PDA

View Full Version : Producer interested release form?

appealing
04-15-2010, 06:40 PM
I've been writing for years but I'm really starting to get into the business side of it all. I have a producer interested. She is interested in the script and asked me to send her a copy. My question, is a release form needed? Should I ask her if she needs me to sign a release form? Opinions welcomed.

catcon
04-15-2010, 08:10 PM
I've been writing for years but I'm really starting to get into the business side of it all. I have a producer interested. She is interested in the script and asked me to send her a copy. My question, is a release form needed? Should I ask her if she needs me to sign a release form? Opinions welcomed.
By way of marketing, I have sometimes offered to sign a release in my queries, just to show I'm businesslike.

But once the producer or anybody of that caliber asks for the script, presuming they're legitimate, I'd say just register the script first and then send it in.

But I'll defer to the more experienced here.

appealing
04-15-2010, 09:12 PM
I've been doing a lot of research and I get two different approaches. Some say sign a release form. Others say don't mention it. I mention release forms in all of my query letters and I've gotten some good responses. Even this producer, I mentioned I will sign a release form if specified. And she just told me she was interested in the screenplay. She's legit, she's done some films and she didn't even ask for a release form. I appreciate the responses.

appealing
04-15-2010, 09:13 PM
By way of marketing, I have sometimes offered to sign a release in my queries, just to show I'm businesslike.

But once the producer or anybody of that caliber asks for the script, presuming they're legitimate, I'd say just register the script first and then send it in.

But I'll defer to the more experienced here.

I've got all four of my screenplays copyrighted. So I guess it should be fine without a release form. What do you think?

catcon
04-15-2010, 09:30 PM
I've got all four of my screenplays copyrighted. So I guess it should be fine without a release form. What do you think?

Even better. I've done that too.

What I've always wondered about though, is how you can gently convince the recipient that you've done this.

You don't want to put copyright and registration numbers up front on the cover page, as if "don't try to steal this", yet you want them to give you some credit for being businesslike enough to have done it.

Yet on the other hand, it probably makes "them" feel a bit more secure knowing that you've protected your intellectual property.

I wish there was just a simple universal rule to, "go ahead, put the registration number on the cover page and we won't be offended."

appealing
04-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Even better. I've done that too.

What I've always wondered about though, is how you can gently convince the recipient that you've done this.

You don't want to put copyright and registration numbers up front on the cover page, as if "don't try to steal this", yet you want them to give you some credit for being businesslike enough to have done it.

Yet on the other hand, it probably makes "them" feel a bit more secure knowing that you've protected your intellectual property.

I wish there was just a simple universal rule to, "go ahead, put the registration number on the cover page and we won't be offended."

Me too. You want to let them know that you know what you're talking about and that you're not a total novice. I mention I will sign a release form because it seems more professional. But I agree with you that a universal approach would be good.

Mac H.
04-16-2010, 04:06 AM
Yet on the other hand, it probably makes "them" feel a bit more secure knowing that you've protected your intellectual property.Why ?

The initial read of a script is kind of like the initial view of a girl in a bar.

Would it make you feel more secure if she pulled out her latest medical certificate to show that she isn't carrying any VDs and that she has paperwork to prove that she isn't currently married and hey - here's her fertility tests to show that ...

Or would you start backing out, being careful to maintain eye contact until you can make a run for safety ?

----

I've got all four of my screenplays copyrighted. So I guess it should be fine without a release form
I think you are mixing two different things up.

A release form protects *THEM*. It does not protect you - and in fact does the exact opposite.

If they don't want a release than don't give them one. It doesn't give YOU any protection anyway.

Mac

EJ Pennypacker
04-16-2010, 07:48 AM
What Mac said. Chances are if they don't ask you to read without signing a release form they aren't exactly a big fish in the pond.

Big companies with real legal depts have to make you sign them - otherwise they can't read it.

Smaller companies don't have to stress over those issues and are more flexible with their approaches to material.

EJ

appealing
04-16-2010, 06:24 PM
What Mac said. Chances are if they don't ask you to read without signing a release form they aren't exactly a big fish in the pond.

Big companies with real legal depts have to make you sign them - otherwise they can't read it.

Smaller companies don't have to stress over those issues and are more flexible with their approaches to material.

EJ

I appreciate the advice. The producer produced a handful of movies. One had two action stars from the 90's. She seems legit to me. She has a ton of credits but it may be that she has a smaller production company as as a whole.

appealing
04-16-2010, 06:30 PM
to MAC

I know that a release form protects them more than you, I just heard
different things from different people. Some agents said sign a release form. Other agents said, like you, don't sign or mention a release form. I'm trying to get a definitive answer. But thanks for your knowledge.