PDA

View Full Version : A cry for tracking board help!

Pat Hobby
08-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Hello Fellow D'D'ers --

I need some help fixing a stupid situation I have gotten myself into. Based on some information that an author was "holding onto the rights to something until the right take came along", I rather foolishly set to work speccing the thing...

I know, I know. Amateur mistake, which given that I have been actually WORKING as a writer doing book adaptations for eight years, totally freaking... dumb.

So now, apparently someone at Fox (or Fox based, I should say) is negotiating an option on the book - and I am trying to figure out who the filmmaker is (author says it is a filmmaker, not a prodco.) Anyone with d-people type tracking board access that could maybe help me out?

PM me if so. And thanks in advance!

- Pat Hobby

PaleWriter
08-03-2009, 01:55 PM
If no one here has any assistance, I'd suggest going to trackingb and asking the Insider.

If you're a subscriber, I'm sure he'd be able to help you out.

Pat Hobby
08-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Not a subscriber, otherwise I would have gone there first. But thanks!

MontanaHans
08-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Find out who holds the rights, call the attorney in charge of the estate/copyright, and ask the attorney who's getting the option. If they can release the info they might.

Start here to find copyright info and attorney names:

http://www.faqs.org/copyright/

Otherwise, sign up for a free 2-week trial on IMDBPro and hope to get lucky. I'm sure you've Googled the hell out of it. Have there been previous adapations of this author? If so, what prodco handled it?

Pat Hobby
08-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Thanks Hans -

It's not a question of who has the rights. Have been in contact with both author and book agent. It's that they don't want to disclose who is doing the optioning. I have IMDB.PRO - no help there.

But thank you.

- Pat

Ravenlocks
08-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Why not go to trackingb, pay to join, and go from there?

Pat Hobby
08-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Mostly because it's a one-time only need for information. I don't follow the spec market - and it's most likely going to be a dead end anyway.

But thank you.

PaleWriter
08-04-2009, 10:49 AM
The Trackingb Insider is a good guy, just email and ask him and see if he responds.

joe9alt
08-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Hello Fellow D'D'ers --

I need some help fixing a stupid situation I have gotten myself into. Based on some information that an author was "holding onto the rights to something until the right take came along", I rather foolishly set to work speccing the thing...

I know, I know. Amateur mistake, which given that I have been actually WORKING as a writer doing book adaptations for eight years, totally freaking... dumb.

So now, apparently someone at Fox (or Fox based, I should say) is negotiating an option on the book - and I am trying to figure out who the filmmaker is (author says it is a filmmaker, not a prodco.) Anyone with d-people type tracking board access that could maybe help me out?

PM me if so. And thanks in advance!

- Pat Hobby

Ask your reps.

Pat Hobby
08-04-2009, 11:29 AM
My reps are working on it too, thanks. I'm casting a wide net, that's all.

Pat Hobby
08-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the topic move. Sorry I placed it in the one section of the board I tend to frequent.