PDA

View Full Version : Is there genre specific business strategies for new writers?

KENTA
07-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi folks, I have a newb question:D

I was wondering... Do certain script genres merit different strategies for landing a sale or representation?

For instance, If I write popcorn action screenplays, am I generally better off avoiding the screenplay competition route? Am I more likely to draw attention a from producers instead of an agent or Manager?

If there is a such thing as a different approach for different genres, please enlighten me.

Thanks in advance,

:cool: KENTA

SoCalScribe
07-27-2009, 11:59 PM
Hi folks, I have a newb question:D

I was wondering... Do certain script genres merit different strategies for landing a sale or representation?

For instance, If I write popcorn action screenplays, am I generally better off avoiding the screenplay competition route? Am I more likely to draw attention a from producers instead of an agent or Manager?

If there is a such thing as a different approach for different genres, please enlighten me.

Thanks in advance,

:cool: KENTA

The strategy for making a sale or securing representation is pretty much the same, regardless of genre... write something outstanding, and try to get people interested who work with that type of material (genre, subject matter, etc.). One can typically increase the appeal of their work if they've won screenwriting competitions, have recommendations from established connections to the person you're querying, etc. So in that respect, the genre or subject matter of your work doesn't really affect what needs to be done to secure representation or a sale.

That said, in answer to your question about avoiding the screenplay competition route, I'd say yes, avoid it... if you write popcorn action screenplays. In my experience, screenplay competitions tend not to reward "commercial" scripts as often as other types... so if you're writing pure entertainment-driven work, you might not find much success if you enter screenplay contests.

If you write "commercial" screenplays, you're more likely to find success with avenues that put a premium on marketability - producers, production companies, studios, agents and managers. If you write "artistic" screenplays, you're more likely to find success with avenues that put a premium on the content/style - screenplay contests, independent productions, etc.

Buzz2074
07-28-2009, 12:41 AM
Also, make sure that all the verb tenses agrees with each others.

KENTA
07-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Oops... my bad.

Thanks so much for the help!

KENTA:cool: