PDA

View Full Version : Anybody done the independent thing?

Colin Holmes
08-31-2012, 12:09 PM
I've had solid interest from an independent producer. Loves the concept wants me to work on the rewrite and is setting up meetings to sell to investors.
I've built a pitch book with the treatment and her rough budgets and production timelines and the like.

Our first investor pitch meeting is next week.

Anything to watch out for?

Levenger
08-31-2012, 08:17 PM
I mean, at this point watch out for everything. There's nothing specific you can do but hope everything goes as planned.

DavidK
09-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Anything to watch out for?

Yes, watch to see if their eyes light up when you admit you don't have an agent/manager/entertainment attorney representing your interests. It could be a fantastic break, but protect yourself. If they ask you to invest, or try to bully you into signing something without professional advice, run.

ETA: After reading Vance's comment below I realize I should have added that these things can be great opportunities. However things turn out, always try leaving them thinking you're the sort of person they'd like to work with.

sppeterson
09-04-2012, 07:33 PM
There are a bunch of ways it can go wrong. But these things can also go right and actually get made.

Try to learn as much as possible from the collaboration process. It's the best kind of training.

Ask to sit in on casting sessions. It's way fun listening to half a dozen different actors interpret your scenes.

Know that if even this movie doesn't work out, the working relationship you establish can lead to paying, produced assignments down the line.

Vance
09-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Know that if even this movie doesn't work out, the working relationship you establish can lead to paying, produced assignments down the line.

This.

What's interesting is that, while the dealings have been very straightforward for me in independents, I actually ran into a lot more drama queens there than in my (admittedly limited) experience in the studio system. Your mileage may vary, and most people you're going to meet are going to be pretty damn cool, but yeah...

In addition to what folks have said above, if you hear the term "deferred payment" or anything like it, be prepared to back away slowly or be comfortable with the fact that you're not getting paid.

goldmund
09-06-2012, 03:47 AM
Hahahah that's a great Kinsky, Vance.

Colin, how did you find the producer? Hollywood execs tend to like my stuff but consider it too independent in flavor, so I guess I need to get used to the idea I'm incurable...