PDA

View Full Version : Credit questions

Pasquali56
02-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Some questions related to credits on a $10 million budget movie with a theatrical release:

1. Can you still get membership in the Guild with a shared screenplay credit on that movie? Or must you have sole credit?
2. If you're not a member of the Guild, but the contract says the credits will be determined based on WGA guidelines and there's a dispute, who makes the final decision regarding credits? Is it the producer?
3. Approximately what percentage of the script must be changed in a rewrite (by a second writer) for the original writer to lose even a shared credit? Again, this is non-Guild project -- but the contract states Guild guidelines.
4. Does a story credit (in lieu of a screenplay credit) do anything at all towards a Guild membership?
5. Finally, not really a credit question, but what is the current purchase price for a screenplay on a film like that ($10 million budget; theatrical release)?

Thanks in advance!

SoCalScribe
02-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Some questions related to credits on a $10 million budget movie with a theatrical release:

1. Can you still get membership in the Guild with a shared screenplay credit on that movie? Or must you have sole credit?

Guild membership is determined by points accumulated through writing steps performed on guild signatory projects. The credit doesn't factor in; what's important for the points accrual is whether you wrote a draft, a rewrite, or a polish.

2. If you're not a member of the Guild, but the contract says the credits will be determined based on WGA guidelines and there's a dispute, who makes the final decision regarding credits? Is it the producer?

If it's not a guild signatory project, the contract should either specify the credit you'll receive, or will indicate who is responsible for determining credit (usually the producer or the prodco).

3. Approximately what percentage of the script must be changed in a rewrite (by a second writer) for the original writer to lose even a shared credit? Again, this is non-Guild project -- but the contract states Guild guidelines.

I think it's 50% to relegate the original writer to story credit. Not totally sure on that, though, so if someone else knows, please correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Does a story credit (in lieu of a screenplay credit) do anything at all towards a Guild membership?

No. Again, guild membership is determined by writing work performed per your contract, not by the credit ultimately assigned on the finished film (see #1 above).

5. Finally, not really a credit question, but what is the current purchase price for a screenplay on a film like that ($10 million budget; theatrical release)?

There is no "current" or "standard" purchase price, especially if it's a non-guild signatory project. A fair estimate is 2.5% of the budget... so in this case, I don't think $250,000 would be an unreasonable purchase price. Keep in mind, though, that if it's your first feature and/or if there's an expectation of significant additional work being done on the script, that estimate may be more than someone is willing to pay. In all likelihood, a producer may offer you guild minimum (or less) if it's not a signatory project.

Pasquali56
02-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Thanks for your response. I sure appreciate it.