PDA

View Full Version : Faith based or not faith based?

Pasquali56
02-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Say you have the rights to a true contemporary drama that is essentially faith based. As the writer, you could lighten up on the faith a bit and shoot for a more mainstream movie -- perhaps a low budget indie or Hallmark type MOW. Or you could delve heavier into the faith and go for an inspirational, faith based feature targeting that niche. I realize that there are many successful mainstream films that have an underlying faith based theme -- like THE BLINDSIDE. Of course, that film also had Sandra Bullock and was based on the life of an all-pro football player. Then there's the NARNIA series, but that's fantasy; I'm talking drama.

My gut tells me to go light on the faith based stuff and make it more mainstream, then the producer can add more faith based elements down the road if need be.

Any thoughts? What approach is generally more appealing to producers/financiers? I know there's a fine line in this type of story. You don't want to alienate those who might think it's too heavy handed. But you also want to appeal to the large segment that is so passionate (so to speak) about spiritually uplifting stories. Of course, I want to stay true to the material -- but the tone of this piece is flexible enough to allow this kind of debate.

NikeeGoddess
02-17-2011, 02:01 PM
i think you need to decide who you want your market audience to be.
me personally - will not watch a hallmark faith based movie
but turn it into something like The Apostle (w/robert duvall) and i'm there.

Joaneasley
02-17-2011, 02:08 PM
There are producers who cater solely to the religious market and others who wouldn't want that. You decide and find out which producers are which.

Jenny
02-17-2011, 02:24 PM
There are producers who cater solely to the religious market and others who wouldn't want that. You decide and find out which producers are which.

This. When it comes time to market your screenplay, you're going to pick one group or the other. There's no sense in playing the middle on the assumption it can be re-written to better fit the producer's needs.

KWhit
02-17-2011, 02:42 PM
The Blind Side was faith based?