PDA

View Full Version : Pre-production budget

viejojoe
06-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Who pays for the pre-production budget? Is the screen writer obligated to share this expense?

Thanks,

Joe

vizfxman
06-01-2011, 07:36 PM
I would think the only time that would be the case is when the writer is also taking on the role of producer.

DavidK
06-01-2011, 07:54 PM
If it's a financed production, no, the production company/studio finances pre-production. That budget has nothing to do with the writer or the writer's fee unless the writer is financing the movie.

Joe Unidos
06-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Who pays for the pre-production budget? Is the screen writer obligated to share this expense?

Thanks,

Joe

Short answer: NO!

wcmartell
06-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Money flows *to* the writer.

- Bill

Juno Styles
06-04-2011, 03:12 AM
The pre production budget is still part of the overall production budget and not separate correct? When you hear about films being in preproduction for 3 and 4 months that stuff has to cost a good amount of money. I imagine those below the line people aren't working for free.

one seven spectrum
06-04-2011, 03:56 AM
A production budget should incorporate pre-prod, shooting and post-prod. If you are asked to cough up cash towards the "pre-production budget" - kindly tell the schmuck who has asked you for it to f*&k off.

DavidK
06-05-2011, 02:53 AM
FWIW, when a film is financed, the budget typically covers all these:
Story rights / script + Development + Legal / admin / accounting + Pre-production + Principal photography / production / CGI + Post production / music + Release print / inter-positive/negative / security back-ups + deliverable documentation.
The writer doesn't pay for any of this. The only time a writer would put money in is if they had equity in the project which in turn usually only happens with writer/producers. There are exceptions to everything but the above is normal.

Mac H.
06-05-2011, 03:09 AM
The only time a writer would put money in is if they had equity in the project which in turn usually only happens with writer/producers. The problem is that there are probably some dubious 'production' companies which receive scripts and then reply "We'd love to move forward in this project with you as a producer (even if we haven't read the script). We'll meet half of the pre-production expenses and you pay for the other half. It will cost $X thousand. This is your chance to be great. This is the way the business works."

We know that 'you are only being billed half of our `standard` rates' is fiction.

We see people hurt by these kind of 'business' deals. We know that they claim that nobody else is complaining - not mentioning the little detail of the NDA that other 'business' partners are limited by.

When I see a relatively new poster asking the question I worry that they are close to being hurt by the people offering a 'deal'.

Mac

Juno Styles
06-05-2011, 09:59 AM
"This is the way the business works."

chances are if somebody is telling you this is how the business works yet you still feel like this (http://www.longislandfilm.com/images/films/donkey%20oatie%20image.jpg).....then you're being taken for a ride.

BurOak
06-05-2011, 07:06 PM
The problem is that there are probably some dubious 'production' companies which receive scripts and then reply "We'd love to move forward in this project with you as a producer (even if we haven't read the script). We'll meet half of the pre-production expenses and you pay for the other half. It will cost $X thousand. This is your chance to be great. This is the way the business works."

We know that 'you are only being billed half of our `standard` rates' is fiction.

We see people hurt by these kind of 'business' deals. We know that they claim that nobody else is complaining - not mentioning the little detail of the NDA that other 'business' partners are limited by.

When I see a relatively new poster asking the question I worry that they are close to being hurt by the people offering a 'deal'.

Mac

Sound like anyone we know...say in Marina Del Rey? :confused: :eek:

DavidK
06-06-2011, 09:01 PM

Yes - ambition shouldn't cloud one's judgement and the same self-regulation should apply to this as for any investment. If a writer is contemplating exposing themselves to a high degree of risk in a film investment - and film investments are a risky as any - they should know exactly what they are letting themselves in for before parting with any cash. Films are not a good area to invest in on spec, quite the contrary.