PDA

View Full Version : Notes from a manager

gravitas
07-29-2009, 09:51 AM
--

docgonzo
07-29-2009, 10:10 AM
If it's your spec, no, they cannot do that. If it was their idea they developed with you over a period of time (Hi, Farns!), then maybe. If they're just acting strictly as your manager, not a producer, they're only entitled to a commission on the sale.

gravitas
07-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Yep, it's my spec. Thanks, doc.

SoCalScribe
07-29-2009, 11:52 AM
If a manager/producer likes your spec and wants to give you notes for a second pass and you incorporate them, could he lay claim to the notes he gave?

These notes aren't specific ideas, but just general things, like "bump up the stakes here." Stuff like that.

No option agreement. Just discussing at this phase. Thoughts?

You can't copyright ideas. So even if he said, "You know, you should have the bad guy's gun run out of bullets in that scene" and you wrote it... he still wouldn't have a legal claim to the material that you wrote, which is the execution of that idea. And definitely in the case of comments like, "make this more exciting" or "make this funnier"... there's really not even any execution being discussed, so he's got zero claim to your interpretation of his notes.

The whole point of a manager is to help you develop your writing and give it the best possible chances of success. If you get the feeling that your rep is more interested in putting his name on the project as a writer, or taking credit for the story ideas... I'd look for a new manager. Your manager should be developing your writing career, not trying to establish his own. ;)

gravitas
07-29-2009, 01:24 PM
The whole point of a manager is to help you develop your writing and give it the best possible chances of success. If you get the feeling that your rep is more interested in putting his name on the project as a writer, or taking credit for the story ideas... I'd look for a new manager. Your manager should be developing your writing career, not trying to establish his own. ;)

No, we spoke last week and I'm not getting that impression at all. I feel pretty good about it and really appreciate the input. Thanks SoCal.

Why One
07-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Cool, thanks for the thread. I've always wondered about this. Good to clarify things.

MacG
07-29-2009, 05:58 PM
If it's your spec, no, they cannot do that. If it was their idea they developed with you over a period of time (Hi, Farns!), then maybe. If they're just acting strictly as your manager, not a producer, they're only entitled to a commission on the sale.

I was gonna say, someone might wanna let D.F. know this....