PDA

View Full Version : Seeking ProdCo/Studio For "Wizard of Oz" Spoof

Attywab
07-05-2004, 10:37 PM
I am a co-writer on a script entitled, "Munchkin P.I." It is a spoof of "The Wizard Of Oz," telling the story from the point of view of a Munchkin private investigator (in the style of Sam Spade or Phillip Marlowe) who has been hired by the Wicked Witch of the West to find out who killed her sister, The Wicked Witch of the East. My collaborators and I feel that it will attract a similar audience as "Shrek," especially if it is done in 3-D animation. Does anyone know of any reputable prodcos or studios to which I can submit this script?

Hamboogul
07-05-2004, 10:44 PM
Aren't you the one who often posts as providing legal services for those writers on DD who need representation in entertainment?

If you are a legitimate lawyer who makes significant source of your revenue from entertainment law, you should know this...

OR...

You should not be listing your entertainment law services.

And to answer your question, I don't know.

copywriter1
07-07-2004, 07:16 PM
Hate to burst your bubble, but there have been many, many screenplays that spoof Wizard of Oz. It's not very original.

kullervo
07-08-2004, 12:27 AM
It has the added advantage of being one of the most rabidly defended copyrights in Hollywood. And you heard it here last-- riffing on someone else's story/characters is no way to start a career, even if you do have the rights.

kullervo

hunterjordan
07-08-2004, 06:44 AM
It has the added advantage of being one of the most rabidly defended copyrights in Hollywood.

Although your point about attempting to break in by parodying something may not be the best career move, my understanding is that a parody or spoof overrides the concept/legality of copyrights. Am I wrong about that?

kullervo
07-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Bwa ha ha ha ha...

That's a good one.

Enjoy the cease and desist letter.

kullervo

kitnerboy
07-10-2004, 08:57 AM
Not only could you produce a parody of Wizard Of Oz, you could do a scene by scene retelling of Frank Baum's novel, since it is now in the public domain.

What you cannot do, is infringe on the 1938 film, which means you need to come up with your own songs, although (for my money) you'll be hard-pressed to improve on Michael Jackson's "Ease-on-down, Ease-on-down the roooad" ditty.

You likewise cannot copy any of the scenes created specifically for the film, like the Wicked Witch air-writing Surrender Dorithy. (but you could have her write Eat At Joe's, or something just as witty.)

The bad news (for you) is that Wizard Of Oz parodies are in danger of displacing vampire-buddy cop-serial killer films in the over done idea department.

Not to mention that since the commercial failure of 1981's Under The Rainbow, and the death of Billy Barty in 2000, the munchkin comedy genre is in shambles.

OkeyDokey
07-10-2004, 10:10 PM
But "Wicked" is a big success on Broadway. It might be made into a film, so there might be more interest in Wizard of Oz material. (Even though it's based on an original source, everyone knows it as a take on "The Wizard of Oz.")

Personally, I think the idea of a Munchkin P.I. investigating who killed the Wicked Witch is kinda funny, and if taken far enough, could be entertaining. But it would have to work on it's own merits, not just as "a Wizard of Oz parody."

pnugentr
07-13-2004, 11:46 AM
The impending film version of "Wicked" works against any WoOZ material, I think, not in favor of.

RogerRmjet
08-04-2004, 03:03 PM
I agree that the impending film version of Wicked might make this a tough sell, though if the Wicked movie does really well, you might sell it in a week.

I have to admit, though, I like your premise and wouldn't mind reading that myself (can't help you on the production end, though). The more I think about a Munchkin P.I., the more I like the idea.

You might want to try to do it yourself as a stage play or independent film. True, Wizard is in Public Domain so you can have at it, just be sure to steer clear of anything too close to the MGM film, such as the ruby slippers (they're silver in the book and in Wicked).

Sandy
08-22-2004, 05:15 PM
Hamboogel:

I read your profile. You are funny. If you really gave up on selling your screenplays I suggest you try again, and write comedy! Contact me at Holyfield215395@aol.com
Put Done Deal in the subject heading; I'm looking for a comic writer and I do mean a funny one(I never thought SCARY MOVIE was funny) I laughed my ass off at your profile.
As for ATTYWAB; it's scary when a lawyer has to come here looking for contacts, in order to push his own material based on over-used ideas. It makes me wonder what he does with the submitted screenplays he "rejects.."

cassg
08-22-2004, 06:46 PM
Atty,

Go to your local video store, find titles of other similarly produced movies, get the prodcos from their covers.

It's a starting point.

Cass

Hamboogul
08-22-2004, 07:11 PM
sandy,

Thank you for your interests. I only work with uber-models. Please send photo.

P.S. - In all seriousness, I am swamped with projects, some of which are comedy. But I am happy to hear that you got a laugh or two from my profile. Please send photo.

P.P.S. - In case I forget, please send photo.

Sandy
08-22-2004, 08:15 PM
I didn't realize you were already an established writer!
Great..there hasn't been a solid LOL movie out there in a long time.

What's the best advice you can offer a new writer? It's all about the talent, right? That's what I think.

A ton of degrees isn't going to make up for that.

Hamboogul
08-22-2004, 08:20 PM
I am not an established writer by any means. But I am swamped with many projects that may or may not lead to something... and those are keeping me very busy.

Best advice I can offer a writer is to write a great script. Everything else takes care of itself.

Sandy
08-22-2004, 08:53 PM
We agree. Talent and/or great script is the crux of it.

If you ever want to exchange reads on great scripts e-mail me at:
Holyfield215395@aol.com

NikeeGoddess
08-23-2004, 07:43 AM
ooooh, Hammy - good think she wasn't around when you had that grotesque dancing fatboy as a logo.

Sandy
08-23-2004, 08:49 AM
I like the dancing fat boy; thought it was hilarious.
But it made me picture Hambogul as being fat; and he might be a gorgeous guy.

As for Attwab; When I was in my desperate phase and would submit to ANYONE I submitted my screenplay to him. He never got back to me eventhough I repeatedly e-mailed him. My idea is great; hope he didn't lift it as he did with Oz. It wouldn't be very Christian of him. (check out his website):hat

T Ziegler
08-24-2004, 01:00 PM
FYI:

H'wood Reporter article (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/television/brief_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000617195)

Attywab
08-24-2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the Hollywood Reporter article. However, the Muppet project is basically a re-telling of "The Wizard Of Oz" with Muppet characters working with one or more human cast members. My script is a totally different approach to the "Oz" story, with several original characters, as well as some of the (public domain) L. Frank Baum characters, combining the film noir genre twist.