PDA

View Full Version : OWA's (Open Writing Assignments) on the Tracking Boards

loopdesign
02-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Hey Guys,
Quick question RE: The Tracking Boards. How do the open writing assignments work? There seems to be a ton of 'em, and the majority of them appear to be SOLD Projects. (?!) So my 2-part question is ...

1.) Does that imply that the moment these scripts are purchased, they immediately go into rewrite with someone other than the original writer?

and 2.) Are the listings for Agents? Writers? Managers? In other words – if you spotted a project you thought you'd be a good fit for, could you could call your agent and see if you could get a meeting?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lucha Scribre
02-05-2011, 09:53 AM
1. Not a member on either tracking board so I can't answer this one.

2. If you see something you like, just tell your rep.

"Hey. I saw __________ listed on Tracking-Board as an OWA. The listed company is _________________. Can you give them a call to check out the status".

Unless you have a good relationship with that producer mentioned in the post, I don't think you can just call them and say "I can write your script".

I think the OWAs that are being publicly posted are just things that slip through the cracks. Majority are outdated or not updated enough. I doubt they can benefit the unrepped, average writer.

Todd Karate
02-05-2011, 10:00 AM
1.) Does that imply that the moment these scripts are purchased, they immediately go into rewrite with someone other than the original writer?

and 2.) Are the listings for Agents? Writers? Managers? In other words if you spotted a project you thought you'd be a good fit for, could you could call your agent and see if you could get a meeting?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

There are a couple of other threads that deal with OWAs, but regarding these two specific questions:

1. No. I suppose that could happen, but from what I've seen and heard, generally the original writer gets to do a rewrite.

2. All of the above. Yes, you can call your reps and ask them to put you up for a gig.

Hasil Adkins
02-05-2011, 05:43 PM

More likely they were sold, went through one or more re-writes, and for whatever reason the company decided not to go forward with the original writer. (anything from: someone at the studio [or the director, or the star] has a pet writer they want on the project; to: the original writer screwed the pooch)