PDA

View Full Version : How does something end up on a tracking board?

McNamara
05-07-2011, 07:25 AM
If manager said he's sending script out to 20 companies, is that "going wide"? And if so, how would it end up on a tracking board? I guess I need to buy a password to check, huh?

gravitas
05-07-2011, 01:11 PM
There are many private tracking boards where information is shared, so you may never know if something's tracking. I belong to trackingb, but when my script went out, it didn't track - at least on there. Is it a plus or minus to end up on a tracking board? I don't know. Good luck.

McNamara
05-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks! Who does the tracking? Do people who receive it post to those boards?

gravitas
05-07-2011, 03:47 PM
No, the "real" boards are executives, reps. They don't post spec info, coverage or thoughts on any public forums. I wish I had more experience to offer, maybe someone who knows more will chime in. MichaelB is very knowledgable in this regard, among others here.

On another note, when you've got something making the rounds, it's nerve racking. You want to know everything, every step. Everybody told me to start something new, but my mind wasn't there. Staying busy is important for sure, then you think less about things like tracking boards. Keep us updated on your progress.

Ronaldinho
05-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks! Who does the tracking? Do people who receive it post to those boards?

The best way to think of tracking boards is as an online version of a bunch of assistants who get together for drinks at the end of the day and unwind, talking about their jobs.

Although some have become codified and official, that's all they really are. Except virtual.

You get on a particular tracking board by knowing people on it - and getting invited. The same way you join a group of people who meet regularly for drinks after work.

I mean, there's one or two which are more official, and you can apply to and they'll check to make sure you really work where you say you work, and go from there.

But even that's really just more of a "industry mixer for assistants" which everybody hears about and they've rented out a wing of a restaurant.

McNamara
05-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks guys, will update if and when there's anything to update. It's been a couple of weeks and I haven't heard a peep.

jtwg50
05-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Tracking boards can make or break a script within a very short time. They are much more important than hinted at by any other poster yet. Here's the best article I've ever found about them -- from WIRED.
Read it and weep.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.05/hollywood_pr.html

cvolante
05-08-2011, 10:27 AM
And that's why they say it's a combination of talent and luck, and why EVERYONE mentions luck!

McNamara
05-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Very interesting. But who posts about the script? The rep who sends it out or folks who receive it?

michaelb
05-08-2011, 09:15 PM
The best way to think of tracking boards is as an online version of a bunch of assistants who get together for drinks at the end of the day and unwind, talking about their jobs.

Although some have become codified and official, that's all they really are. Except virtual.

You get on a particular tracking board by knowing people on it - and getting invited. The same way you join a group of people who meet regularly for drinks after work.

I mean, there's one or two which are more official, and you can apply to and they'll check to make sure you really work where you say you work, and go from there.

But even that's really just more of a "industry mixer for assistants" which everybody hears about and they've rented out a wing of a restaurant.

This is pretty much accurate. You also have boards that are all executives and reps. Others that are mix of assistants and execs. They very in size from a handful of people to hundreds.

Almost all of them are based either in google groups (though some are yahoo groups).

When it comes to specs going out, it if starts to hit a couple boards, it usually ends up hitting most of them.

In answering some other questions I saw in this thread:

It varies on who posts about the script. Usually an assistant or exec that is sent the script posts it to a board they are one. Or if a rep chooses to, they will post it when they are going out wide.

Yes, boards can have an impact on a script, but that is also just based on how good the script is. If a script is ****, people that have read it will say it is ****. If it's great, people will say how great it is. And yes, if new information (that is true) hits a board about a project, it can in fact help.

Best,

Michael

McNamara
05-09-2011, 08:08 AM
Thx Michael, very helpful, as are all of your posts.
If my mgr sends it out to 20-30 people is that "going wide"? Do folks usually hear something back fairly quickly?