PDA

View Full Version : Reality TV Showrunner

Bono
12-11-2009, 09:50 PM
My partner and I are still trying to figure out the reality TV landscape. It seems you need to get a showrunner (producer) to get attached to your show and then they bring all the elements together. Networks don't to be pitched by these people, not me.

Anyone have experience with this?

The White Album
12-14-2009, 03:20 PM
My partner and I are still trying to figure out the reality TV landscape. It seems you need to get a showrunner (producer) to get attached to your show and then they bring all the elements together. Networks don't to be pitched by these people, not me.

Anyone have experience with this?

Depends on the audience for your show. Figure out which networks would be the perfect home for your project. Then bring on a showrunner that has been approved by those networks. You shouldn't just get any reality showrunner. If your show is hidden-camera, then get a showrunner that does hidden-camera. If your show is docu-drama, get a showrunner that does docu-drama, etc.

If you're rep by an agency, run it through their reality department and see if any of their showrunners are interested. If you're not, than you have a longer and more difficult road ahead.

Once your showrunner is attached, then get a legal agreement worked up between all parties even before you think about pitching. Showrunner will usually ask for at least 50% ownership and control of the show -- they may even ask for a bigger share. They will ask for financial and creative tie-breaker decision. Basically, they will try to skin you because they are the showrunner and you're not. So be prepared for that and have a lawyer in place.

If you are unable to find a showrunner, the next best thing is to attach a talent. Can a celebrity host your show? Or be a judge? Or a mentor to your contestants? The good thing about reality is that you can scrape the bottom of the barrel in terms of attaching talent. Once you have talent, take the package to an agency to attract a showrunner.

Good luck.

NeonTV
11-13-2015, 11:20 AM
Hello- I'm a reality TV producer always looking for great new concepts to pitch. If you'd like to start a conversation, you can find me at adam@neontv.com. The invitation is open to anyone here at DDP. AW