PDA

View Full Version : Query Question

ACE21
01-16-2013, 03:02 PM
I was wondering when sening out query letters/emails to mangers or even production companies, should you just focus one at a time or can you send multiple query letters at the same time?

If you do send multiple query letters should you mention that you sent it to other places to?

evan_g
01-16-2013, 05:30 PM
I was wondering when sening out query letters/emails to mangers or even production companies, should you just focus one at a time or can you send multiple query letters at the same time?

Send out queries in batches. 10 to 20 a day. Then judge by the response whether or not your logline or query letter itself is doing the business. If so, proceed with another batch. If not, refine before you send the next batch.

If you do send multiple query letters should you mention that you sent it to other places to?

No.

And make sure you spell check your query letters ;)

CameronAlexander
01-16-2013, 07:16 PM
I agree with everything Evan said.

GirlinGray
01-23-2013, 03:07 AM
Multiple submissions are the norm in Hollywood. You donít have to say you are doing it, everyone knows. Evanís approach is a good approach. Send out some batches, see how they do, if they do well, keep using that query, if they donít, refine the query and test batch again.

ACE21
04-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Another thing when sending a query by email what do you put in the subject line?

Jim E
04-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Another thing when sending a query by email what do you put in the subject line?

Whatever works.

If you have a cool title (SNAKES ON A PLANE) just put that in the subject line.
If you just did something cool -- won a screenplay contest -- try something like: NICHOLL WINNER'S ACTION SCRIPT

Try a couple things and keep track of what gets a bite. IMO, using the word "query" does not work.

Best of luck!

jsay
04-01-2013, 12:48 PM
I aim to keep it conversational too... not like a form letter.

Racoon
04-03-2013, 08:57 PM
What has gotten me many reads is using in subject line, the genre of script such as:

Thriller/suspense script

Mystic western script

Romantic comedy script

Don't make it to long, let them know what genre it is and it might peak their interest.

Racoon

ACE21
04-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Thanks everybody for the great advice.

I have another question, what if hypothetically speaking I submit an animted series proposal to an animated production company in Canada and they like it and want to make it. It gets made and airs on one of the Canadian networks and by chance CN,Nickelodeon, or Disney Channel decides to license it.

For example if I created a series called My Dog Barkley it gets made and Disney Channel license it. If I wanted to pitch anyother series to say CN or Nickelodeon could I put in the query letter that I created My Dog Barkley that curretnly is licensed on the Disney Channel?

SoCalScribe
04-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks everybody for the great advice.

I have another question, what if hypothetically speaking I submit an animted series proposal to an animated production company in Canada and they like it and want to make it. It gets made and airs on one of the Canadian networks and by chance CN,Nickelodeon, or Disney Channel decides to license it.

For example if I created a series called My Dog Barkley it gets made and Disney Channel license it. If I wanted to pitch anyother series to say CN or Nickelodeon could I put in the query letter that I created My Dog Barkley that curretnly is licensed on the Disney Channel?

Mentioning that you've already created a show that generated enough network interest to get a pickup is absolutely worth mentioning in a query letter for subsequent series ideas.