PDA

View Full Version : WSJ Article: Animation Nation

Happyhack
02-11-2011, 09:17 AM
This is one of those articles that makes me feel like I'm doing everything wrong. It documents a number of people who obtained agents and industry interest through short animated movies. The animation is simplistic and the voices are usually computer-generated.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704858404576134203647487090.html

Fair Use

Todd Karate
02-11-2011, 09:45 AM
What are you doing that's wrong, exactly? These guys just took a different approach.

That actor/agent movie is hilarious, and it makes sense that he would get some interest based off of it. Other people direct spec commercials with their friends and get repped that way. Some folks grew up next door to a big star and get introduced to a producer or agent...

Happyhack
02-11-2011, 09:54 AM
What are you doing that's wrong, exactly? These guys just took a different approach.

That actor/agent movie is hilarious, and it makes sense that he would get some interest based off of it. Other people direct spec commercials with their friends and get repped that way. Some folks grew up next door to a big star and get introduced to a producer or agent...

I guess it's a time management issue. One of the women wrote her script in an hour and received industry attention - significantly less than the time it takes to write a spec feature. It's also easier to be hilariously funny for ten minutes, rather than 100 pages...so, rather than writing another spec, I'm thinking about doing something like this.

On the other hand, I recognize that these things open the door, but to have real success the ability to deliver in a longer medium is required.

cmmora
02-11-2011, 10:00 AM

I'm trying some of these alternate routes. Doing a web series to get exposure for my TV writing and directing. Planning on shooting some spec commercials to showcase my writing and directing (a theme is forming).

And of course, the ever present Spec feature writing, because that is in my blood.

Happyhack
02-11-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm trying some of these alternate routes. Doing a web series to get exposure for my TV writing and directing. Planning on shooting some spec commercials to showcase my writing and directing (a theme is forming).

And of course, the ever present Spec feature writing, because that is in my blood.

Cool! Let us know how this works out for you!

Mario_C
02-11-2011, 10:10 PM

That actor/agent movie is hilarious, and it makes sense that he would get some interest based off of it. Other people direct spec commercials with their friends and get repped that way. Some folks grew up next door to a big star and get introduced to a producer or agent...Or in the words of Mr. Pink, "Some guys are lucky and some guys aren't."
ETA I bet you were wondering where the Ruccolo video was since Xtranormal doesn't have a search engine, apparently. Don't strain yourselves :p :
http://www.deadline.com/tag/richard-ruccolo-video/