PDA

View Full Version : The Post-Apocolyptic Market

WriteByNight
12-27-2009, 03:19 PM
I was thinking of giving my crime drama a post apocolyptic setting, not to chase a trend, but to expand some possibilities. I don't have access to imdbpro so I was wondering what the future holds for this sub genre.

maralyn
12-27-2009, 03:32 PM
I think it will always be a winner. I think humanity has an inbuilt fear of catastrophy, something that comes deep from within the animal instinct part of the brain. And to tap into that will always grab their attention.

jamypac
12-27-2009, 05:10 PM
I think it will always be a winner. I think humanity has an inbuilt fear of catastrophy, something that comes deep from within the animal instinct part of the brain. And to tap into that will always grab their attention.

Yeah, I wrote a post-apocalyptic thingy back at the beginning of 2008 about the Book of Revelation.

wcmartell
12-27-2009, 09:11 PM
I'[m not even sure there are going to be movies post-apocolypse, let alone a spec market. Oh, wait - in A BOY AND HIS DOG they go to the movies and see A FISTFUL OF RAW HIDE.

- Bill

Rantanplan
12-27-2009, 09:25 PM
I think the main thing with anything post-apocalyptic is to give it a really strong sense of mood and setting. The imagery must be incredibly powerful and something never seen before. Like the images of the Machines post-Judgement Day in Terminator 1-2. Or Mad Max and the desert and a bunch of lunatic road warriors fighting to the death over fuel. Stuff like that. Or deserted big cities like I Am Legend or 28 Days After.

corduroy
12-27-2009, 10:17 PM
FWIW, in every single one of my meetings people have said that they love my post-apocalyptic sample... and that the back-to-back of THE ROAD and BOOK OF ELI pretty much kills that particular market for a few years.

On the other hand (and I may stand alone in this) I'm pretty sure at this point that there is no longer a "spec market" for unsold writers: you don't write a spec to sell it, you write it as a sample. So if you think it would be a good sample for you, write on.

12916studios
12-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Be careful not to over-complicate the script. Post-Apocalyptic scripts are much more quest driven. If your story just happened to exist in the environment, it wouldn't to the environemtn justice. One of the coolest things about the genre are the visuals you get from seeing chaos reigning supreme on infrastructure.

I don't have any knowledge about the market for the genre, but that's just my two cents.

Southern_land
12-27-2009, 11:13 PM
there are a couple (well 3 actually I think) good post apocolytic novels written by a guy Brendon dubois that are worth taking a look at
________
FIX PS3 (http://fixps3.info/)

Ulysses
12-30-2009, 11:35 PM
I was thinking of giving my crime drama a post apocolyptic setting, not to chase a trend, but to expand some possibilities. I don't have access to imdbpro so I was wondering what the future holds for this sub genre.

If you really want to, and if you need it for your script, why not.

A detective story that takes place in a post apocalyptic setting could be interesting if it's the right story.

Just keep in mind that there were so many movies taking place in a post apocalyptic world.

28 days, 12 monkeys, I am Legend, 2012, the Terminator series are just a few of them.

On the other hand: if you find an alternative to the tech shabbiness displayed in most of these, it can be very interesting.

Anyway, you are the captain, and only you can tell your screenplay where to go.

PS: when I read your thread title, I was thinking of 2009 as the screenplay apocalypse, and 2010 the post apocalyptic market...

Jenny
12-31-2009, 08:40 AM
PS: when I read your thread title, I was thinking of 2009 as the screenplay apocalypse, and 2010 the post apocalyptic market...

I keep thinking this thread is about long-range career planning. What should you write for the spec market of 2013? It's not that far off!

thatcomedian
12-31-2009, 09:32 PM
I keep thinking this thread is about long-range career planning. What should you write for the spec market of 2013? It's not that far off!
A spec script based on your best selling novel, that has been adapted into a best selling graphic novel, that has been adapted into a smash Broadway play, that has been adapted into a smash Broadway musical, that has been adapted into a graphic novel(the musical not the play), that has been adapted into a hugely successful comic book that a top A-list actor is a fanboy of.

instant_karma
12-31-2009, 10:37 PM
I'[m not even sure there are going to be movies post-apocolypse, let alone a spec market.

I kind of want to marry this comment.

EvilRbt
01-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Take this for what it's worth but I probably read at least one post-apocalyptic script every couple of weeks. They're a dime-a-dozen.

WriteByNight
01-03-2010, 04:08 PM
That's what I thought.

Which genre isn't a dime a dozen, Evil?

LIMAMA
01-03-2010, 06:11 PM
I'm calling my new spec a drama-thriller set in the near future after a cataclysmic event.

:)

Typewriter
01-03-2010, 07:13 PM
The competition will definitely be slimmer post-apocolypse and you probably won't even have to film scripts. You can just put on a play and earn berries and meat by putting on a decent show. Definitely a filmmaker's market. Sorry Bill I stole your joke. :)