PDA

View Full Version : Craig Mazin on the WGA Survey

UglyShirts
07-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Here's an article with a link to the audio file of the recent interview Mr. Mazin gave on the WGA Survey.

As with every bit of wisdom he drops, it is MORE than worth checking out:

Craig Mazin Explains How the Screenwriting Industry Got So Depressing. (http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/wga-survey-craig-mazin-explains-how-the-screenwriting-industry-got-so-depressing.php)

corduroy
07-27-2012, 02:48 PM
That is a great interview that really lays out the problems facing screenwriters right now. Craig Mazin uses his mild grouchiness for good!

Craig Mazin
07-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Even that comes off as grouchy?

Huh. Have to recalibrate my sense of self-grouchiness.

Concord
07-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Craig, I didn't think you came off as grouchy. I thought you were reasoned, measured, sensible.

If you'd been grouchy, you would have taken the opportunity to complain about late payments.

As a newbie here, I found it very interesting. And the current business practices of the majors give me yet another reason to think indie production and distribution is the way to go.

Quick question for anyone, apologies if it veers off topic: It's easy to see how indie productions can be distributed on the web. Is there currently a business model for getting indie films into a large number of theaters? (That is, more than just an art house here and a four-wall rental there?)

JeffLowell
07-29-2012, 12:06 PM
And the current business practices of the majors give me yet another reason to think indie production and distribution is the way to go.

If you think WGA signatories treat writers badly...

Craig Mazin
07-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Yeah, sorry to burst your bubble, but the studios are waaaaaay better about this stuff than indies.

Colin Holmes
07-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Psssst guys, it's not just screenwriting.

If your life is looking mostly at LA or NY and the entertainment biz, you may think the survey shows a gloomy state of affairs that is unfair to screenwriters.

In the large landmass beneath the airplane, that's called the recession. it's been going on since about the middle of 2008.

corduroy
07-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Even that comes off as grouchy?

Huh. Have to recalibrate my sense of self-grouchiness.

It was the mildest and best form of grouchiness, also known as "Someone speaking righteously in a way I find satisfying and agree with".

(Seriously, I thought it was a great discussion of the gloomy state of affairs, made very understandable for laypersons. Thanks!)

Craig Mazin
07-29-2012, 04:46 PM
My pleasure.

JoJo
07-29-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm currently reading WHAT MAKES SAMMY RUN and there's a scene that talks about a parade of writers being brought in to give their take on a studio's pitch/project, and in the end the studio takes the best of all the ideas they've heard (for free) and hand it over to the writer they've had waiting in the wings - basically the same the situation Craig describes as a "bake-off/sweepstakes".