salutation or contact info for myself other than my e-mail address. In fact, that's how I write them for a big e-mail service that shall be nameless.

Keith Kocaine
09-30-2004, 10:31 PM
Mona. If the individual is a friend of yours, it's fine to keep the e-mail casual.

If you're sending an e-query to someone you don't know, I highly recommend you format it as you would a letter sent through the postal system.

Totiwos
09-30-2004, 10:37 PM
Am I understanding you correctly when you say you were to include the mailing address of the company that you're e-mailing?

Speaking strictly as someone who uses e-mail a lot professionally, I don't see that using a formal approach would hurt you. I hadn't thought to include the mailing address, though.

Keith Kocaine
09-30-2004, 10:55 PM
Am I understanding you correctly when you say you were to include the mailing address of the company that you're e-mailing?
Yes. If you were to print out one of my e-queries, it would look just like a postal letter.

That's just the way I do it. It seems more professional. I don't know that there's really a right or wrong way. The main thing is to include all your contact info *LOL*

Mona Mars
10-01-2004, 10:11 AM
"Am I understanding you correctly when you say you were to include the mailing address of the company that you're e-mailing?"

Yup. That's what I found odd, that the guy wanted his emailed pitches to look exactly like formal letters. I personally just hop right into the pitch and have had good success that way. But, again, it got me wondering if this was just one guy's preference or if it was more widespread.