PDA

View Full Version : J.J. Abrams

mctheory
12-31-2009, 07:55 AM
Does anyone have the contact for J.J Abrams, the Director of Star Trek?

12916studios
12-31-2009, 02:44 PM
I highly doubt anyone here has it. You can find the info for his agent on IMDb Pro, but there's zero chance you'll get more than that. That man is the current Hwood golden-boy. Don't expect to be able to get anywhere near him.

Telly
12-31-2009, 03:04 PM

I want to burst your bubble so bad it hurts.

Geoff Alexander
12-31-2009, 03:34 PM

1221 Olympic Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90404
United States

Main : (310) 664-3456

You could start by calling and asking for "JayDub". If he's not around, talk to Sheryl Clark who runs the film side. Oh, yeah, and tell them that Telly sent you.

joe9alt
12-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Use the info SB gave you, Mctheory, and tell all these other geniuses to **** off.

Telly
12-31-2009, 04:19 PM
yeah, man, yeah!!!

joe9alt
12-31-2009, 04:31 PM
I just don't get all the hate.

If people think a so called "newbie" question is dumb why piss all over the guy...explain why you think it's dumb and do some teaching.

Instead you get a bunch of mother******s only a rung or two higher on the ladder than the newbie trying to inflate their egos by making the dude feel like a piece of ****.

It gets old.

Telly
12-31-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm sorry Joe.

I'm sorry mctheory.

There, my new leaf. Happy New Year.

I'll have you know, I'm not even one rung up from a newbie and once I feel the need I will return to being a jerk, just because.

Rantanplan
12-31-2009, 04:41 PM
The info on IMDB is:

Bad Robot
5555 Melrose Ave.
Swanson 107
Los Angeles, CA 90038

Tel: 323-956-2995

Telly
12-31-2009, 04:52 PM
I never intended to piss all over the guy, I was just trying to be realistic -- though maybe you weren't referring to me. I honestly doubted no one here would have a decent contact address for him. Nevertheless, I personally would never query J.J. Abrams, because he's just that big and most likely untouchable. And also, I'm an enormous fan of his. I would of course love to work on a project of his, but not by way of querying.

It's your choice, though.

Don't sweat it. It was a stupid question and some feel the noble quest to save all newbs from the tyranny of others who point out a stupid question when it's asked. It would have taken this guy two minutes to google for his answer or do a search here on DD. Not to mention if you have to ask for it on a screenwriting board it's probably a bad idea, outside of an unrealistic one.

I chose the path of humor and pissed of a righteous crusader. It happens. I'm the first one to come to the aid of newbs around here, so I get it. However I do think some of us need to check the air up there when dogging out other members that have done nothing but helped in these forums for years.

Might I add, I say and ask stupid things on these boards all the time and no one ever comes to my rescue :(

joe9alt
12-31-2009, 05:01 PM
I was referring more to nathan than to you, Telly, but since you brought yourself up in context of me I'll say that a lot of times, you have a severely negative attitude.

ALL new writers should do things like cold-calling a production company and pitching their script. Why not? Are you saying they'll NEVER get read? If you are, you'd be wrong.

At worst the kid shows himself he has THE BALLS to do something like that...cold-call JJ Abrams company...and he'll need that kinda brass as he climbs higher and higher on the ladder. Trust me.

If I ruffled your feathers, it's probably because they needed it.

And 12916, I haven't really given a second thought to any of your posts ever since you had the audacity to complain and piss and moan in one on one about losing your winter break job at Costco or wherever and asking for handouts from people while others are out there truly suffering and experiencing real hardship. Thankfully you have mommy and daddy to fall back on and line your parachute, huh?

You sure nobody attempts to come to your rescue when you're in crisis and need a helping hand, Telly? You sure about that?

Telly
12-31-2009, 05:07 PM
Telly, but since you brought yourself up in context of me I'll say that a lot of times, you have a severely negative attitude.

Um, pot, meet kettle.

Joe, dude, you know I love you man, but come on down off the ladder for a moment. I get it, I went a little far in my response, I'm sorry. But if anyone around here has a history of being "severely negative" I'd like to nominate us both for that award.

With that said, this was a stupid question, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Just because someone asks for Spielberg's contact number in a public forum does not entitle him to the most ambitious newb of the year award.

Anyway, let's let this one go. OP, I sincerely apologize if I offended you.

Good luck man.

joe9alt
12-31-2009, 06:15 PM
Vent? You were trying to throw a pity party for yourself in an attempt to make people feel sorry for you and GIVE YOU A READER JOB.

It was beyond lame and insensitive.

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=52196

jamypac
12-31-2009, 07:11 PM
Just because someone asks for Spielberg's contact number in a public forum does not entitle him to the most ambitious newb of the year award.

I assume this is the wrong time to ask for Coppola's home phone # then?;)

artisone
12-31-2009, 07:12 PM
Okay, what killed me is the fact that he didn't just ask for J.J. Abrams info. That's fine. Query who you want. But he had to go and specify that he wanted the J.J. Abrams that directed Star Trek. I guess so we didn't confuse the request and give him J.J. Abrams the accountant. You are begging to get made fun of.

joe9alt
01-01-2010, 03:00 AM
Okay, what killed me is the fact that he didn't just ask for J.J. Abrams info. That's fine. Query who you want. But he had to go and specify that he wanted the J.J. Abrams that directed Star Trek. I guess so we didn't confuse the request and give him J.J. Abrams the accountant. You are begging to get made fun of.

I started in on this thing in 2005 and I wouldn't have known who JJ Abrams was back then if he fell off a truck and I stepped on his glasses. Maybe this dude is NEW at this thing and maybe he saw STAR TREK and was inspired??? Who the **** knows?

Who are any of you to judge?

If you think he's wrong to ask for Abrams' contact info then EXPLAIN to the dude where you're coming from...tell him why he's wrong...help him learn...don't just be an *******.

THEUGLYDUCKLING
01-01-2010, 03:20 AM
does anyone know SSBSCRIPTs contact info

mrjonesprods
01-01-2010, 09:59 AM
As the story goes...

In 1989/1990 a young director at NYU was trying to finish his film in order to graduate school. Out of money, the young director sent letters to 20 producers asking for help. He only heard back from one - Steven Spielberg. Spielberg gave the director 5k to complete his project. That young director was named Brett Ratner.

I believe a writer's time is better served trying to get a manager or agent who is passionate about their material. And while I agree trying to get in touch with JJ Abrams will probably bear no fruit, it never hurts to try. :)

Richmond Weems
01-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Thus endeth the thread.

HH

joe9alt
01-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Plus, nothing against the OP, but if you're asking for a writer/director/producer's contact info, you should have done the research beforehand and read up on his credits. If you have any knowledge of the guy, it's that he is f*cking big -- like untouchable big, for ALL of us here.

Don't lump me in with your sorry ass, 12916.

I had a call with both Sheryl Clark and Lindsay Paulson just a few weeks ago. I've been to the Bad Robot offices multiple times. The first time I had a meeting there (this was a few years ago) I didn't realize I was supposed to meet the exec at the coffee shop on the Paramount lot. My manager had only told me to go to the office so that's what I did. There was nobody there so I wandered into the back area of the BR offices and I came upon a long row of computers. People were sitting in front of them working silently...diligently. All of them seemed to look up at me at once...and on all of their computer monitors was the USS Enterprise...they were working on the special effects for Star Trek. It was a very surreal (and cool) moment.

PM me your logline mctheory. I'll try to see if the concept is up Bad Robot's alley and maybe I'll slip your script to somebody there if I can.

The rest of you keep focusing on your douche-baggery and let me know how that works out for ya.

Happy New Year's! :cool:

LeadSolo
01-01-2010, 11:36 AM
PM me your logline mctheory. I'll try to see if the concept is up Bad Robot's alley and maybe I'll slip your script to somebody there if I can.

The rest of you keep focusing on your douche-baggery and let me know how that works out for ya.

Happy New Year's! :cool:

Love this, Joe9alt. Well done.

adieu
01-01-2010, 12:10 PM

The last couple of days I've been on DD quite a lot (my wife is away), and kept seeing this thread when I hit "New Posts".

I didn't want to hear about contacting the great man, so I didn't click on it. But it just kept getting longer and longer. What's going on?

Little did I know that there was enough material in here for a movie.

I think Joe will get the lead.

SuperScribe
01-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Okay, I feel I have to step in here and say a couple of things.

First of all, Studios is good peeps. I know him outside of the context of the board and can vouch for him entirely. As for his One on One post being offensive to some for various reasons... Well, I'm in the worst financial shape of my life. I won't go into detail, except to say that I'm scared shitless right now. It's THAT bad.

And guess what? His post didn't offend me at all. (And I was the DDer part of it was directed at.) I knew where he was coming from. Hell, he's a bud -- he can vent about whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned.

That said, I agree with Joe about the topic in question. You gotta be bold. It took me years to finally see this, and my new found boldness is actually paying off, even if what I'm experiencing now are just baby steps. For most of my adult life, I've been a cowering mass of fear when it came to going after what I wanted, career-wise. It was ridiculous. I had the f cking talent, yet I was so afraid that any attempts to sell myself would come across as annoying or pathetic that I held back. I mean, I *really* held back. For over a f cking decade. I took the most passive approach imaginable to my career, waiting for opportunities to fall into my lap based on the good will of friends who were further along than I. Those opportunities were few and far between, however. And even the ones I took advantage of, I didn't *really* take advantage -- not the way I could have.

The worst part was the way I procrastinated. "Well, I should take six months to read everything I can about the craft, even if it is all stuff I've read before, just to go back to the basics. You can't go into this unprepared. So no writing for those six months, except writing exercises and short scripts, and DEFINITELY no marketing -- for at least the next year." This all stemmed from my putting myself in a place of submission, viewing myself as an underling to the gatekeepers. "I need to make myself worthy of their time. It's up to them to validate me as a writer, so I better not f ck it up." (One can read only so many articles about how "agents can sense fear and a lack of total commitment" before one just gives up the thought of interacting with the very people one needs to interact with.)

Hence, a decade after graduating from USC film school, I'm finally starting to get going. The thing is, I was there, writing-wise, at least seven years ago. (I got As and A-s in film school, but, meh -- I look at my work from that period, and I have to admit that it wasn't quite ready.) But I waited. And continued to hone my craft (going off track on more than one occasion because I was petrified of... well, everything). I was convinced for a while that every spec that sold was the next incarnation of The Godfather, Dr. Strangelove or The Exorcist. In my mind, my pitiful attempts weren't anywhere close to what they needed to be to justify querying or taking advantage of contacts who told me they'd pass my work along. Forget about cold calling.

Meanwhile, my peers were out there getting their work read, getting jobs in the industry, selling their stuff, MAKING MOVIES. A graduate student walked up to Steven Spielberg less than a minute after Spielberg had finished a speech at a fundraising dinner at USC and handed Spielberg his script. Just handed it to him, saying, "Read this. You won't be disappointed." And guess what? Spielberg read the script, loved it, and helped this bold young man get his career started.

At the time, I thought to myself, "Wow. Never in a million years would I do something like that. That's just... crazy." And my fears were solidified by articles telling me that tactics like that were nuts and likely to get me laughed right out of Hollywood -- that anything other than a subservient query letter begging the Powers That Be for entrance into their exclusive club was pushing it. I was scum. I was nothing.

And I believed it.

But now I'm starting to take my cue from people like former wunderkind Josh Scwhartz. I mean, why not? It's going to take that level of balls-on-the-table "f ck it!" to get anywhere. I understand that.

Finally.

No fear.

/faints from fear... but pulls himself back to his feet and pushes on despite it

joe9alt
01-01-2010, 01:00 PM
If you take anything from this thread take the following...

1. Be Bold.
2. Don't be an *******.

sc111
01-01-2010, 01:12 PM
If you take anything from this thread take the following...

1. Be Bold.
2. Don't be an *******.

That's great advice for life in general. :)

I'm with Joe on item 2. It serves no purpose ridiculing other people.

Yeah -- it takes cojones to risk a cold contact of Abrams or Spielberg or anyone of that level. But you have to weigh it against "What do I have to lose if I fail?" I'd say - nothing. You risk losing nothing. Even if they reject you.

There was a great book called "Risking" years ago. If gave guidelines on how to analyze a calculated risk.

adieu
01-01-2010, 01:17 PM

Now that's a fvcking good post. cheers, man.

joe9alt
01-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Here's the thing...you can think trying to contact a cat like JJ Abrams is a massive waste of time or you can think actions like that are bold and necessary.

Whatever side of the fence you stand on...just be cool...be helpful if you can.

Don't be a douchebag.

It's as simple as that.

Telly
01-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Someone needs to kill this thread. Seriously.

joe9alt
01-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Did you not just read my above post? I changed my position on the matter. Don't call me a douchebag after I do that AND apologize for what I said...as well as compliment the OP for having the balls to do what I don't think I could. Seriously, man.

I was referring to whoever happened upon this thread in a general sense...not you specifically...don't flatter yourself...you're not that much on my radar. :rolleyes:

Besides it doesn't matter that you switched positions. I respect both sides of the debate...what I'm railing against are screenwriters acting like *******s toward fellow screenwriters for no apparent reason other than ego gratification.

As far as killing the thread goes...why? When is censorship the answer? We need to be able to respectfully disagree, right?

Kum bay ya, my Lord, kum bay ya...

mctheory
01-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks guys.........
And have a happy New Year!!!!

ihavebiglips
01-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Classic DoneDeal ****! Everyone played their roles to a tee!

I think I could have written this thread.

SuperScribe
01-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Even the random Tony R "this is what I've done wrong in my life as a writer, but this is what I'm doing now to rectify it" essay?

Because you can never predict where one of those is going to show up. ;)

(The only reason it showed up at all is because I was nervous about something screenwriting-related (yes, good news; don't ask yet) and needed to do something with all of that energy. :rolling:)

Rantanplan
01-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Speaking of having the balls: I was invited to attend a panel discussion that included Paula Wagner, her husband and a number of other big shots at the film festival in my home town. I got the inviation like one hour before the event and I quickly / nervously prepared a one sheet of my script, ready to throw myself at her feet after the panel.

But it went longer than expected and I had to get back to work, and so IN FRONT OF THE WHOLE ROOM, I sprinted towards the table while the discussion was still in session and handed here a PURPLE sheet of paper and then ran out out of the room (I figured a purple sheet was less likely to get drowned out in a sea of other white papers).

Whew.

That same evening, I was attending a party for John Woo, and lo and behold, I spotted the director of the film festival in conversation with Paula Wagner + hubbie. I know him and waived to him, he came over and we chit-chatted, and I said:

-Introduce me.
-To Paula?
-Yes, to Paula !!!
-You want to meet her?
-YES!!!!
-Oh, I've known Paula for years, she's a sweetie. Come on, I'll introduce you.

So I walked over and she immediately recognized me, she said, I got that paper of yours, I'm going to study it, then she turned to her husband and said, it was very well presented, I thought it was for the opening of a film.

I was glowing.

Anyway, so I was nervously chatting with them, and I said, you know, my script is kind of like some of the stuff you did with Tom Cruise, except with a chick in it.

Her (confused): A chicken?
Him: That would be a first, haha.
Me: No, no, not a chicken. A chick. A chick. Um, a woman. A female lead.
Him and Her: Aaaaah.

Anyway, has it paid off? No, not yet and not likely.

Glad I did it? Hell yeah.

ducky1288
01-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Boys...

/shakes head

:rolleyes:

12916studios
01-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Boys...

/shakes head

:rolleyes:

Anyone have a ruler?

joe9alt
01-02-2010, 12:44 AM
Anyone have a ruler?

You better hope not. :cool:

SuperScribe
01-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Anyone have a ruler?

Do not, under any circumstances, give that woman a weapon. Trust me. :eek:

SuperScribe
01-02-2010, 01:12 AM
It would also be your last. ;)

ducky1288
01-02-2010, 02:33 AM
1st degree black belt in tae-kwon-do

give me a ruler, I triple dog dare ya ;)

WritersBlock2010
01-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Anyway, so I was nervously chatting with them, and I said, you know, my script is kind of like some of the stuff you did with Tom Cruise, except with a chick in it.

This was your big mistake.

It would be like talking to Tyler Perry and saying, "I've got this script that's like Mad Max. Except Max is a Negro".

I know we are all supposedly hip artisans and laid back Bohemian Liberals... But guys (and gals!) you have to start taking the BUSINESS side of this seriously, once you hone your artistic (writing) skills.

Before I graduated college my senior year, one of my business professors took my class out to lunch at a fancy restaurant. The purpose was to teach us etiquette and manners. It sounds funny considering it is something we normally don't think of as being important... Eating lunch... But you quickly learn how you conduct yourself is just as important as what you know. Especially in the business world where a power lunch might determine your next promotion, or a pink slip.

What we did not know until after the fact was the lunch was graded as a regular assignment that counted toward our final class grade. He graded us on presentation (dress), manners, topics of conversations, etc. The goal was to teach us to always be conscious of the situation we were in (at the moment) and to never take anything for granted.

joe9alt
01-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Oh boy...this has tangent written all over it but are you saying because it was Paula Wagner that Rantanplan shouldn't have said chick??? As if there would have been some sort of different outcome had Rantanplan said woman or female or whatever??? Just so I'm clear.

sc111
01-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Oh boy...this has tangent written all over it but are you saying because it was Paula Wagner that Rantanplan shouldn't have said chick???

It's possible. Women in power - especially in Paula Wagner's generation - can be sensitive to women being called chicks.

Especially since she made the chicken remark. She wasn't being dumb, I suspect she was being facetious to call attention to the term.

WritersBlock2010
01-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Oh boy...this has tangent written all over it but are you saying because it was Paula Wagner that Rantanplan shouldn't have said chick??? As if there would have been some sort of different outcome had Rantanplan said woman or female or whatever??? Just so I'm clear.

I am not Paula Wagner, nor was I there to witness the exchange, obviously.

But there is a good chance she was offended, even if ever so slightly and this is just something you have to be careful of in the world we live in today.

For the record, I hate Political Correctness. I think it has done more to divide people rather than bring them together, ironically.

However, given the situation we are discussing and what is a predominantly male dominated field... All I am suggesting is people be aware of any possible biases that might exist (you and the other person) and always err on the side of caution. I don't think this is too much to ask and it comes down to respect. Real respect, not the fake, or forced kind P.C. tries to force on everybody whether they like it, or not.

joe9alt
01-02-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm just gonna let this one go. This type of stuff makes my head explode.

I'll just say that I didn't get anywhere in this business (I haven't gotten that far but I'm making steady progress) until I started being myself...on the page...in the room...wherever.

WritersBlock2010
01-02-2010, 02:17 PM

I'll just say that I didn't get anywhere in this business (I haven't gotten that far but I'm making steady progress) until I started being myself...on the page...in the room...wherever.

Thank you, for allowing all of us to have thoughts and opinions of our own ;)

sc111
01-02-2010, 03:35 PM

I'm a big fan of being oneself. It rings genuine and resonates to most people. And if referring to women as chicks is a point of self-expression for anyone, including women, go for it.

Just know it may turn some women off. That's the risk you take. And, in this situation - Rantan doing a ballsy cold pitch to Wagner (which I think is so cool of him) - keep in mind that when you approach people this way, they're looking for a good, justifiable reason to say, "No." Referring to a female protag as a chick could possibly have handed Wagner her justifiable reason. Possibly.

Rantanplan
01-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Um, she thought I said chicken because I said CHICK IN (it). Personally I thought it was kind of funny and we all laughed at it.

As for why I mentioned that, I mentioned it because that's who's the lead character in my script. DUH. I would have mentioned that regardless of which Hollywood Big Shot I was talking to.

I mean, the first thing anyone says about any story is, Well, it's about this guy see. Or, well it's about this woman, see.

I think I'm with Joe on this one, my head might not be ready to explose, but it sure as hell is spinning :)

jimjimgrande
01-02-2010, 09:35 PM
your problem was female actioner = box office poison

You should have pitched a story with a chicken

Chicken Run meets MI:3 = four quadrant box office gold!!!

Rantanplan
01-02-2010, 09:43 PM
your problem was female actioner = box office poison

You should have pitched a story with a chicken

Chicken Run meets MI:3 = four quadrant box office gold!!!

Actually I just read somewhere recently that flicks with femme leads were sort of hot right now, can't remember where.

Anyway, it comes and goes. There have been male directors who totally dig strong female leads, two obvious ones being Tarantino and Cameron.

Angelina seems to have done OK with the Tomb Raider series, as did Kate Beckingsale with the Underworld flicks. You can argue that both of those already had a built-in fan base due to material or genre, but still, they were chicks who carried the films and totally rocked, so I really don't think that's a death curse anymore.

Meh, what do I know.

jimjimgrande
01-03-2010, 12:44 AM
We'll see how SALT does. That was a Tom Cruise movie before he dropped and and Jolie stepped in.

ColeBlackburn
01-04-2010, 03:44 PM
McTheory.
Check your Private Messages for
the addy.
I agree with Joe 100%.
Don't let anyone discourage you or tell
you not to do something. And don't
listen to naysayers. This is a game of
chance. No one knows what may happen.
Good luck with BR.
But don't pitch until you're absolutely
ready.
Cole

Valley Writer
01-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Here are my few cents. I agree with Cole and Joe. You gotta take a bold step sometimes and it just might work. And you gotta be prepared before you step out there, too.

On a personal note, a producer is considering one of my screenplays after I recently sent her production company a query. She admitted in her e-mail request that they don't usually accept unsolicited submissions, but she asked for my script anyway.

Now if I hadn't sent that blind query, well, you know.

true_illusion
01-06-2010, 11:39 AM
I agree with everyone from Joe9 to Cole and everyone else with their point of view.

If you get the email info, which if you have not, pm me, go for it, or mail or fax them a Query. Who cares what all the other doubters think. Bottom line is, if it is good, even the kings of the hill will be interested despite whatever policy they or their office has.

I mean after all i sent a cold query to Mike Esola at WME (whose name last time i checked was on just about everything selling on trackingb), whose corporate policy is to not accept unsolicited material. I know, chances are i wouldnt even hear back from him or i would get the lawyer email response.

But no, Mike actually read the query, passed on the concept and told me why he was passing was because there was a similar idea already in production at ICON.

Worst thing that can happen is you either get a pass or no response what so ever.

CarolP
01-21-2010, 02:45 PM

This post would make a very good essay.