PDA

View Full Version : A little paranoid

Logliner
11-11-2009, 07:05 AM
Lately I'm not getting any response to my queries. Six months ago
it was a different story, when I got a good number of script requests.

But now... nothing. It's almost like my logline has been posted in
all the production offices in HW with a big sign above that says
'Do Not Respond'.

Not sure if I should keep sending out queries or just move on
to something else. :(

Anyone else have a similar problem?

Geoff Alexander
11-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Lately I'm not getting any response to my queries. Six months ago
it was a different story, when I got a good number of script requests.

But now... nothing. It's almost like my logline has been posted in
all the production offices in HW with a big sign above that says
'Do Not Respond'.

Not sure if I should keep sending out queries or just move on
to something else. :(

Anyone else have a similar problem?

What's the logline?

giuseppeways
11-11-2009, 12:59 PM
post the logline and let the masters on the board help you with it.

hscope
11-11-2009, 01:11 PM
If it's the same logline that got you reads earlier, maybe - if you can -tweak the genre.

This happened to me and I changed the logline description from a comedy/drama to comedy and the requests started rolling in again.

From my experience, if your script doesn't fall under a very short list of genres at any given time, it's goodbye requests. And to find out what's on that list, be sure to ask what they are looking for every time you get a negative reply.

JKB
11-13-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm having a similar experience, but I think I know the reason - a spec sold that sounds a LOT like my script. I know they'd be very different movies, but they live in the same general subject/style/etc., and that conceptual place is fairly specific - a soldier's journey to Hell (HELLIFIED is the script being developed).

So ... it sucks. I got a bunch of read requests in the spring (they all passed) and now ... nothing. I suspect I now have a 'writing sample' on my hands, not a viable spec.

Not saying this is your problem Logliner, but it's a possibility. I really think one can only have theories as to what's happening and what to do about it. I can't see myself re-jiggering my logline (the journey to Hell is pretty much the sell), but maybe you can. Seems worth a try.

Good luck!

spacefarer
11-15-2009, 09:47 AM
I was querying recently and two managers came back to me saying that this is a very tough time for marketing new writers...

Studios ran out of budgets so they are waiting for the next fiscal year to begin - that doesn't mean that they aren't buying. It's just tougher for newbies.

Why don't you post the logline? I've been offered tremendous help from other members recently. :)

dwest
11-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Just to chime in, I've been having pretty much the same experience. Had a pretty solid start to my query campaign (started over the summer) got a good amount of read requests early on, then since about Oct. I've gotten zero requests.

I've been following the spacefarer thread, and it has inspired me to re-work my logline.

I've heard it's a bad time, and I'm concentrating on finishing my next two specs by end of year (which probably won't happen) but I want to keep querying at the same time.

JKB
11-17-2009, 06:36 AM
I agree it's always good to take a second, third, fourth, fifth look at your logline, but there is a danger here of getting a wrong solution by asking the wrong question.

If your logline was doing a good job of attracting read requests, then the requests stopped, I'd think the problem isn't your logline but something else. Maybe what Spacefarer said, maybe a lot of things.

Re-working an effective logline may be wasted effort, and - in fact - it may be counter-productive. You just never know.

My personal feeling is, yes, it's a tough time and managers/agents are being extra careful about new writers. That doesn't mean the right query won't hook somebody, it just means the requests will be fewer.

That reality is underlying a lot of threads lately.

Biohazard
11-17-2009, 06:45 AM
Not sure if I should keep sending out queries or just move on to something else.

Why can't you do both?

Logliner
11-17-2009, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I may post the logline but in the appropriate thread.

At least I"m not the only one experiencing the same
problem.

Bio - I am working on a couple of other screenplays
but thought I'd keep querying with this one, who knows,
right?