PDA

View Full Version : Question for Derek Haas...

jeffoscribe
03-01-2011, 12:41 PM
My Dad and I love old westerns and were talking about turning an old classic into a feature. Being that you are a veteran of writing a western, I wanted to get your thoughts.

What do you think about turning "Have Gun Will Travel" into a feature? Any potential there?

Of course anyone else is welcome to chime in. Just wanted to ask Derek directly with his western experience.

TheKeenGuy
03-01-2011, 12:47 PM
I think Paramount is still trying to get HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL into production as a feature film.

A few years ago, Eminem was circling the project as a possible Paladin. I don't know if he's still involved.

NikeeGoddess
03-01-2011, 12:47 PM
not only must you get the rights to do something like this, you gotta do your research.
it's already in development w/ Eminem cast as Paladine

NikeeGoddess
03-01-2011, 12:49 PM
lol

michaelb
03-01-2011, 03:09 PM
You can't turn a TV show into a feature unless you have the rights.

For writing things on Spec, have an original idea.

FYI - I love westerns (but sadly, they are one of the hardest genres to get made).

wcmartell
03-01-2011, 03:11 PM
I think my friend John (Hill) did a draft or two of that over a decade ago. He must have done a draft or two of every western TV show ever made.

- Bill

Rantanplan
03-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Speaking of westerns, there was a French western based off a French comic book called Blueberry (there have been several very successful French comic series taking place in the Wild West), starring a very gritty Vincent Cassel.

I just looked it up and it was also called RENEGADE (original title was BLUEBERRY) and it was shot partially in English, with Juliette Lewis, Michael Madsen, Colm Meany and others.

Anybody know if it ever got released here? I seem to recall it landed a U.S. distrib but then I never heard anything about it. Awesome cast though

Moviequill
03-01-2011, 05:15 PM
find a Western story in the public domain and put a new spin on it...

Derek Haas
03-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Westerns are hard to get made. We were approached in the last six months about HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL... but the mandate was to modernize it.

Paladin is a great, complex character and I think ripe for a movie, but it's a waste of your time unless you have the rights. I love the old radio show even more than the TV version.

catcon
03-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Phoenix has had my Western-Horror for 3+ months.

I checked in after 2 months and they said they were still looking at it and ??????? (unnamed) would get back to me when the process was complete."

I assume this is good news, and am happy to give them all the time they want!

jeffoscribe
03-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Westerns are hard to get made. We were approached in the last six months about HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL... but the mandate was to modernize it.

Paladin is a great, complex character and I think ripe for a movie, but it's a waste of your time unless you have the rights. I love the old radio show even more than the TV version.

Modernize it how? Eminem as Paladin is certainly an intersting take. One I would not have thought of.

I'd hope they'd keep it as a western.

I wasn't thinking of this as a writing project. Just conversation. I know I'd have to get the rights, etc. Sorry for not being clear.

carcar
03-01-2011, 10:40 PM
I'd love to see Have Gun, Will Travel. Only discovered it for the first time this summer. Can't quite picture Eminem, though...