PDA

View Full Version : Is Franchise Pictures Bankrupt?.

norgard
07-22-2004, 10:55 PM
Has Franchise Pictures gone belly up or are they still in buisness? Is Elle Samaha still producing?

elephant1978
07-24-2004, 06:59 PM
Samaha has had watchdogs on him for a while. I've heard shady stories of this guy for years. But to give him credit, he's produced a ton of films and made a lot of money. But there's just something about him.

If you want to see something hilarious, watch 20 Dates. It's that doc that Myles Berkowitz (right name?) made about 6 years ago. It's not that great, but part of it focuses on how Myles got funding for the film. You'll hear recordings of him in meetings with Samaha, his producer. Some of the funniest sound bites I've ever heard. And if they're for real--not a guy I'd want to deal with.

Ele...

MacG
07-31-2004, 04:32 PM
Is Franchise bankrupt?

Well, it ain't good news that Intertainment (or was it Intermedia?...) won their $700 million lawsuit against Samaha for allegedly "padding" the budgets of his pics by tens of millions, and that Franchise's distribution deal with Warner Bros is nearing an end with no talks of renewing it taking place.

Not that you can blame them. With the exception of THE WHOLE NINE YARDS, which was only a modest hit at $57 million, Samaha's films have been a black eye for the company. Granted they were limited to P&A expenses only, but Franchise has quite literally produced some of the worst films in the last ten years....

Last I heard, Samaha and his assistant were all that remained of Franchise's employees. They have a few films in production / development, but nothing else.

I think the book's about closed on the company.