PDA

View Full Version : Do CEs read or is it left to reader?

AlexNoa
06-09-2012, 08:10 AM
Maybe it's the third option that CEs only read if readers give good coverage?

Joaneasley
06-09-2012, 08:54 AM
CEs read all the time, but they prioritize the scripts they need to read because an urgent decision needs to be made or because of a personal relationship with someone. It's more likely a reader or assistant will get first crack at the scripts they request from queries.

AlexNoa
06-09-2012, 09:04 AM
CEs read all the time, but they prioritize the scripts they need to read because an urgent decision needs to be made or because of a personal relationship with someone. It's more likely a reader or assistant will get first crack at the scripts they request from queries.

How about when reps send the script to them?

jtwg50
06-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Alex: It depends a lot on the rep and how well he/she knows the folks at the entity (studio or prodco) to which the script is being submitted. Also, if the agent's pitch is, "I have a new writer with a script you should take a look at," it's more likely to go to a reader first -- regardless of relationship between agent and contact.
BUT, if a reputable agent, maybe not even known to the contact but with a track record of selling hot spec, says, "You HAVE to read this -- this weekend -- and get back to me on Monday, it will blow you mind and be hot next week," then it will more likely get read by the CE, right away. But as you can surmise, the latter does not happen very often.

michaelb
06-09-2012, 05:28 PM
It really depends on who is sending your script (and what level of writer you are). When a rep with a good reputation for sending out good material sends a script, they read it. When a rep with a bad reputation for sending out bad scripts sends it out, they dump it on a reader.

Also keep in mind, CE's have all of the scripts sent to the execs above them dumped on them as well. They are reading 20 to 30 scripts a week, and doing notes on those that are projects, while also meeting with writers and directors (on top of networking). It's a lot of grueling hours being a CE.

AlexNoa
06-09-2012, 08:41 PM
It really depends on who is sending your script (and what level of writer you are). When a rep with a good reputation for sending out good material sends a script, they read it. When a rep with a bad reputation for sending out bad scripts sends it out, they dump it on a reader.

Also keep in mind, CE's have all of the scripts sent to the execs above them dumped on them as well. They are reading 20 to 30 scripts a week, and doing notes on those that are projects, while also meeting with writers and directors (on top of networking). It's a lot of grueling hours being a CE.

If I've met with the ce's before, is it likelier they'll read the scripts themselves? And my rep said we'll hear back on Monday. If they really loved it, is it possible to get a call over the wkend? I just want to know if I should wait by the phone or not. Thanks.

michaelb
06-09-2012, 08:45 PM
If I've met with the ce's before, is it likelier they'll read the scripts themselves? And my rep said we'll hear back on Monday. If they really loved it, is it possible to get a call over the wkend? I just want to know if I should wait by the phone or not. Thanks.

Yes, then they most likely are.

Wait by the phone? Don't you have a cell? Anyway, no, there is a 99.999% chance you will not be getting a call over the weekend. That only happens in highly competitive situations.

AlexNoa
06-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Yes, then they most likely are.

Wait by the phone? Don't you have a cell? Anyway, no, there is a 99.999% chance you will not be getting a call over the weekend. That only happens in highly competitive situations.

I have a cell. I'm still waiting by it though haha. Shouldn't the rep be making every situation seem highly competitive?

Levenger
06-09-2012, 09:04 PM
I have a cell. I'm still waiting by it though haha. Shouldn't the rep be making every situation seem highly competitive?

What exactly does that mean? The market dictates the level of competition, not the rep.

Todd Karate
06-09-2012, 09:05 PM

You can't lie. Everyone knows each other.

Your rep can't say "Hey, such and such is interested, better hurry!" because they'll just call whoever that is and ask.

And CE's aren't pulling the trigger anyway.

Get the hell away from your phone. Do anything else to keep your mind off it.

AlexNoa
06-09-2012, 09:09 PM
You can't lie. Everyone knows each other.

Your rep can't say "Hey, such and such is interested, better hurry!" because they'll just call whoever that is and ask.

And CE's aren't pulling the trigger anyway.

Get the hell away from your phone. Do anything else to keep your mind off it.

Heh words of wisdom, Todd. Watching the basketball game and questions are popping up but you guys are being great by answering them.

AlexNoa
06-09-2012, 09:33 PM
While I'm waiting for the Pacquiao fight to start 'cause he thought the NBA game would go on longer...checking out the TrackingB site. Why is it that so many scripts seem to go out one day, then the next day territories are already being requested by the producers? Has it just been reported late?

e.g. "out to producers" June 5th

"territories assigned soon" June 7

"producers taking territories" June 8

michaelb
06-09-2012, 10:00 PM
While I'm waiting for the Pacquiao fight to start 'cause he thought the NBA game would go on longer...checking out the TrackingB site. Why is it that so many scripts seem to go out one day, then the next day territories are already being requested by the producers? Has it just been reported late?

e.g. "out to producers" June 5th

"territories assigned soon" June 7

"producers taking territories" June 8

That's what happens with hot scripts. They move quick. Especially by more established writers (if they are even leaked on the boards, often they aren't).

AlexNoa
06-09-2012, 11:32 PM
So besides being by established writers, how does a situation get created that a script "becomes hot"?

Hamboogul
06-10-2012, 07:15 AM
So besides being by established writers, how does a situation get created that a script "becomes hot"?

You either write an amazingly great script or a topical commercial script. But in the bigger picture, a spec script selling or not selling isn't as important as it opening doors and creating relationships.

You want a CE who reads it to tell the boss "You have to read this." Then also have that CE go on the 5 to 10 tracking boards he/she is a part of and say "I read this amazing script by a new writer." That makes others want to read it, too. And hopefully that will lead them to feeling the same way about your script and wanting to meet you. Companies aren't actively looking to buy the next hot script. But they are always in need of writers for their projects. And perhaps that could be you based on your writing sample.

mgwriter
06-10-2012, 07:26 AM
... "I read this amazing script by a new writer." ...

But what happens if it's an "amazing" script by an old and decrepit writer?

AlexNoa
06-10-2012, 09:47 AM
You either write an amazingly great script or a topical commercial script. But in the bigger picture, a spec script selling or not selling isn't as important as it opening doors and creating relationships.

You want a CE who reads it to tell the boss "You have to read this." Then also have that CE go on the 5 to 10 tracking boards he/she is a part of and say "I read this amazing script by a new writer." That makes others want to read it, too. And hopefully that will lead them to feeling the same way about your script and wanting to meet you. Companies aren't actively looking to buy the next hot script. But they are always in need of writers for their projects. And perhaps that could be you based on your writing sample.

Great insight, Hamboogul. So I assume in this scenario the CE is not looking to move this script up at his company since that'd create a "hot" environment for the script, and just wants to spread the word around about the writer?

AlexNoa
06-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Got a response back, they loved the writing but ultimately felt it wasn't something they do. Is this a normal way to politely pass or if they didn't like the script they'd say so?

Levenger
06-14-2012, 08:28 PM
That's pretty standard, did they use the word love or like? Pretty big difference. "we liked the writing" is pretty standard.

EJ Pennypacker
06-14-2012, 08:36 PM
When you get passes like that you can ask your reps if it's worth meeting with them for a "general" meeting, which is where you go and see them in a week or twos time and you talk about your projects and it's a basic social meeting with no strings attached.

You should try and get as many of these types of meetings lined up as possible.

EJ

AlexNoa
06-14-2012, 08:44 PM
That's pretty standard, did they use the word love or like? Pretty big difference. "we liked the writing" is pretty standard.

Happily, the writing was loved.

Levenger
06-14-2012, 09:38 PM
"loved" is great. Get your reps to set up a meeting with the CE or VP and pitch the hell out of some other projects!

Todd Karate
06-15-2012, 01:56 PM
did they use the word love or like? Pretty big difference.

What?

There's no difference.

It's a polite pass.

ETA: I'm not trying to knock anyone down or whatever; and this isn't directed at the OP. Just saying, the two statements are interchangeable.

Hamboogul
06-15-2012, 03:15 PM
What?

There's no difference.

It's a polite pass.

ETA: I'm not trying to knock anyone down or whatever; and this isn't directed at the OP. Just saying, the two statements are interchangeable.

So true. If they truly loved the writing, even if the script doesn't fit the company's mandate, they will hound your reps to set up a meeting with you.

ATB
06-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Killin' you with kindness. Keep your chin up, Noa.

AlexNoa
06-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the perspective and support. Still waiting to hear back from other companies. Got a meeting with one, happily. Fingers are crossed.