PDA

View Full Version : Best places to "Do Lunch"?

Solomon
02-21-2011, 09:02 AM
What are some good places to suggest for a lunch meeting?

jimjimgrande
02-21-2011, 10:08 AM
depends on who you're meeting and what part of town you want to be in --

but for the most part if I'm meeting my agents or execs I'm working with, I always let them pick. They know the go-to places (which will always be around their offices) and they're buying anyways.

Solomon
02-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Yeah. I know what you mean. I'm always stuck at The Palm.

I've been hit with the "where do you want to go" line before. A producer took me to a Korean place in Koreatown before...... all because I didn't speak up.

Just looking for general suggestions so I can give a quick answer of where I'd like to go, and still "act smart" about the business. I think there are going to be a group of generals next month, and typically for me, 1 in 4 have been a lunch (or breakfast)

Derek Haas
02-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Go to spots for us for lunch where you can talk and it isn't too noisy:

Kate Mantilini
Barney's Green Grass
The Grill
BLD
Grub

Hilario113
02-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Botega Louie

Solomon
02-21-2011, 12:27 PM
I've heard good things about Bottega Louie and Grub. I've done a few at The Grill. I'll keep notes on these. Thanks guys.

To add input on my own question. For doing lunch around the Universal lot, I'd suggest Ca Del Sole. It's right around the corner, and they have a pretty cool lunch menu + patio. :)

12916studios
02-21-2011, 12:47 PM
In-N-Out Burger

Derek Haas
02-21-2011, 01:07 PM
I've been informed that it is not Barney's Green Grass as I was led to believe but Barney Greengrass, which is a dude's name, even though the restaurant is on the top floor of Barney's, the department store.

That's synergy!

gravitas
02-21-2011, 01:24 PM
In-N-Out Burger

One day I had a heavy dose of meetings, and on the way back home I stopped at In-N-Out to get a couple burgers - with onions. Huge fvcking mistake. Even though they were in the bag, my car smelled like onions for 4 days. Nothing would work. I got the car cleaned. Febreeze. I drove to all the rest of my meetings with the windows down so I didn't smell like an onion. And I tried not to walk downwind of the execs.

Ravenlocks
02-21-2011, 03:25 PM
A producer took me to a Korean place in Koreatown before......
I like this producer already and I don't even know him/her. :love:

Botega Louie
I remember this place as good but loud, so I'm not sure it would be ideal for a chat. But maybe it's different at lunch.

Rantanplan
02-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Aside from the right places, there should also be a list of Food Not To Order when on an important business lunch.

I would say: anything smelly, anything messy, anything that requires lengthy chewing (while exec waits for an answer), anything tricky, anything too loud and crunchy, anything likely to get suck in front tooth.

Good bets are things you can easily stab with a fork and dispense of quickly, such at cute little raviolis.

Geoff Alexander
02-21-2011, 05:52 PM
What are some good places to suggest for a lunch meeting?

I like the Urth Cafe. Very consistent food, lots of douchebags.

Geoff Alexander
02-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Go to spots for us for lunch where you can talk and it isn't too noisy:

Kate Mantilini
Barney's Green Grass
The Grill
BLD
Grub

BLD has the best turkey pastrami I've ever had.

JJBones
02-21-2011, 06:14 PM
I like the Urth Cafe. Very consistent food, lots of douchebags.

So which do you prefer though? The food or the douchebags? ;)

Seriously, it's a shame because the food is decent, but I'm always having to get takeout to avoid the company.

BTW I vote Santa Monica worse than WeHo or Beverly Hills for the D-bag factor.

gravitas
02-21-2011, 07:05 PM
BLD has the best turkey pastrami I've ever had.

WHAAT? I'm going now.

Hamboogul
02-21-2011, 07:59 PM
I like BLD and Urth Caffe. My favorite casual lunch place is Damian and Pythias in Westwood. Though it's been steadily getting crappier.

I think if you want quiet place to talk in a corner booth, Jerry's Deli is a safe choice.

AJ_FIN
02-21-2011, 08:50 PM
What should you order so you don't come off amateurish?

michaelb
02-21-2011, 11:00 PM
Just ask the assistant of whoever you are meeting with for a couple ideas/places that their boss likes and pick one (near their office). That's the easiest way to decide.

Terrance Mulloy
02-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Does Bubba Gump count? I love that place.

BrianB
02-22-2011, 12:04 AM
Is it an issue that, as a writer I ate with once put it, I eat "fvcking slow?" Like, he got up and got desert before I was halfway through my burger slow?

I'd hate to finally "do lunch" and miss out on an opportunity because I suck at eating.

InfiniteJest
02-22-2011, 06:25 AM
Good thread. After I get the rep out of the trunk and get the black bag off his head I want him to be pleasantly surprised by my taste in restaurants!

TOP FIVE REP
Great! I love the Oak Room!

ME
Oh good! I'll take off the cuffs when the appetizers come.
If you order anything over fifty bucks, I will taze you.

elevenbulls
02-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Great thread - but can we broaden it to include suggestions of bars to get a drink in or shops to linger in when you've arrived way too early for your meeting, you're sweating your balls off and you don't want to come off like a weirdo?

Todd Karate
02-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Good thread. After I get the rep out of the trunk and get the black bag off his head I want him to be pleasantly surprised by my taste in restaurants!

TOP FIVE REP
Great! I love the Oak Room!

ME
Oh good! I'll take off the cuffs when the appetizers come.
If you order anything over fifty bucks, I will taze you.

Ummm... you shouldn't be paying.

InfiniteJest
02-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Somebody should get paid for putting up with my bvllshizt