PDA

View Full Version : Confirm Delivery or Not?

meemee2000
06-30-2004, 07:54 PM
I'm new to sending scripts to producers. (One finally said yes to my query letter!) Is it okay for me to send the script certified mail or with signature confirmation (which would required the producer to sign showing he/she received it) or is that a bad idea?

I don't want the producer getting mad at me, thinking I'm one of those paranoid writers 8o but I also want confirmation/proof that the right person received it.

Got any advice for the rookie?

Cole Blackburn
07-01-2004, 05:44 AM
Sending a producer a script he has to sign for doesn't exactly get you off on the right foot. Luckily, you don't have to.
You can send your script by way of the Post Office using Priority Mail and Delivery Confirmation. The postman signs a slip of paper when he delivers the script and the producer doesn't have to sign anything. Plus, you can track the package with the Delivery Confirmation number. This way you don't ever have to deal with the trust issue. I also believe you can send it Express Mail or Fedex and not require a signature. But for my money, Delivery Confirmation is the hot ticket.
Cole

gman8343
07-01-2004, 09:01 AM
Good info from Cole.

AvenueD
07-01-2004, 09:09 AM
ditto that.

Plus, if you buy the postage online at the usps website, delivery confirmation is free AND you can drop your script in a mailbox instead of waiting in line at the post office.

Geez I sound like an ad, don't I?

JakeSchuster aka Ostroff
07-02-2004, 09:15 AM
Coles' advice is excellent. You'll know the time of arrival, as well. And it only costs something like 45ยข.

By the way, downloading postage works how? You print out a slip and tape it on?

AvenueD
07-02-2004, 09:32 AM
You print a label with postage. You can print it on a sheet of plain paper and tape it securely, or buy labels for your printer.

I use plain paper.

Not available for Mac (yet) but if you have a PC it's great, especially if you don't live near a post office, or (like me) the cretins at your post office make mailing a script an all-day event.

Here's the link (http://https://sss-web.usps.com/ds/jsps/ds_landing.jsp)

meemee2000
07-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Ooh, ooh.... My computer was glitchy for a day or so, so I was unable to check your responses before I mailed the script! I sent it with signature confirmation - the guy will have to sign.

Do you think I'm screwed? Will he refuse to sign and tell them to send it back? Will I now be blacklisted at all the A-list parties? Darn Packard Bell!

But thanks for the tips. I'll remember them after my next batch of a hundred query letters when some producer requests to see my script... :\

Rockridesva
07-02-2004, 10:06 PM
Never, ever, ever, ever ,ever send something someone has to sign for. It is extremely amateur. You may be ok this once, but it is extremely frowned upon. I worked in an office where we received scripts every day, and if it had to be signed, it was sent back 1/2 the time. Some people don't mind, but others really hate it, and it is considered amateur now. However, it's not like this everywhere, so now that I've built it up, you may still be ok this time. But an FYI for future reference, avoid anything needing a signature in the future (unless of course requested).

FilmStuff
07-04-2004, 08:58 AM
So you finally get a producer to agree to read your script and you make the boneheaded mistake of sending it so he has to sign for it. Nice move. Seems like something this important, you could have -- I don't know -- maybe gone down the street to Kinko's and hopped on their computer for two minutes to check these responses?

Lemme guess: You probably mailed it without even waiting for a response here. You probably bumrushed your script straight to the post office like a frat boy to a drunken co-ed.

meemee2000
07-04-2004, 10:26 AM
So I'm an Idiot, Idiot, Idiot! Geez, you all are starting to sound like my dad!

Hey - everyone started out as amateur/virgins too, you know. Well everyone except Madonna maybe....

But seriously, I've truly learned my lesson. No more signature confirmations. Next time I will personally hand deliver the script then take a picture of the producer holding it next to the day's newspaper...

These are just jokes, folks. Gee - tough crowd :rolleyes

gdover
07-04-2004, 01:08 PM
to you newbies...just send it media mail...it costs $1.86... it arrives a day or two later...remember your screenplay will be sitting somewhere in a large stack... you're naive to think that a producer is going to read it as soon as it arrives...it may take a couple of weeks...sometimes an indie will read it and get right back to you in a couple of days...not usually though

take it from me...I've been doing this for quite awhile...also write on the outside of envelope requested material...never and I repeat never send out an unsolicited screenplay...

three stacks/types of incoming screenplays...Empire State Building...two story apartment building...and a sleeping bag (that's the short stack...the one you want the producer/reader to sleep with) most scripts hit the Empire State building...some make it to the condo...and very few make it to the sleeping bag)

just a couple of thoughts I felt like sharing...

meemee2000
07-12-2004, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the insight, gdover. I'll definite use the "requested material" on the envelope tip.

For those of you interested, the guy DID sign for it. Doesn't mean he didn't immediately dump it in the trash but at least there's hope for me yet...