PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Horror Stories - John Jarell - must read

Chief
12-21-2012, 07:16 PM
http://scriptshadow.net/hollywood-horror-stories-from-screenwriterjohn-jarrell/

First day working, I go into a story meeting with the company’s “Creative” VP and Head of Development. We dug in and spent several hours doing notes starting Page One — discussing what they thought worked, what didn’t, and what I’d need to address in my rewrite.

At one point, the VP looks up at me and says, “Wow, John. This description on page fifty-two is really good writing. Would you mind reading it out loud?”

Flattery will get you everywhere with a screenwriter, and I’m sure I flushed with pride as I found the page and paused to clear my throat.

The set up was simple — a grieving daughter (our protagonist) looking through her deceased Mother’s belongings, which have been boxed up and stored in the attic. The beat offered a brief respite from all the genre action, gave us a further glimpse into our lead’s character, and prompted her discovery of an important clue at the end.

This was the description I wrote, verbatim –

“She rifles several of the boxes, finding little more than old letters and checkbook stubs, key chains and their forgotten keys. The meaningless remnants of our too brief lives.”

There was a long pause after I finished. The VP and Head of Development were nodding their heads in synchronized approval. Then the VP says –

“Yeah, it’s really great. Great stuff.”
(HARD BEAT)
“Lose the poetry, John, cut it all out. It’s slowing down the script.”

Southern_land
12-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Weird, that page won't format for me, everything's gone to a single colum of words down the left side of the screen

Butch Jarvinen
12-21-2012, 09:43 PM
same same

ComicBent
12-21-2012, 11:15 PM
The formatting ... I fixed it. The double-spacing was lost because only one hard return was present, not two, between paragraphs.

Sometimes when you copy-and-paste, the hard returns do not work right. This is especially prone to happen if you use Notepad anywhere along the way.

However, it worked when I used copy-and-paste from the original and went through Notepad. Who knows?

Max Otto Schrenck
12-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Little did Jarell know that by presenting himself on ScriptShadow, he is continuing to feed the horror that his Hollywood life was and could become again....

I confess, however, to having read the article in question (thereby boosting the number of visitors at the accursed site by at least one).

I thought the point behind Jarell's recounting of his experience was that, after he went to all the trouble (NINE MONTHS' WORTH OF REWRITING), to trim "the poetry" from his script, and thereby stay on board (and keep getting paid), the project fell through anyway, chopped in favor of a ghetto-'sploitation flick that bombed and went almost directly to DVD. And Jarell and his girlfriend ended up pushing burgers back at Wendy's or something....

Which just goes to show: even when you're willing to sell your soul, you may find NO BUYERS. :|

Southern_land
12-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Weird, that page won't format for me, everything's gone to a single colum of words down the left side of the screen

Fixed it, went to tools and unticked compatability view

thatcomedian
12-22-2012, 02:14 PM
even when you're willing to sell your soul, you may find NO BUYERS. :|
You should make this your sig.:devil:

Max Otto Schrenck
12-22-2012, 05:14 PM
You should make this your sig.:devil:

That would only be the sign if someone BOUGHT YOUR SOUL. :devil:

If not, the best I can do is :artist:

thatcomedian
12-22-2012, 05:56 PM
That would only be the sign if someone BOUGHT YOUR SOUL. :devil:

If not, the best I can do is :artist:
I meant what I quoted from you, should be your sig.

Max Otto Schrenck
12-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Oh. I see. How un-hip me.

I'll think about it. Thanks for the suggestion. I thimk. :eek: