PDA

View Full Version : Network Development Exec requests hard copy through snail mail...

MattyLock
10-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Hey guys,

I just got a request for a script of mine from a VP of Development at a cable network. However, he requested I mail it in. That's great, but should I include anything else in the package, like a cover letter or a note of thanks?

SoCalScribe
10-01-2012, 03:59 PM
Hey guys,

I just got a request for a script of my from a VP of Development at a cable network. However, he requested I mail it in. That's great, but should I include anything else in the package, like a cover letter or a note of thanks?

Yes, definitely include some kind of personal communication. It looks weird to just send a script by itself... not to mention the fact that they could assume the script is an unsolicited submission rather than something the exec asked for if there's no note or letter indicating why they're receiving it.

If you want to be formal and professional, send a cover letter. "Per your request, I am enclosing a copy of my screenplay for your consideration." If you want to be more casual about it, a buck slip or a post-it note that says, "Here's my script, as discussed. Looking forward to your thoughts." Or something like that.

Personally, I think a cover letter is classier, especially if you're approaching them about working in a professional capacity. Buck slips and post-it notes are, IMO, more casual forms of communication intended for people who are already familiar with one another.

Done Deal Pro
10-01-2012, 06:02 PM
As SoCal noted, definitely send a short but sweet cover letter which you should paperclip to the front of the script. Buck slips, are used by reps or internally within a company or studio when passing stuff around. They (or a post-it note) are too casual for someone you are not formally/yet working with.

Also, the letter should be done in a "business" format so you not only look professional but it also is used for your records: name of executive, network, address, etc. and your name, address, etc.

MattyLock
10-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Thanks guys!