PDA

View Full Version : Residuals

ACE21
03-24-2013, 06:45 PM
I was wondering how are writers who work on Nickelodeon or Disney Channel sitcoms get residuals?

What I mean is these types of shows are rarely if every syndicated to other networks.

artisone
03-25-2013, 03:26 PM
From reruns of your written episode.

SoCalScribe
03-28-2013, 11:01 PM
I was wondering how are writers who work on Nickelodeon or Disney Channel sitcoms get residuals?

What I mean is these types of shows are rarely if every syndicated to other networks.

There's a difference between syndication and residuals. Residuals are payments made to the creator of an artistic product for reuse (e.g., when writers are paid for subsequent airings of episodes that they write). Syndication is the right to exhibit a product in multiple venues (e.g., when a comic strip is printed in multiple newspapers, or when TNT shows old episodes of LAW & ORDER).

Thus, even though Disney Channel and Nickelodeon shows aren't often syndicated (shown on other networks), the writers can still earn residuals if and when the episodes they write are re-aired on the same network. A good example of this situation is when they air a "marathon" of last season's episodes in advance of a season premiere, or when they rerun earlier episodes from the season during the holiday break. The writers of those episodes would get paid residuals for the rerun of those episodes, even if the show isn't syndicated to show another network.