PDA

View Full Version : Registration WGA

VanceVanCleaf
05-15-2011, 09:11 AM
hello,

I registered my script last year with the WGA and later CHANGED it. Do I have to register it again now? :o

JJBones
05-15-2011, 09:26 AM
If you're talking about minor changes/updates, don't bother.

If you're talking about substantial changes to plot, character, etc... Entirely new and large chunks that you believe aren't part of the original and you feel the need to "protect" via new registration, then go ahead.

But this brings up an issue I see people asking about sometimes, wanting to register their treatment/outlines, then various drafts of scripts, etc...

I have no idea where YOU are specifically in the process, but in general, I mean, honestly, until the material is going out into the world, there's no point. If you're talking about treatments/drafts you're writing for yourself on the path to being ready for submissions, etc... Save your money until the moment you NEED to protect it. I think some people get caught up in the concept of registering/ copyrighting just for the sake of doing it. And they end up registering multiple drafts that no one else ever even reads, so really who are you protecting it from?

catcon
05-15-2011, 01:21 PM
If you're talking about minor changes/updates, don't bother.

If you're talking about substantial changes to plot, character, etc... Entirely new and large chunks that you believe aren't part of the original and you feel the need to "protect" via new registration, then go ahead.

But this brings up an issue I see people asking about sometimes, wanting to register their treatment/outlines, then various drafts of scripts, etc...

I have no idea where YOU are specifically in the process, but in general, I mean, honestly, until the material is going out into the world, there's no point. If you're talking about treatments/drafts you're writing for yourself on the path to being ready for submissions, etc... Save your money until the moment you NEED to protect it. I think some people get caught up in the concept of registering/ copyrighting just for the sake of doing it. And they end up registering multiple drafts that no one else ever even reads, so really who are you protecting it from?

Fine advice. Heck, just last night I changed the title of a registered script. I figure it's a "script" registration service, not a "title" registration service, so I shouldn't have to bother re-registering.

VanceVanCleaf
05-16-2011, 06:03 AM
Thanks =)
I know it would be stupid to register every version of the script's draft.;) I explain, because I have two scripts, and maybe my postings here thus were a bit chaotic.

I just happened to get an evaluation for "Seed of Blood" AFTER registration and sending out - and so I wanted to make some technical changes. But the plot and characters are not concerned, so I think I'm safe with the former registration.

Normally, I register the finished script before sending it out to proof reading. (As I did yesterday with "Pact with the Devil", the one I discussed more in large here ;)).

I protect ideas and concepts here in my home country, before talking about them in the internet and to strangers ;) and I protect the finished stuff, before I send it out completely to proof reading.