PDA

View Full Version : Betting on Box Office may be approved soon

RogerOThornhill
02-23-2010, 10:41 AM
The CFTC (Commodities Futures Trading Commission) may approve futures contracts in late April that trade based on a movie's domestic office and rise and fall based on both a movie's performance domestically and based on supply and demand for the individual contracts.

Theoretically, even the studio may be able to trade futures contracts on its own movies. Imagine picking up some cheap Blind Side bets last fall.

http://www.cantorexchange.com/Home.aspx

We are very pleased to announce that trading of Domestic Box Office Receipt (DBOR) Movie Futures will commence on Tuesday April 20, 2010, subject to final regulatory approval of our application.

JoeBanks
02-24-2010, 05:12 PM
it's not "betting" in the Vegas sense of wager/payoff. it's a security market, where "stocks" in the movies are traded like any other market would. so there is speculation, which entails risk of course. and yes, The Blind Side derivative made my account a tidy little sum in the practice period last fall.

roscoegino
02-24-2010, 05:58 PM
I heard of this awhile back. I'm going in on the firm belief that Cameron's next film will gross 752 billion dollars.