PDA

View Full Version : Sizzlers/teasers needed?

heavenlysurfer
04-15-2011, 11:11 PM
A production co read my logline for a reality show concept and requested the treatment/bible..after they read the treatment they requested a 2-3 minute "sizzler" or "teaser" video...told them I didnt have one and she said that is usually the "next step" but would submit to her VP for him to look at in 2 weeks when he returned from out of country...I've never heard of not having a "teaser" a deal breaker for a pilot or concept...but at least it still isn't a "nooooo.."

Chakala
04-16-2011, 12:39 AM
Might be my ignorance, but (depending on the pilot) how can they expect you to shoot a 'sizzler' in two weeks? Even the shortest short film/clips can involve a lot of production work. This is not a casual ask, IMO.

Is this request legit? Never heard of this.

heavenlysurfer
04-18-2011, 11:32 AM
Well she spoke with her VP and he informed her, "that we cannot move on without a sizzle for your concept" so I am a little befuddled...told her I'm a writer not a filmmaker...but would see what I can do...just hate to throw together something half-baked with my video camera...

YakMan
04-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Do you have a bud with a nice 1080 HDTV cam and a little finesse with Final Cut that you can barter with??? And a bunch'a friends you can assemble for a guerrilla crew/cast?

Your post brings me back to what the demos for "South Park" and "Beevis & Butthead" looked like. They were stick-figure crap -- but the pitchers presented them with such a sense of humor and defined concept, the lack of production values weren't a problem and we all know the rest. So you could do a VERY rough cut and mebbe they'd cut you some slack -- and appreciate the ambition your just showed in the time allowed?

I've just been in Video Magazine production so whaddyi know? But geez, here's your opportunity = you aren't just a "writer," you're an entrepreneur doing whatever it takes to make the sale!!! :)

heavenlysurfer
04-18-2011, 11:10 PM
I am going to contact a couple of local video production houses and see what they can put together...not giving up...she said it's "standard" now that for a reality show you have to have a "teaser" or "sizzle" of 2-3 minutes...they must like the concept enough to ask for this...

one seven spectrum
04-18-2011, 11:33 PM
Find a couple of similar films to your project and chop them together to make a one minute trailer. I've seen this done a few times.

But I'm not a lawyer, there could be legal ramifications for doing that. I'm just sayin...

heavenlysurfer
04-26-2011, 07:22 AM
Have a guy with a 1080 HDTV cam and editing equip from local video prod co working on..he agreed to do it for peanuts and if it sells I'll give him a bonus...anyone know how much a reality TV concept sells for these days?

heavenlysurfer
07-06-2011, 01:12 PM
They rejected the first sizzler as too mtv/vh1..said they wanted it to mirror my treatment more which they said was more CBS..second attempt we took some of their advice under wing but still a no-go(my video guy shortened it and toned down some music)..switching to another video production guy-he is a little more costly but seems to have a better grasp at on what they want after reading my treatment and the companies criticisms..they have have left the door open for me to send a better sizzler..so hopefully the third time will be the charm...The first three minutes of "Expedition Impossible" with a narrator explaining the show briskly is what I believe I need to shoot for this time..

Manchester
07-06-2011, 01:26 PM
I think it's great that you're posting updates here. Thanks. And, keep at it.

Juno Styles
07-09-2011, 08:47 AM
said they wanted it to mirror my treatment more which they said was more CBS

Woulda been nice if they had mentioned this before you started filming/editing. Good luck.

BurOak
07-12-2011, 07:46 PM
So now they're expecting writers to be producers and/or directors, too?

heavenlysurfer
07-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Yes why can't they just buy the concept..they're a production co-why cant they make a 2-3 min sizzler themselves..? Hmmm..still working on attempt number three..

The White Album
07-13-2011, 04:20 AM
A production co read my logline for a reality show concept and requested the treatment/bible..after they read the treatment they requested a 2-3 minute "sizzler" or "teaser" video...told them I didnt have one and she said that is usually the "next step" but would submit to her VP for him to look at in 2 weeks when he returned from out of country...I've never heard of not having a "teaser" a deal breaker for a pilot or concept...but at least it still isn't a "nooooo.."

See here: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=62433&highlight=white+album

heavenlysurfer
09-22-2011, 11:43 AM
After sending the 5th sizzler version now they are asking more details on how contests would be done on the show-included in a new treatment/Bible..hmmm..

Chakala
09-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Um, that's too much free work, IMHO. You may as well shoot the pilot!

Is this a legit PRODUCTION company? With you doing all the work? What are they going to do when you have an acceptable teaser- shop it around town, showcasing the work they didn't do?

What I'd do: I think it's time to tell them you'll work with them on the writing, but inform them this is the last incarnation they're gonna get. Pin down exactly what they want, give it a shot, and walk if they want more than tweaks. Oh, and tell them you can't come up with any more 'sizzlers' because your production budget got cut.

I've heard of jumping though hoops, but it sounds like you got Cirque du Soleil going on.

Juno Styles
09-22-2011, 03:44 PM
There's more than one production company out there too. F&^% all that slave labor. Either they're taking you for a ride or your sizzler's don't look that great in terms of selling the concept.

Filmfelinemeowmeow
09-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Well she spoke with her VP and he informed her, "that we cannot move on without a sizzle for your concept" so I am a little befuddled...told her I'm a writer not a filmmaker...but would see what I can do...just hate to throw together something half-baked with my video camera...

I'm a vegetarian and it pains me to suggest this, but perhaps you could send him some bacon and eggs?