PDA

View Full Version : Can "Swine Flu" Destroy Hollywood?

Ben
08-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Okay bear with me.

Swine flu has already shut down Bollywood in Mumbai.
Two of the most anticipated box-office hits will not be
released in Mumbai. And trust me these two movies are huge. You know -- HUGE. And next week will be too late -- other big movies are lined up to be released...
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/news/2009/08/12/13168/index.html

BACK TO HOLLYWOOD --

Lets say James Cameron's Avatar gets released and the government declares a
Swine Flu epidemic in three key centres of New York City...

And then other key cities get affected...

Months go by and the Swine Flu becomes unstoppable...

What will happen to Hollywood then....

Hollywood depends on key cities to make their millions...

12916studios
08-12-2009, 10:53 AM
You know, I've had swine flu, and it really wasn't that bad. It's actually listed by the CDC as a mild flu. Sure, it sucks because it's a week long ordeal. I lost ten pounds because of it.

It's acting quite normally in the way of flu, and something like only 0.02% of people who get it are dying, which is a number below the seasonal flu mortality rate. It's considered a stage 6 pandemic right now, but that's not hugely important. It just describes how it travels between people.

But an epidemic? A lot of people are supposed to get it this fall. Like 1.2 billion worldwide. But it's not that bad. It really isn't.

Although they are expecting that it could mutate into something more deadly by then. Luckily, since I have already had it, I have antibodies from it, which means that if I catch the deadlier version, it will end up hitting me even less hard than it did the first time.

People, as of now, really need to stop freaking out about the piggity flu. It's not as bad as people think. It's not as scary. It's really quite boring, to be entirely honest. It would make a terrible movie.

Johnnycomelately
08-12-2009, 11:06 AM
12916 - for you, it wasn't bad. You're young, in shape, no underlying conditions.

For a pregnant woman - could be deadly, even if she was healthy otherwise.

For someone obese - same. Asthma sufferer - same. Heart disease - same.

And how many obese people are there in this country? Or people with asthma?

I've actually done a lot of research on this. It is scary. That's why they're rushing production of a new vaccine and testing it on humans without the usual protocols.

But if you're young and healthy, with no underlying conditions, the way you are, you should be fine.

I hope all of this is being extra-alarmist on my part.

And Ben - hope we don't get to the point that India is at now. If it's that virulent and spreading that fast, I doubt people will need to be told to stay home.

I guess TV will prosper if things get bad, so polish up those pilots :)

cvolante
08-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Can global thermonuclear war destroy Hollywood?
Can the release of cloned dinosaurs destroy Hollywood? Aliens? Earthquake??
:mpopcorn:

If Hollywood gets destroyed people will sit in their houses and film their fuzzy kittens and stick it on the internet to share with the world.... wait-- they're already doing that! :shifty:

tha son
08-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Yes. Swine Flu can destroy Hollywood.

maralyn
08-12-2009, 03:22 PM
yea, a lot of new viruses recently. Aids, Sars, birdflu, now swineflu. And if you look at history, every now and then nature comes up with one that wipes out 80% of any given species.

Maybe viruses are nature's ultimate weapons against imbalance.

Tremors before the quake?

Why One
08-12-2009, 03:23 PM
We're currently in the first wave of the swine flu. It's the second, mutated wave that we have to worry about. This could potential be a repeat of what happened to the Spanish Flu pandemic back in 1918.

The first wave only killed a few, but it mutated (as flu viruses do) by the following year where it infected 500 million and killed approx 50-100 million. Not much by today's standards, but the population back then was only about 1.5 billion.

By today's maths, that's approx 2.3 billion infected and approx 450 million deaths. I think this autumn/winter will be the tell-tale sign of how serious this flu strain is.

12916studios
08-12-2009, 03:28 PM
And Why One's post is the reason why I am seriously glad I caught it early, before it mutated. Cause now I have antibodies.

Why One
08-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Well, hopefully the vaccines will be made in time for the rest of us. Otherwise 12916 could find himself wandering around a desolate, post-apocalyptic landscape along with the other survivors.... who may not be as friendly.

maralyn
08-12-2009, 03:40 PM
All technology would suddenly become null and void. Power, oil, transpost, industry, everything would come down.

Back to nature.

Maybe start reading up on which plants are edible. I guess there'll always be rats.

peasblossom
08-12-2009, 03:51 PM
I don't know why, but I feel like its not going to be that bad. Maybe I just don't trust all the media hype. I'm in Northern California - where it ended up right after it hit Mexico. I and my daughter got sick with something, very mild - don't know if it was the swine flu. Fever, nausea, chills, lasted three to four days. I'm asthmatic, so that does worry me.

But, I don't think its going to be a bad flu second time round. Hope I'm right.

NYNEX
08-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Oh, god. No, the swine flu will not shut down Hollywood. First of all, for those who are hit with a serious viral infection, we do have anti viral medications used to treat herpes, hiv, influenza, among other viruses.

So if people get seriously ill from the flu, go to your doctor for anti virals.

maralyn
08-12-2009, 06:07 PM
But as a writer, you have to see something really prophetic about it tho. I mean if you were plotting a story about a virus that destroyed most of humanity, you'd never come up with something that came from pigs.

And that whole religious significance of pigs, and their symbolism throughout history.

Like some sodom and gomorrah story.

And you can imagine a whole new religion emerging in the aftermath. A whole new way of seeing.

I mean, you have to wonder why Sikh's consider cows to be their mothers. What triggers a belief or mythology. It would have to have originally been connected to fundamental survival.

Ravenlocks
08-12-2009, 06:11 PM
I guess there'll always be rats.
And cockroaches.

Rantanplan
08-12-2009, 06:59 PM
The first wave only killed a few, but it mutated (as flu viruses do) by the following year where it infected 500 million and killed approx 50-100 million. Not much by today's standards

"Not much?" The Spanish flu wiped out more people in one year than AIDS has in several decades...Even the Plague of the 14th century killed "only" 20-30 million people in Europe, and that was over six years. Let's hope it's not something like that headed our way !

NYNEX
08-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Back in the days before there were antibiotics and back before we had any form of modern medicine, yes, the plague was a killer.

Even the Spanish flu was way before some of the medicines we have now.

Swansong
08-12-2009, 07:55 PM
The swine flu can kill healthy adults from what I've read. There have been a number of cases in which there are no underlying conditions as the primary cause of death. Recently, there were three deaths associated with the H1N1 influenza virus in San Diego with no medical conditions.

In healthy individuals, an overreaction of the immune system can cause a cytokine storm. If the cytokine storm isn't suppressed, this can lead to pneumonia and being put on a respirator, similar to what happened with the Spanish flu. You basically drown in your own fluids.

Anyhow, it's futile to worry about getting the flu. Wash your hands and if possible, stay away from enclosed public areas. If you feel ill with a sore throat, cough, or high temperature, see a doctor right away. The anti-virals work best within the first 48 hours.

maralyn
08-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Anyway, humanity has always had one catastrophy or another lurking around the next corner.

And besides, we all have to die one day.

So, I don't think there's anything to worry about either.

UncaLeo
08-12-2009, 08:55 PM
I suddenly have a hankerin' for Pork Rinds.

maralyn
08-12-2009, 09:06 PM
And anyway, who knows, maybe it's for the best. Maybe there really are just too many of us. And at least this way it's random. Not like war.

And that's where the words "pass away" come from. Most people die from infection, or disease, or old age, more often than not, death really is just a matter of passing away.

And maybe the survivors will grow from it, and be .... better people because of it.

Maybe they'll finally stop the commmercial farming of animals. That's gotta make for a better world.

But you know what else I've heard?

I've been told that global warming will actually trigger another ice age.

And that it will be sudden. Like a snap freeze. Something to do with warming the ocean currents. Does something really bad.

12916studios
08-12-2009, 09:49 PM
The swine flu can kill healthy adults from what I've read. There have been a number of cases in which there are no underlying conditions as the primary cause of death. Recently, there were three deaths associated with the H1N1 influenza virus in San Diego with no medical conditions.

How recently? I was in San Diego at Comic Con with the flu on Saturday the 25th, which is when I came down with it. Chances are I gave it to a few people, and I am worried that, well, I was the one who gave it to those who died.

beerbeastredux
08-12-2009, 10:24 PM
No. because we wash our hands and cook our food in America. They still have leprosy and other horrible diseases in India because they live in and among piss and ****.

maralyn
08-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Of course, I love wild and wooley threads. But still. I think this one should go to one on one.

Swansong
08-12-2009, 11:15 PM

It doesn't say the dates in the article. Since I'm not sure about the policies on posting links, it was in the San Diego Examiner. The California Health Department more than likely has the cases updated on their site.