PDA

View Full Version : Screenwritingcompass.com says they are out of money

Gamekeeper
10-11-2009, 08:54 AM
"Currently, Universal says they are out of money. WB says they are out of money. Sony is running out of money. It feels like we are back to a writers strike, since most of the projects the studios are buying are either big properties (Barbie, Sweet Valley High) or projects with attachments."
http://screenwritingcompass.com/2009/10/10/should-i-go-out-wide-with-my-script/

I'm really fcuking fed up. Is this good or bad for the screenwriting community?

joe9alt
10-11-2009, 09:07 AM
I don't know if all those places are out of money. I think most of them have said they're not spending money through the end of the year type of thing. If your question is whether or not it's good or bad that buyers are not buying, of course it's bad. Things will turn around, though. Your job is to get yourself good representation. It's then your rep's job to find buyers for your material. Do your job and then let your rep do theirs. Don't worry about this **** so much.

corduroy
10-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Well, if you're meeting with and pitching on assignments at companies whose deals are with studios that are out of money, it sucks quite a bit: most of the companies I meet with that have studio deals don't really have their own money (a select few still have something like a discretionary fund, but let's be honest - that's what you use to snap up a hot new book, not to pay a baby writer), and if the studio isn't buying, that means that they aren't buying either.

I don't think, to be honest, it really matters one way or another if you're not quite in the stage of taking meetings. In fact, if you're still looking for representation/etc, it's probably better that this is happening now. Things will turn around in the spring.

One hopes.