PDA

View Full Version : Replies to E-Queries?

Jaco Bean
03-06-2010, 04:23 PM
I sent a lot of queries on Thursday and some on Friday. I've only had one response which was sent 1 minute after I sent my query. But since then, my inbox has been empty. Did I send on the wrong day or the wrong weekend?

dmizzo
03-06-2010, 04:49 PM
You know those random emails you get about penis pills and nigerian princes? How often do you fire off a quick response to those? The day of the week doesn't make much difference.

Jaco Bean
03-06-2010, 04:51 PM
So my query was trashed to the spam folder? The reply that confused me was the one which came 1 minute after I hit send. Could that have been an autoresponder?

NikeeGoddess
03-06-2010, 04:56 PM
sending out a blanket of e-queries is like sending your resume out to 100 employers who may or may not have any jobs available. and then the few that do have positions... do you fit the criteria and have the skills they need to fill the position?

did you do your research and send queries out to only those who are looking for your kind of script? if not, then that is reason enough for a low rate of return.

Jaco Bean
03-06-2010, 05:00 PM
I did research and sent my query to those seeking scripts in that specific genre, as well as companies seeking to rep screenwriters. I've also sent queries to some production companies who have produced films which are in the same genre.

Brennen
03-06-2010, 05:29 PM
From my experience day and time doesn't seem to matter. Just keep plugging away. Rarely will you see a quick response from an agent/manager. These folks are very busy, and when they do find the time to check their emails, the inbox is probably flooded with queries. In most cases, if they're not interested in your script they'll just delete the email rather than respond.

If after a few weeks you still aren't getting responses, it's probably related to your query email. The letter might need to be tweaked. Best of luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Jaco Bean
03-06-2010, 05:45 PM
I was more focused on marketing myself as a writer first, spec screenplay second.

mtoomey
03-06-2010, 06:00 PM
I was more focused on marketing myself as a writer first, spec screenplay second.

that could be one of the problems. feel free to post your query for others to give input on.

MT

Jaco Bean
03-06-2010, 06:04 PM
I'll give it seven days to see the responses. Most of the companies were the same which offered representation to me previously.

Jaco Bean
03-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Not to be harsh, but nobody really cares about a writer until AFTER they've read a great script with a great concept and great execution.

Most of the companies were the same which offered representation to me previously.

I'm just wondering if the query response time has gone up than in previous years. That's all. Thanks for your input. Back to writing I go.

author
03-06-2010, 06:45 PM
I'll give it seven days to see the responses. Most of the companies were the same which offered representation to me previously.

It's a lot like fishing -- you tie up an attractive fly, toss it over there in that tree-shaded pool, and hope the big old catfish will bite and not one of the minnows.

But it's more art than science. You gotta have the right bait and play it just right.

All in the wrist.

And I suspect that's the most anyone knows about it when we first start.

Anyway, I gotta get back to fishing. Good luck to us all!

--Ralph

author
03-06-2010, 06:52 PM
It's a lot like fishing -- you tie up an attractive fly, toss it over there in that tree-shaded pool, and hope the big old catfish will bite and not one of the minnows...

Oh, wait! ... I just checked on the Internet, one of the best baits for catfish are crawdads! No wonder they been ignoring my flies.

Back to the baitbox, eh?

FADE IN

A crawdad skips slowly across a placid pond.

Just beneath the surface, Charlie Catfish spies the crawdad.

CHARLIE
Yum! Supper!

Charlie lunges for the crawdad, swallowing it neatly.

See, you just need the right hook.

--Ralph

Why One
03-07-2010, 08:06 AM
I sent a lot of queries on Thursday and some on Friday. I've only had one response which was sent 1 minute after I sent my query. But since then, my inbox has been empty. Did I send on the wrong day or the wrong weekend?

From my experience, most people reply within the hour. After that, the chances of a response decrease exponentially. Everybody has push-email on their phone these days.

I think most people average 5-10% on read requests out of the queries they send out. I always revisit my query to see how I can improve it if I'm not getting requests. The twoadverbs forum is great for that.

Never give up. Try again a few weeks later on a different day and with a fresh query. :)

NikeeGoddess
03-07-2010, 10:42 AM
I was more focused on marketing myself as a writer first, spec screenplay second.agents are looking for writers who have multiple and marketable scripts but production companies are only interested in the scripts. the industry doesn't really respect the writer. haven't you noticed that? all advertisements deal with the a-list actor, producer and/or director but they only mention the writer if that writer is also the director or that writer is oscar winning caliber.

I'm just wondering if the query response time has gone up than in previous years. That's all. Thanks for your input. Back to writing I go.there is no real time. i've gotten both immediate responses like you did AND one that came 8 months later. what if they just "bank" your query and then a year later their company decides they want to find a script that has... whatever but whatever that is, is exactly what this person read 13 months ago. they might go searching for that query.

Jaco Bean
03-07-2010, 11:03 AM
I hope I don't get a reply 8 months away. I will probably have forgotten what I queried.

Furious Anjel
03-07-2010, 12:25 PM
I hope I don't get a reply 8 months away. I will probably have forgotten what I queried.

You're not keeping track?

Jaco Bean
03-07-2010, 12:28 PM
I have a plugin on my Wordpress blog to keep track of queries, but I never update it. Maybe I can do that now.

LeadSolo
03-07-2010, 12:32 PM
You guys are actually falling for this?

Jaco Bean
03-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Would it be too early to send a new query campaign about another script I finished this weekend?

rob1234
03-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Speaking from experience - in my personal opinion, the day you send out your query, does make a difference to your chances, for several reasons I will point out after these short words... If you send out a query, most people (99%) will respond in 1 to 2 days if they like your pitch. If they do not like it, or just won’t accept submissions from any new/unproduced writer, or whom hasn’t been recommended, you won’t get a reply... I would say to get a return ration of about 1 or 2 for every 20 queries, at most, if you are going higher up the chain, is about the norm for me, if you are having a good day - and even those may not get a positive response in their reply... The process is frustrating, but at least you are in the position of being able to send out your script when or if they ask for it.... Anyway, personally, I found out from sending out an almost uncountable amount of queries, that when sending out your enquiry, you are most likely to get a positive response or at least a response on two particular days of the week....strange, but true... Also, one day the person on the other end could be in a good, more compassionate mood and just may give you that chance...on another day, he could be fed up, and does not want to be bombarded with more unsolicited queries... It’s all part of the laborious process which is called ‘a great degree of luck and timing.’ For I would rather write an average script that gets produced than have a great script never produced at all.... Look at all the films released out in the cinema at the moment...most are average, so hopefully the point is understood. I so wish it was all about talent...but lots and lots of luck is needed - unless you know people inside the industry, which gives you an incredible, almost uncatchable head start over any new unknown, unconnected writer. Best of luck with the queries. As long as you keep sending them out, you’ve always got a chance... By the way, if sending your query by email, it should be around 5 to 7 lines at most, with a short blurb/tag line about the story and then what makes your script unique. Don’t give him/her too much to read or they'll be too tired to reply... Let the script do most of your talking... Keep at it and once again best of luck.
from 'Not Rob'

Butch Jarvinen
03-07-2010, 06:09 PM
dontchall think that producers, directors, agents and reps are kinda tied up rigt now with the awards going on??

I'd be willing to bet that queries, etc., are going into a separate mailbox than their personal email address.

They'll probably get to them once the party is over
Echo

rob1234
03-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Yep, they'll all be sipping champagne with their feet up and computers off, whilst the writers will be checking their email every five minutes to see if anything new has come into their inbox... Just another hard day for the writers I guess.

mtoomey
03-07-2010, 10:23 PM
rob1234, out of curiosity, what are your lucky days of the week for sending e-queries?

MT

DavidK
03-08-2010, 02:24 AM
dontchall think that producers, directors, agents and reps are kinda tied up rigt now with the awards going on??

I'd be willing to bet that queries, etc., are going into a separate mailbox than their personal email address.

On the contrary, this is the time people get fired up and passionate about what they're going to do next. As soon as the hangover's gone.

Biohazard
03-08-2010, 05:20 AM
The primary reason a query does not get a response is because the logline does not appeal to whoever you sent it to.

It may not appeal to them for a number of reasons. Perhaps they are not interested in the genre. Perhaps it is out of their budget. Perhaps the concept just sounds like generic s**t.

It has almost nothing to do with day or time. If you have a great premise, people will want to read it.

Post your logline in the Logline forum here to get some new eyes on it. It can only help.

Jaco Bean
03-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Perhaps the concept just sounds like generic s**t.

That's probably the reason with my query! Thanks for your reply.

rob1234
03-08-2010, 03:20 PM
From my experience, strangely enough, Thursday or Friday did not achieve good results...but maybe then, my luck must be different:) Can't be too specific though - have to leave something to say for my autobio one day..:bounce: So my advice to Jaco bean is to change the days...no harm if you do it... And the results are unlikley to be any worse... Change is good :)