PDA

View Full Version : Sending Queries to Production Companies

FCoffeen
10-14-2009, 05:45 PM
My apologies if this has been covered, but I did not see it anywhere and figured I would ask:

What is the general opinion on sending a query directly to a production company? That is, sending it from just me, the screenwriter, not from an agent or manager.

I know getting a manager and an agent first is ideal, but if that is not coming right at the moment, is there any value in sending queries directly to a production company myself?

Again, my apologies if this has been talked to death - if so, just point me in the right direction. Thanks for any feedback!

grant
10-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Query 'em all, let god sort 'em out.

jcgary
10-15-2009, 01:12 AM
I'm of two minds here:

One: as Grant states, sure, why not? No harm. If they're willing to read it and they like it, then that can help you gain representation.

Two: If they read it and don't like it, then you've already blown that submission. Hell, even if they read your logline and don't like it, the submission might be blown. When you get signed by a rep, he or she's gonna be pretty pissed that your talking dog movie was already turned down by Davis Entertainment.

Two things to think about. First, I'd be surprised if production companies took your blind submission even with a release form. There's just too much potential for being accused of stealing your idea if they had something similar already in development. Second, and I'm going to jump down to another paragraph because I think this is the most important thing I'll say ALL WEEK...

Second, agents and managers have started to become impediments rather than conduits, I think. Take of this what you will, but I've found real resistance recently among reps with my latest projects... and yet I've found great success directly with producers. I have ten years of contacts to draw from, though; people I've worked with in the past will take my calls and read my script even though I left my manager six months ago, and producers have all responded very positively to the project. Managers and agents are another story entirely -- they're all miasmas of unimaginative thinking and self-doubt.

The lesson here is that even if you have an agent or manager, you need to be your best salesman. You need to be out there pitching yourself, making contacts, setting up meetings with people you've worked with before, and just pounding the pavement every day. Early in my career I'd just assume my agent would do all the work. It's only been recently that I discovered the secret to this business is that you are your first, best agent.

roscoegino
10-15-2009, 02:23 AM

Hey, I like that ('cept I'd make the it a capital G) ;)

DavidK
10-15-2009, 03:06 AM
Haha.

GreatOz
10-16-2009, 07:00 AM
The lesson here is that even if you have an agent or manager, you need to be your best salesman. You need to be out there pitching yourself, making contacts, setting up meetings with people you've worked with before, and just pounding the pavement every day. Early in my career I'd just assume my agent would do all the work. It's only been recently that I discovered the secret to this business is that you are your first, best agent.Ditto! I've had much more success going directly to producers. I recently parted with my manager and I'm not even looking for one now -- and got a request for two reads yesterday.

LIMAMA
10-16-2009, 09:51 AM
The producer I'm working with right now was off a query. So they do work.

Geoff Alexander
10-16-2009, 10:38 AM
My apologies if this has been covered, but I did not see it anywhere and figured I would ask:

What is the general opinion on sending a query directly to a production company? That is, sending it from just me, the screenwriter, not from an agent or manager.

I know getting a manager and an agent first is ideal, but if that is not coming right at the moment, is there any value in sending queries directly to a production company myself?

Again, my apologies if this has been talked to death - if so, just point me in the right direction. Thanks for any feedback!

A good way to go.

lordmanji
10-16-2009, 11:52 PM
on a similar note, who is it tougher to get to like the script, agents, managers, or prodcos?

jcgary
10-17-2009, 12:47 AM
on a similar note, who is it tougher to get to like the script, agents, managers, or prodcos?

My experience? Managers are the easiest, then production companies, then agents, unless you've made the agent a shtload of money, and then agents are the easiest.

12916studios
10-17-2009, 01:37 AM
Send them to where the money is.